Bad
Good

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I have had a math teacher this year (shout out to Mrs, Avery) who has changed the way I see mathematics and helped me a great deal. However, there are some teachers who make the work incredibly easy for students, and make tests basically give away what the answer is.

Amount of homework: Disagree

It's a very mixed format, but lately I've been getting about 1-2 hours a week in each class which is about 8-10 hours a week total.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

My school has been an excellent learning experience for me as a student. We constantly are challeneged in group activities especially in CORE class, which is a class in which you work to create art pieces independently/ with a group.

I just completed my 6th grace year at VSAA. I have to say, I loved it. The way the school runs is unlike any other school. Not only do we have art classes, but every class integrates the arts. For example, in language arts, we did an authors study. Some of the assignments we had were to make a bust of our favorite character from the chosen book out of clay, acting out a scene, and making a puppet show. In this way, we learned about language arts and also theatre, visual arts and literary arts all at once. The school environment is amazing as well. Everyone is friendly, everyone wants to help you do well in your classes. School spirit is very positive. The way VSAA selects its students is not based on artistic talent or grades. Rather, it is based on how well you work in a group, your willingness to learn, your over all attitude, and if you want to learn ALL the art forms. I love the teachers, everyone down to the lunch lady loves being with us every day, and do their job well. I can't possibly imagine a better place to be at everyday!!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers at VSAA connect to the students in ways many teachers don't. Since this is a small school, teachers know all their students by name an might wave to them in the hall. These personal relationships can be very effective when teaching. By integrating the arts, teachers are able to keep a classes attention longer, help them focus on the lesson better, and help students remember the information better. Overall, all our teachers are able to do this. Also, if a student is having trouble with the class he/she is taking, the teachers always do anything they can to help them.

Amount of homework: Agree

It really does depend on the teacher you get, but overall we get a decent amount of homework. I usually have between 30 minutes and a 90 minutes of homework.

My school is Gaiser middle school I really want to go to vsaa because I love sports and singing and dancing

Great school but flawed entrance process. School is filled with top students so test scores reflect. School has about 75% female to 25% male. Entrance should be based on scholastic achievement to get into a lottery based versus hand picked by the principal. Example have a minimum criteria then take the pool of applicants that meet the criteria and have a lottery system. I had a daughter miss an entrance and helped a neighbor get there daughter into VSAA. I also requested entrance info that the principal should post publicly but you have to ask. This info contains elementary schools in the VSD and how many children applied and were accepted. These numbers are very powerful and are available only on request.

to the weirdo who gave this one star, they pick by grades and then by available spots. they dont have sports, but they can compete for any school in the distirct if they want to do sports, so yeah. great school.

this is for the person who says i dont believe this school should be aloud to"rate children" why are you rating this school! you obviously haven't been to this school beforethis is my first year here and i absoloutly love it we exept every body and we're aloud to be ourselves around anybody and maybe its because of this thatwe have some of the best teachers and test scores in the whole district we love and exept everybody but i do feel bad for the children whos spot was taken by someonewithout a passion for the arts but this school isn't intended to create the next wave of artists its indended to broaden the learning of children and to create understanding and respect for diffrent cultures and music and art so its not about talent its more about passion for trying new things and wanting to learn more about the arts and ist because of this schoolthat i have a music scholarship for orchestra ths school is the best thing that happened to me

Last modified Vancouver School of Arts and Academics is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.