Vancouver, WA

Posted September 08, 2014
My daughter has been going to this school since she was in preschool. She is now in second grade, she loves all the teachers that she has had so far. The school is great academically and they cultivate a loving and caring environment for their children. The teachers has been great, we have been very happy with the way they communicate with about anything that is happening in the school and in my daughter's classroom. I got to say, it has been a very good experience when I needed to talk to any of the teachers. There has been many occasions where I needed to talk to her teacher about certain assignments/activities and they are always there with an open ear and open heart! Can't do any better when the school staffs and teachers are willing to hear and discuss any concerns that you might have. I'm a firm believer in this school!!

Posted April 30, 2013
The school is generally decent, but it's run by a rude and incompetent owner, who is also a teacher. As a parent, I was expecting the school owner to have a reasonable conversation with me regarding an issue I was concerned about, instead, she simply said she can decide what ever she wants, but she said it in the most offending and unprofessional way possible. This woman obviously lack the very basic communication skills any business owner should have. I'm definitely taking my kid to a different school next year and thank God the school year is almost over.

Posted September 10, 2012
in 1974 my daughter began her pre-school experience at skinner...she was 3 years old...my husband and i could not have made a better choice...she continued at OES as a 4th grader with confidence and love of learning... she loved the staff as if they were her aunties...and they loved and nourished her as well as i could ever dream...she enjoyed learning and became a very bright and resourceful young woman and mother of 4...she made sure that her oldest received that initial head start and now it's time for the three year old to begin his skinner experience ... i am so excited to have another child to share this wonderful experience with....

Posted June 08, 2012
We have attended with our children for several years and have gone from believers to completely frustrated like many others before us. If it was only a school for PreK and primary students I would give the experience 5 stars-they will have your child reading and writing well above grade level. The problem is if you continue into the upper level (K and up, more $$). There used to be more choice in teachers so you could avoid the one with a bad reputation but that is no longer the case. The teachers left are the owner and her sister and it is a no win situation. The sister teaches K-2 and shouldn't be teaching anyone but adults (and would have a hard time succeeding at that if not for the family business) Parents are leaving in droves each year once they experience her: she cannot tell you your childs progress; she doesn't reply to phone calls, emails, notes; she refuses parent volunteers and uses those of us who do insist on volunteering as secretarial staff instead of working with our children as we did on the primary side; she is inconsistent, contradictory, emotionally insensitive and borderline abusive to parents and children. Children are traumatized and afraid. Avoid.

Posted August 24, 2011
My 4 year old is starting her 2nd year of Pre-School at Skinner and I can't say enought great things about the school!! She is the only 4 year old we know who can read, write, and speak french! As we see our friends kids struggle with knowing their letters and numbers our daughter is reading books and doing simple math problems. The staff is wonderful and caring and they give me a daily update about her progression and what she is working on in class so we can encourage her progression! Be prepared though...with knowledge comes opinions...Skinner allows students to make choices and they are accountable for their choices and the transition was harder on me than it was on her! Give your child the best and get them to Skinner!!

Posted September 30, 2009
My 4 and a half year old son has attended for over a year and truely loves his school. He is the first to tell everyone that he attends 'Skinner Montessori'. Beyond that I have found it and his teachers to be excellent, caring and compassionate. They inspire confidence and creativity in a true Montessori environment (they only accept AMI certified instructors) and produce remarkable results. My son is well above his peers who don't attend Skinner both socially and intellectually and I know so much of the credit goes to the safe, consistent, stimulating environment his teacher, Gina, provides. I have found Skinner to be far more racially diverse and tolerant than the public school environment (I am a former teacher) and ditto for our preschool experiences locally. I have always found all staff to be polite and interested in trouble shooting & any pushy rude parents don't stay long.

Posted August 26, 2009
Excellent school! My daughter spent last year at Skinner after having spent 2 1/2 horrible years in public school(Orchards). She would cry for several hours a day several times a week at the old school.The school and homework were very substandard. At Skinner I was continually impressed throughout the year by what my child was learning and the projects they were doing. My daughter loved the French class. I have also been very impressed by the behavior changes-my daughter is so caring and polite now after being in that nurturing enviornenment.Venus is an excellent, loving teacher. I am sad that I have to put my daughter back in public school this year because of the cost-but, if I have any problems at all I know it will be definitely worth it to bring her back.

Posted February 04, 2009
My child had been at skinner for two years and the first 18 months were great. The last six months have been very sad, they just raised the rates and cut the hours. It looks like a once sold school is almost out of business. We will be pulling our little girl as soon as we find a solution.

Skinner Elementary Montessori School

Posted January 22, 2009
The staff is sooo rude. They care about the donations but not the kids. Espesially if you are foriners - expect even worse attitude! My child was at this school for 5 month and get no any progress. My son hated the school. Now changed the school and have no problem. We feel so happy that we get rid off that nasty place.

Posted January 12, 2008
If you are looking for a school that encourages learning, provides self confidence for the child, teaches the child who they are and where they are in the world, encourages creativity, this is the place for your child. Good structured environment for learning. And as a parent if you have a clue that a public school gets more than 7000 dollars per student per year to educate a child. And you are paying less than 7000 dollars a year to educate your child in a private school, you wonder how they do it? Yes they have to have an auction to raise money. It's a private school they have to raise money.

Skinner Elementary Montessori School
5001 Northeast 66th Avenue, Vancouver, WA  98661
Last modified Skinner Elementary Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6
Skinner Elementary Montessori School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top