Washington High School

Public | 9-12 | 1007 students

Posted September 26, 2013

Alright, so putting aside "Patriot Pride" or whatever other buzzwords get plastered on here, this school was decent enough. I recently graduated from WHS as a part-time student there, the rest being spent as a Running Start Student. WHS is NOT by any means a bad school. They have done much to improve their image. It is a fairly safe school and quite honestly had some of the greatest teachers that I have ever met. The 70% rule was fantastic. If you can't do that you better like working a dead-end job because it doesn't get any easier post High School. Now, as I said this WAS a great rule. Now it's just stupid. Students being able to retake tests in order to pass, grade padding with a ridiculous percentage of the final grade being attributed to homework and attendance, it's all just lying really. A student shouldn't be able to skip a test because they can retake it until they pass. Even blind guessing will eventually get them a 70% so whats the point. Why pass unable students through the system? It's not helping anyone. In the end, that's what ruins this school's scores. Not it's "lack of caring teachers" nor it's "passiveness" it's the fact that it's to lazy to fix itself.

Posted January 27, 2013

Best teachers! I enjoy everything this school has to offer. The coaches are cool and very inspirational.

Posted November 5, 2012

I love this school ! I'm proud to say that i'm a Patriot! This is honestly the BEST high school ever.

Posted October 6, 2011

As a senior at Washington High School and someone who has attended this school since freshmen year I believe our school deserves a much better rating. Our test sores have improved greatly and we have made our school have a family like environment. Everyone from freshmen to seniors show their pride every Friday. We support our football team with huge audiences and we always know how to do things right. Washington High School is an amazing school wit the best teachers out there. They don't come to school everyday just to teach, they build relationships with us and help us be successful in all we want to do. If it wasn't for their amazing encouragement and involvement our school wouldn't be as great as t it, not to mention we have great administrators that actually take part and care about what we do. I love WHS :)

Posted September 23, 2011

I'm currently a senior at WHS and I can say with conviction that it is the best school I've ever been to. Our principle is always out and about, ready to answer questions or encourage us when we need a pick-me-up; the staff is incredibly kind and ready to help anyone at the drop of a hat; my counselor has gotten to know me on a personal level and genuinely cares about my future; and my teachers? Don't get me started! I've never had a teacher at WHS that I haven't liked. I consider many of them to be mentors and role models rather than simple instructors. The teachers at WHS invest in their students personally, and are always there if we have troubles - inside OR outside of school. Though it's corny, a few of my teachers have helped shape the person I am today. There are those rare "inspirational" teachers who stick with you long after you graduate. Our school climate is awesome. For the most part, everyone respects and loves one another. I have never felt unsafe or threatened at WHS, and we have a zero-tolerance stance on bullying. There are tons of different clubs, we have monthly homework help and study sessions, and no one is excluded. Everyone has a place at WHS!

Posted September 23, 2011

Best school EVER! Honestly, i've gone here 3 years, and it's been the best 3 years of my life. The leadership program continues to get stronger and the school continues to get better! Love all the teachers and everyone is SUPER Friendly. Also, there is an overload of pride and spirit at this school. Gotta love that PATRIOT PRIDE! I <3 WHS :)

Posted December 16, 2010

I go to this school right now as a freshmand. Its okayy but people are so passive. But there is a lot of school spirit so i guess thats cool. The teachers are really cool and there is a lot of freedom in the class room. But maybe too much freedom. Its not a bad school but honestly it depends on the type of person that you are in order to like it. :)

Posted April 8, 2010

I love Washington High School. I have been there all four years and I wouldn't change it for anything. The teachers and students of WHS are all accepting of everyone. There is never bullying here and there aren't even cliques. We all hang out with each other and every kid there has school spirit, whether they show it or not. Many students have transfered from Franklin Pierce and every one I've had the opportunity to talk to have ALL said that WHS is much more relaxed and much more fun. And everyone who transfers from WHS to FP always transfer back. We have a reputation of being a bad school, but that's only because we're small. I love my school.

Posted December 29, 2009

I personally think that naming WHS 'Washington High School' was a big mistake. If it was named 'Parkland High School' it would give the school and town so much more pride and WHS would no longer be the high school in Tacoma that people always ask, 'Where's that?'. Names can really help identify a school and associate it with the town it represents. Parkland has a lot to offer especially with PLU right in the heart of town. Such a great university that really should give our town a superb image. Parkland could revolve around WHS if only the community would support the school more! WHS has a lot of great students, teachers, and staff and a small town feel. If only everyone would embrace WHS more instead of always pointing out the negative aspects they would see how diverse of a school it is and it's potential.

Posted September 18, 2009

it is a great school... for students to successed in life.. the teachers are great in different ways.....

Posted September 16, 2009

I like that the teacher are always available to discuss how my child is doing in their class and at the school in general. The staff is helpful.

Posted June 16, 2009

Washington High School is a wonderful school, despite all of the negative reviews its recieving. I really don't think parents have a right to rate this school, after all, they aren't the ones ATTENDING it. How do they know what the teachers are like? How do they know what the classes are like? How do they know how students interact? They DON'T. I'm a student at WHS and I have to say---I love it. I have the best teachers who actually take the time to help me understand the material. They also care about my well-being. My classes are interesting. My classmates (for the most part) are respectful. Sure, there are some idiots, but that isn't a reflection of the school itself; you're going to find idiots everywhere. WHS is a great school, but I guess if you don't want your kids to have great, caring teachers, don't send them here.

Posted April 27, 2009

Most people just look at the negitive neds of the school but why dont they take out the time to look at the true patriots and the great things about this school. they have great support team and great spirit!!!!!! Go Pats!!!

Posted January 23, 2009

i definetly give this a five star because my daughter learns so much. my son said he feels very safe here.

Posted November 19, 2008

I love this school absolutely friendly no 'cliques' Everyone is accepted here

Posted August 21, 2008

I love attending washington! I am sad that this is my senior year! All of the faculty put our best intrests at heart and help us succeed!

Posted June 3, 2008

Wonderful school! I really feel like my child's best interest is taken into consideration. The teachers really seem to care, and my child is happy to learn! The test scores are climbing by large increments every year, so they must be moving foward and not looking back!

Posted March 14, 2008

Horrible school. Poor teachers that don't know how to motivate their students, as shown by the test scores. Poor security as well.

Posted February 28, 2008

I am a former part time student of WHS, and it was a wonderful experience for me. I found the teachers and staff to be very nice and helpful. All I had to do was ask and they would set up a time for me to come in and get help if I needed. I would often go in before my classes just to talk with the librarians. It is a very diverse school, with students from many different backgrounds. It is not one for good sports, and I think that their portfolio thing is ridiculous. WHS has its problems, but so does every school. I found no problem keeping up my grades. The kids that had problems were the ones who were talking or texting in class and who did not take advantage of asking for help after school.

Posted January 26, 2008

I am a former student from the class of 2005. I also have a sister who became a freshman when I became a senior. From my experiences with making visits to the school after graduation and while I attended the school I can say that it is simply not up to par. Most of the teachers have little or no passion in what they teach and drama runs rampant throughout the school. The only school organizations that gets any praise or funding is the Cheer squad and the Football team which both perform poorly for the amount of attention they recive. Now as for the 70% rule, its average, simply said if a student finds that too hard to acheive then the student isnt trying hard enough or the staff dosent recognize a mentally challenged student.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

105 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

37 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

93 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

192 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

102 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

51 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

16 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students37%

All Students25%
Low income27%
Not special education29%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

233 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

240 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

238 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

238 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 9N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 66%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

12420 Ainsworth Ave South