Columbia River High School

Public | 9-12

Posted October 10, 2013

100% done with everything surrounding the IB program. I do not recommend it unless you want the teachers to already expect you to know everything without sufficient direction. Not pleased. Bad choice. That is all.

Posted October 9, 2013

This school has been great so far! The IB program my daughter is involved in is wonderful. The school is more intimate and has a family feel. There are still plenty of opportunities for variety but it does not seem to be overwhelming to my student.

Posted August 1, 2013

i love the school and love that the teacher are great with the kids. i would tell my friend to put there kids in this high school

Posted June 11, 2013

My daughter is in the IB program, band and varsity sports, we also have an in coming freshmen. We have been VERY PLEASED with the size of the school, the teachers and just the over all feel of CRHS. We know that our children are getting a great education.!!!

Posted June 11, 2012

LOVE ITT!! Teachers are great, students are great (no stupid drama), and a great learning experiance... although hard at times its never so much you cant handle it :)

Posted May 27, 2012

Excellent school for motivated students. My IB sophomore loves it. CR has a variety of sports and clubs as well as high standard academics. There is no PTA but they seem to do fine without it. This is a traditional high school that is outstanding in terms of academic results. The schools in Vancouver are overall surprisingly good. From what I have heard next door in Portland the schools have serious problems.

Posted October 19, 2007

For college bound students who enjoy the high school experience you won't find a better combination of high academic standards, competitive athletics, social activities, and dedicated staff. My third full IB diploma child will graduate this spring and I have no doubt will be well prepared for college. Between the three, they have participated in Band, Football, Soccer, Track, NHS, link crew, rally, IB and whatever the group we have found the faculty to be interested, caring and supportive; the parents are actively involved, and the kids are outstanding.

Posted April 21, 2007

From Vancouver, nine of the ten National Merit Scholarship finalists for 2007 came from Columbia River High. I'm very happy with the academic level this school provided my son over the last four years.

Posted March 28, 2007

Columbia River is a great school and if not the best, one of the best schools for advanced/challenging courses. I am a current student in the school. The IB program is a great place for students who are willing to do the extra work and from what I have heard, is a great preparation for college. However, less motivated students may find themselves struggling within the program. The Full IB option for students, beginning from the Junior year is a rigorous course and nearly the entire day at school is dedicated to IB course work. Less than 30 students, I believe take this option. Students can also choose to select a few IB classes with the others at the standard level. This is the most popular choice. The teachers are very helpful and personable. I would say all except a select few are very competent.

Posted May 21, 2006

awsome school, man this has to be on of the best schools i have ever been to, except sonora of course, but thats in cali., anyways i love that they have an IB system, i took the test already but then heard i had to move and was scared i wouldn't be able to take those classes

Posted February 13, 2006

This school has a lot of great programs and a very dedicated staff. Every teacher I have worked with has been wonderful.

Posted January 10, 2006

Quality of academics great! Parent involvement awesome and that is what makes it work.

Posted January 9, 2006

Oustanding academic programs and first rate teachers, This is a great community for adolescents to find their place and prepare for adulthood
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 12, 2005

Love it all. Such a great atomosphere and people are so genuine. No childish drama either. The school is filled with spirit for the sports teams and filled with passion to learn.

Posted June 3, 2005

My experience with this school comes from calling for info prior to moving to this area. I called many local High Schools, this school seems warm and interested in my child.

Posted April 20, 2005

To be perfectly honest I am not thrilled with the quality of guidance that we or our child is getting from his counselor. Our son has ADHD - Innattentive and requires extreme guidance - overseeing and they are just like well let's just get him through tis and we worry about the rest later. But he is overwhelmed by the amount of work that needs to be done.

Posted March 25, 2005

I have three seniors graduating from River this year and I can honestly say all three have had a fantastic experience. Teachers are kind, committed and caring. Parents are involved for the most part. I would recommend this school to anyone moving into the Vancouver area. I have another child entering this next year as a freshman and she will be doing the IB program, I am hoping to be equally satisfied with this experience.

Posted March 3, 2005

Columbia River is a great school! The IB program is awesome! The principal is one of the best in the district and is known for genuine compassion, involvement and comittment to the students. His leadership is reflected in the staff values and their dedication to excellence in student success and continuous improvement. The sports and music programs are awesome. Students values and sportmanship is incredible. For instance there are special Ed students in the competitive sports and music arenas and I was especially touched by the students and staff support and encouragement of these students. These are the type of values I want my childern to foster now and as adults in the community. Lots of community involvement is generated by this school. I give a 5-star rating and the school is only improving. They sincerely embrace the no child left behind...just look at the low drop out rate 1.8%.

Posted February 22, 2005

Columbia river has an outstanding student environment with people who truley care for one another. All the students interact freely with one another and the special ed kids are treated equally. I REPEAT specail ed kids are treated equally with care and the teachers show great hospitality everyone. The parents are very involved and sports are good.

Posted February 6, 2005

Columbia river high school is a horrible school to send special education students there. The teachers select students to work one on one with. My brother, sister and I were students there and the three of us all had horrible experiences there. Do not send your child to this school if s/he has speical education needs.
—Submitted by a former student

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 54% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 82% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 93% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 53% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 96% in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 22% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 66% in 2013.

196 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 72% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 28% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 61% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 19% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 35% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 35% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 30% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 23% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 15% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 34% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 20% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 18% in 2013.

All Students64%

White60%
Not low income64%
Not special education55%

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2010.

296 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 84% in 2013.

326 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 50% in 2011.

333 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 85% in 2013.

327 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the High School Proficiency Exam (HSPE) to test students in reading and writing in grade 10. Math skills are tested by the End-of-Course (EOC) exams. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Reading

Average years educational experience 13N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 71%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

800 NW 99th St