Vancouver, WA

Martin Luther King Elementary School 1

Posted August 23, 2013
king i thought at first was a good school but they put labels on kids get in trouble once and your a troublemaker and treat the kids that way, they like to suspend kids a lot, and say they cant come back til a meeting happens so when you go to the school for one they forget that they even said that! they play favorites with kids like there is a kid there that is a bully to others and my son told him to stop then the kid hit him and so my son hit him back and my son got suspended for a week and the other kid didnt get in trouble at all, also another time this kid was picking on my sons cousin and again my son said stop being mean and the kid slapped him on his face and of course my son got suspended for 2 weeks and the bus drivers are just as bad, my son refused to give the driver his name and he got kicked off the bus for 6 months but yet 3 little girls call my niece the b word and throw things at everybody and calls everyone bad names cussing and the driver never says anything to them! i wish i was able to get my son in a different school one that he can actually learn at. my son shouldnt have to go to school everyday thinking the whole school hates him specially the teachers!

Martin Luther King Elementary School 1

Posted February 12, 2013
I would just like to warn anyone moving to the Vancouver area that this school is full of children with severe behavior problems. The staff is actually very caring and tries to go above and beyond to do the best they can. My children were removed from this school and moved to a safer school with children that have parents who are more involved. I have no problem with minorities what so ever but I found that the amount of non english speaking children attending was hindering other children from learning. If you choose to have your child attend just be extremely involved, the teachers do allow parent involvement and actually welcome the help.

Martin Luther King Elementary School 3

Posted June 16, 2008
So far things are okay. I'm concerned that there isn't enough parent participation. Communication can be stressful at times. It's not unheard of to receive a flyer after an event. Or, 2-3 about the same event with confliciting information. I would say a parent definitely needs to be involved.

Posted October 19, 2007

Posted April 20, 2005
King is the most wonderful school I could have ever had my children attend. The teachers and staff can not be found any where else. They are the very best.

Posted January 18, 2005
- a former student
I went to King last year! All the teachers that were there were so fun and made learning fun like all teachers should do. I left school every day with a smile on my face because of my teacher Miss.G! She's Awesome! She made every day seem like game not that it really was but she made all most every one in our class WANT to come to school. King is an awesome school and my kids are go'in there.

Martin Luther King Elementary School 4

Posted April 17, 2004
MLK has been a great school for my children. The only problem I have which concerns me is the use of candy as rewards and candy sales to children on campus. I believe parents should have control over whether their children get candy/sugar.

Martin Luther King Elementary School 0

Posted January 02, 2004
- a former student
I'm in the eighth grade and I attended King Elementary.I've been on the honor roll since I was in the fourth grade and I still am today. I will be taking advanced english classes in highschool. I am an A and B student and have never gotten an F in my entire life. King Elementary helped me to get to where I am now and I am thankful for that. My sister also went to King and is now a mortgage broker and her three children all attend King. All of my teachers have high hopes for me and I am going to fullfill them.

Martin Luther King Elementary School 2

Posted September 24, 2003
My stepdaughter attended MLK for 6 years - now at Middle School, it is obvious how unprepared she is for it. She received straight As on all of her report cards in MLK yet still doesn't know her multiple table. They use 'homework packets' so kids never learn how to organize themselves and become responsible for turning in work - and these packets that are assigned a week apart are a far cry from the daily homework middle school requires. She got As in writing at King yet she can't even write an essay or a well formed paragraph. By Middle School they should also be well practiced for oral and written reports -this year will be her first. She passed her Math WASL, yet scored in the bottom 30% of the nation in Math. If we could only get a 'do over'

Martin Luther King Elementary School
4801 Idaho St, Vancouver, WA  98661
Last modified Martin Luther King Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Martin Luther King Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top