Alki Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 243 students

Posted May 13, 2014

I'm a seventh grader at Alki. It's pretty nice here. I like the staff. The principle is leaving . we're getting a new one, but from, what I've heard she doesn't sound nice.

Posted December 19, 2013

I attend alki middle school and I say out of 5 stars this school needs 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars this school gives so much care and my teacher are beyond amazing we even have I pads! This school helps family's in the district but also people who don't even live in a house.we have so much fun but yet have the highest test scores in Vancouver. Please make the right choice.

Posted December 17, 2013

I LOVE THIS SCHOOL. It's sic an honor to be at this school. My favorite teacher at the school is my temporarily Teaching choir teacher. his name is Mr.Denton. he's the best teacher you could ever have. HE'S AWESOME. He gives good advice and he's pretty wise :) I recommend coming here.

Posted August 16, 2013

I am a soon to be 8th grader at alki. I've been going here since 2011. I love this school but the only thing that bothers me is that all the teachers try to hunt down girls that are somewhat being inappropriate when it's not even that bad. I got in trouble for having my tank top strap hanging out and I think that's absolutely ridiculous, I mean come on what's so inappropriate about a strap? And the shoulder rule when you have to have your shirt be the majority of you shoulder. I also think that they should change the bandas rule. Like seriously, I know it's a sign of people that like the same kind of gender as them but they should still be able too. I wear it to support them. And not wearing bandas for some people is like saying its wrong that they like the same gender as themselves. The last thing I have to say is the shorts part. I think it's not right to put a rule that if your fingertips are longer then your shorts then it's inappropriate. I have really long arms so If I were to wear shorts they would have to be to almost to my knees. I hate shorts like that. Please please please change theses rules!! I love this school just not the dress code.

Posted May 19, 2010

Excellent academics, athletics, art and music. Highly effective principal. The teachers care about the student's academic achievement and involvement.

Posted April 5, 2010

I like the teachers and school work but the one thing that isn't very wondeerful about this school is the drama. It follows you whever you go.

Posted October 19, 2009

Right now i am currently a 7th grade student at the school and i must say that i have seen the reviews so far some bad some good so i'm here to put my input Alki middle school is great although some teachers could be more supportive most are great and want to help you althought during spring and summer they do really crack down on the clothing rules. May i warn you though for any students that are thinking about Alki that they do NOT have lockers so you do have to carry everything with you . The intermerial teachers are wonderful adn nice so there should not be a problem with them I prefer Mrs. Hebner the choir teacher and the spanish teacher Mrs. Myres( having her baby soon!) The spanish though is only fro 7th and 8th graders and you have to be approved. Good bye Go Wolves!!!!

Posted August 12, 2009

Being a student at Alki middle school I've learned from this passed year that the teachers seemed to be more concerned about dress code than teaching. If they would have put as much effort in helping students and listening to concerns as they put into finding the girl with the shorest shorts or the boy with the lowest pants, maybe Alki could have had a better outcome in some students education. My personal opinion.

Posted February 4, 2009

I am a student attending Alki right now as a seventh grader. I find that all of my teachers are extremely nice, but there are some that are better than others. The main problem is the students. The 8th graders this year are a pretty rough bunch and I have heard numerous complaints about them made by teachers. But, taking away the entire 8th grade, I feel that this school has been a good experience and will hopefully be a good preparation for high school.

Posted July 18, 2008

I just graduated from Alki this year. I also went to Pleasant Valley Middle School and Gaiser Middle Schol. I thought that Alki was an ok school. The students come from wealthy familys. I trasfered in the middle of the year and did not feel very welcomed by most of the staff or students. I was lucky because i happened to have known students at the school because if i hadnt i think i would have been all alone. There are not very many extra curricular ativities besides sports. There are some good teachers but there are also alot of horrible teachers. Some are very nice but do not help the students learn. If I could choose if I went to Alki after my experiences I wouldnt have changes school.

Posted May 7, 2008

My son is an honor roll student this year, and a very successful student. My son s success is truly due to his effort and not due to the school administration. On two separate occasions, I have had an opportunity to interact with the Alki Middle School administration. I found the principal and associate principal to be extremely argumentative and unwilling or unable to assist with any resolution.

Posted April 25, 2008

My son has some learning difficulties and this School has done everything to help and gone beyond in my view.Thank you from the bottom of my Heart!

Posted April 11, 2008

I have found the principle and associate principles to argumentative, unreasonable, and disrespectful.

Posted June 14, 2007

My child went from being a 4.0 student to a less than 2.0 student in his first year at this school. When contacting teachers, counselors and principals I found them to be disrespectful of both the students and other staff members and unresponsive to parents. My child changed schools and is getting back on track. My child had attended the elementary school next door so the transition should not have been the problem. I'm sure it is a good school for some but it just wasn't for us. Unless you have time to volunteer at the school you will not know how your kid is doing.

Posted June 10, 2007

ALKI is the best school I have ever gone to I have been to Gaiser, Jefferson, Mac, and others but ALKI was the best. In this school people (the kids) accept all people into their groups I have never felt more welcome number one school. The Principals are great. The office knows all the kids like their allergies, likes, dislikes, etc... I love ALKI!

Posted December 30, 2006

hi i am a student and i think the alki middle school is a really bad school the kids there are fine but the princeipal and teachers are simply unaware of what is happening around them the only good teachers that are there in the 6th grade is the p.e teachers.

Posted April 19, 2006

Alki middle school is a great school. It was a great learning experience and it is set up between chinook elementry school and Skyview highschool, which is great if you have kids at all 3 levels.There are music programs, art programs and a friendly staff.

Posted September 3, 2005

My son had a very positive educational experience at Alki. I was impressed by the staff and the level of academic quality, as well as the opportunities for sports and extracurricular activities.

Posted April 22, 2005

Alki is a school afraid of change. The new principal is a wonderful person but Alki's teachers, students and parents recieved her with a closed mind. She was unwelcome from the start. I do think Alki is making a change for the positive under her leadership. Alki students need to learn that they are children, not adults and should behave accordingly. Peer pressure seems to big at this school and the students are way too grown for their age. Academics at Alki are excellent and there are many extracurriculars to choose from. This community cares alot about their kids. Parents flock the schoo in an almost annoying manner. All in all I wouldn't not reccomend Alki for your child; as long as they know what their values are and stay grounded, their miiddle school experience at Alki should be pleasant.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted February 13, 2005

I went to Alki before moving. I liked the school under Mr. Little. He was a fantasic principal. I don't think he could have done a better job. The new principal is inadequate. There was no connection between her and the students. The teachers and classmates that I had were great. Many teachers were dissatisfied with her approach to leading a school.
—Submitted by a former student

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

251 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

250 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

228 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

227 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

226 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

All Students65%

Not low income80%
Special education32%
Not special education82%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

All Students100%

Average years educational experience 11N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 79%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Choir / Chorus

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1800 NW Bliss Rd