Vancouver, WA

Posted June 16, 2015
I just completed my 6th grace year at VSAA. I have to say, I loved it. The way the school runs is unlike any other school. Not only do we have art classes, but every class integrates the arts. For example, in language arts, we did an authors study. Some of the assignments we had were to make a bust of our favorite character from the chosen book out of clay, acting out a scene, and making a puppet show. In this way, we learned about language arts and also theatre, visual arts and literary arts all at once. The school environment is amazing as well. Everyone is friendly, everyone wants to help you do well in your classes. School spirit is very positive. The way VSAA selects its students is not based on artistic talent or grades. Rather, it is based on how well you work in a group, your willingness to learn, your over all attitude, and if you want to learn ALL the art forms. I love the teachers, everyone down to the lunch lady loves being with us every day, and do their job well. I can't possibly imagine a better place to be at everyday!!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted June 16, 2015
The teachers at VSAA connect to the students in ways many teachers don't. Since this is a small school, teachers know all their students by name an might wave to them in the hall. These personal relationships can be very effective when teaching. By integrating the arts, teachers are able to keep a classes attention longer, help them focus on the lesson better, and help students remember the information better. Overall, all our teachers are able to do this. Also, if a student is having trouble with the class he/she is taking, the teachers always do anything they can to help them.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 16, 2015
It really does depend on the teacher you get, but overall we get a decent amount of homework. I usually have between 30 minutes and a 90 minutes of homework.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 16, 2015
Resoecg is a big part of the school. For example, if you are disrespectful in a esembly( we call them showcases), like using your phone while an artists is showing their work, you will be asked to leave. Being respectful is very important to us.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 16, 2015
One example of this is "day of caring". On this day, the entire school goes out and serves they community, doing things like cleaning up downtown, helping at elementary schools, weeding gardens etc. there was also a week where the school gave compliments to each other on clothespins. The way this would work is something like, "your really cool" would be written on the pin, and you would pin the pin onto someone. Then, the person who got it would give it to someone else. Another example is we had strings to tie around wrists, and whenever you tied a string around someone's wrist, you had to give a compliment. The idea was the person would remember the compliment the entire day.

Posted January 31, 2014
My school is Gaiser middle school I really want to go to vsaa because I love sports and singing and dancing

Posted June 10, 2013
Great school but flawed entrance process. School is filled with top students so test scores reflect. School has about 75% female to 25% male. Entrance should be based on scholastic achievement to get into a lottery based versus hand picked by the principal. Example have a minimum criteria then take the pool of applicants that meet the criteria and have a lottery system. I had a daughter miss an entrance and helped a neighbor get there daughter into VSAA. I also requested entrance info that the principal should post publicly but you have to ask. This info contains elementary schools in the VSD and how many children applied and were accepted. These numbers are very powerful and are available only on request.

Posted May 13, 2013
to the weirdo who gave this one star, they pick by grades and then by available spots. they dont have sports, but they can compete for any school in the distirct if they want to do sports, so yeah. great school.

Posted February 23, 2013
this is for the person who says i dont believe this school should be aloud to"rate children" why are you rating this school! you obviously haven't been to this school beforethis is my first year here and i absoloutly love it we exept every body and we're aloud to be ourselves around anybody and maybe its because of this thatwe have some of the best teachers and test scores in the whole district we love and exept everybody but i do feel bad for the children whos spot was taken by someonewithout a passion for the arts but this school isn't intended to create the next wave of artists its indended to broaden the learning of children and to create understanding and respect for diffrent cultures and music and art so its not about talent its more about passion for trying new things and wanting to learn more about the arts and ist because of this schoolthat i have a music scholarship for orchestra ths school is the best thing that happened to me

Vancouver School of Arts and Academics 1

Posted April 14, 2012
Its a sham. I don't believe this school should be allowed to rate children. Lots of very dissapointed children , which I understand is how life is... But most the of the children that we know who made it in dont even care fir the arts. Infact, one of them complained because he was being "made" to go by his parents & they have no sports!! Where as my neighbors child who loves the arts couldnt get in. I dont know how they pick and choose their students, but it deffinetely isnt based on passion for arts or even talent. Its ridiculous! Anyone who recommends this school is a parent whos kid "got in" for "who knows" what reason? Sorry but I really do think it should be based on "talent" to get in. As for the neighbor boy...I feel AWFUL for him. :( Hes not interested in the arts...he wants sports... but his parents are forcing him to go. Very well played VSAA. I love how you "seem" to know who fits in your school & who doesnt. Bravo!

3101 Main St, Vancouver, WA  98663
Last modified Vancouver School of Arts and Academics is a Public school that serves grades 6-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vancouver School of Arts and Academics Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top