Tacoma, WA

Posted April 22, 2014
My kids have been at Brookdale for 3 years now and every year seems to get better and better. They have a new music teacher that has made music fun and interactive for all the kids. Test scores have been improving but what I find the most important is that the staff cares about the children as a whole, not just specific to subjects tested on. The PTA is small but growing, they really focus on providing great opportunities to the kids outside the classroom as well as encouraging family time such as family craft night and movie nights.

Posted November 25, 2013
My daughter is in her second (and last) year in the Excel program here. She loved it here last year and found the transition from her home school to be a positive experience. However, this year the program is vastly different than it was last year and she is not learning as much. The staff as a whole seems to be very student centered, truly caring about the kids and wanting what is best for them. The parents, unfortunately seem to come to events that involve free food, but getting them to volunteer is very difficult.

Posted July 13, 2009

Brookdale Elementary School 1

Posted October 20, 2008

Brookdale Elementary School 3

Posted October 08, 2006
As a mom of students who have attended Brookdale for a while now I must say that it seems like there is way to much pressure on learning for the WASL rather than learning for life. I feel academics are very important but I would have to say that so is the fun of being a child. The staff is fantastic don't get me wrong. I just feel that schools now days are more worried about numbers than the days when parents were in school when the worry was teaching kids to be successful. There is a decent amount of parent involvement when the call goes out.

Brookdale Elementary School 2

Posted September 22, 2006
I am not impressed with this school. My daughter is in her second and last year at this school and we have not been happy. They do still have a music program but like much of the staff she has been doing things the same way for more than 15 years and sees no need for change. Some teachers do not want parents in the classroom at all. I prefer a school that welcomes parent involvement. If academics is your only concern than its an ok school, but if you want your child t fell safe and cared for do what I did and find a new school

Posted November 29, 2005

Posted August 02, 2005
I am a single mother of 4 girls all of whom have attended Brookdale (3 of whom still do). Two of my children have serious learning disabilities. The teachers and staff at Brookdale have been amazing!! I never worry if my children are achidemically on target or retaining important information. I know that my girls will be properly prepared to move on to the next fase of their education.

Brookdale Elementary School 3

Posted March 30, 2005
My daughter has gone here for three years and the first year her teacher was horrible,the next year her teacher was better...this year the teacher is great! I would say that the school means well and is trying to improove things..and they have. Someimes I have just found their way of dealing with issues that arise among the children to be well...less than sensitive.

Posted February 19, 2005
my children have been going here for the last 6 years. if you get a chance have you child go to mrs carey's class she is one of the best teached i have ever saw. i am in the military and i had to leave for a few months during the school year. my daughter started having a hard time in one of her subjects. Mrs Carey took her personal time and stayed in contact with me by email about helping my daughter out and her progress. She is the greatest. They also have a great gym teacher how takes personal interest in all the students. he is also involved in the PTA activies. The PTA is also very interested in he school and tries to do activies for the children all school year.

Brookdale Elementary School
611 132nd St South, Tacoma, WA  98444
Last modified Brookdale Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brookdale Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top