Tacoma, WA
Before care: Yes

Posted July 18, 2014
We recently finished our first year at CWA and have been very pleased with our experience. We found a welcoming community with top-notch teachers who offer a curriculum that is challenging, thorough and thoughtful. The faculty is truly incredible and really 'get' my child. Most importantly, the mutual respect between students and teachers is something you just have to see for yourself. I appreciate that students feel safe, allowing them to take risks in the classroom, on the field, and in the arts. Charles Wright has been our best investment.

Posted June 30, 2014
We have a son who is a graduate of CWA and a daughter who is a rising 9th grader. Because of the superb teachers (many with advanced degrees and with international living and/or teaching experience), college preparatory curriculum, excellent sports and extracurricular programs, and two full time college counselors, our son ended up accepted to five of his six "first choice" colleges, received scholarship offers at most of these, and is thriving. His mandatory senior year internship yielded a summer and winter break job, too! Because he had small classes at CWA, he feels very comfortable speaking up in college classes and getting to know his professors. Our daughter is excited to begin her high school years at CWA. Her middle school teachers are very strong in their academic fields, and also understand the emotional roller coaster that middle school years are everywhere, and work extremely well with students and parents who are navigating this transition. Our advice is to schedule a tour, especially when school is in session, and talk with current students, parents, and teachers to see if CWA is a good match for your children. It sure has been for ours.

Charles Wright Academy 1

Posted April 29, 2014
My kids went to CWA from per-k thru 5th grade, and it is our opinion that the teachers are not experienced enough to adequately educate at the 5th grade level. Our child complained that his education was confusing and disappointing. CWA requires parents to let them know before July 1 if they are going to enroll for the following school year. I let them know I was not going to re-enroll for the coming school year and all of a sudden they are now trying to sue me for damages, claiming they didn t receive my notice. What damages, when the next school year hasn t even begun?! How aggressive is that?! They must really need the money. Way to thank good paying parents who had their kids enrolled in the school for years, pre-dating this situation. What ever happened to the notion that the customer is always right? Do we have to send things certified, return receipt requested, to be safe when communicating with this school? I m disgusted with the way the school has dealt with this situation--I would not refer my friends children to it in the future. The school is overrated and pretentious, aggressive and unfriendly.

Posted April 01, 2014
We are thrilled with our entire experience at Charles Wright. Our daughter joined the CWA family as a sixth grader, after five years of homeschool. She has made many friends, is excelling in all academic areas, loves her teachers, and is thoroughly enjoying both performing and fine arts. The teachers are highly skilled at building relationships with both the students and their families, providing opportunities for critical thinking skills to develop and flourish, and offering guidance and support as needed. Although the cost is very sacrificial for our family, it is worth EVERY penny and we look forward to our son joining his sister at school next year.

Posted December 14, 2013
Exceptional faculty and leadership combined with philosophy of inclusion and challenge create an exemplary learning experience.

Posted September 01, 2012
I can not say enough great things about this school. I have been in the upper school for two years after transferring from public schools. I was nervous at first about the small size of the school due to the fact that I didn't know if I would find people I liked there, however, this turned out to be a blessing. All the kids in all classes know each other on a personal basis. After a week there, the receptionist, the head of the upper school, head of the school, and both of the deans of students knew me by name. The kids here are extremely inclusive and inviting. I was frustrated at my last school because it was viewed as "uncool" to try and do well in school and wanting to succeed academically. Here the kids all care about how they do academically. However, they still have social lives just like normal teenagers. The teachers are exceptional. They make lessons very informative and interesting and always have time to help with things you don't understand. They even give out their home phone numbers to call if you need help after school! In two years, I can not find anything negative to say about this school.

Posted December 14, 2010
Charles Wright Academy is the best. My son started at CWA in the 6th grade and will continue through the Upper School. Within CWA, there is a culture among students, parents, and staff that places a high value on learning and acheivement. We surveyed other schools in the South Sound and are very glad to be associated with CWA.

Posted November 18, 2010
Charles Wright Academy is the finest private school in the south sound region of Washington State. My two children joined CWA in Middle School. Their transition from a much smaller private school was seamless. The school offers a challenging academic environment which is balanced by an array of sports, music, theatre, arts, outdoor ed, clubs, organizations, etc. There is something for everyone at Charles Wright Academy, including parents. If you want to be involved at your children's school and if you want to be a part of a "community", then CWA is the school for you and your family. I would highly recommend Charles Wright to any family who wants to provide their child/children with the best possible, most well-rounded education available in the greater Tacoma area. CWA's students come from all over the south sound, because it's worth it and that speaks volumes!

Posted November 18, 2010
I ve had a lot of experience in teaching (43 years). Charles Wright gives each student/parent a chance to become involved in an incredible learning environment. After spending 25 years in the public schools, I find it truly enriching and up lifting that I m able to spend quality time with each of my students as they have need. If a better learning opportunity exists, I don t know where you would find it. Administrators, teachers, and staff work together as a cohesive unit with the goal being to educate our students. We have set and reached a very high level competency for our students. The results on national tests (AP Calculus 40% above the national average) and in college performance (The grades students get at CWA compare very favorably to the grades they get in college) speak to the level of preparation each student attains. I came here to complete my 30-year teaching career and can t get myself to quit. What a wonderful place to teach.

Posted November 12, 2010
One of the most impressive things about Charles Wright Academy is that teachers have the flexibility to teach about subjects in ways that best meet the students' needs. Classrooms are filled with hands-on learning, laughter, discussion, reading, writing, and problem solving. We foster in students the skills to become lifelong self-directed learners who are interested in the world, through making learning fun and pulling back the curtain on what it means to learn.

Charles Wright Academy
7723 Chambers Crk Rd W, Tacoma, WA  98467
Last modified Charles Wright Academy is a Private school that serves grades PK-12
Charles Wright Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top