PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

There are certain teachers at the school who are the true leaders and are the finest teachers around. At times it's been hard to find the same level of quality in the new teachers and so there is more turnover than one would like.

Amount of homework: Agree

The amount of homework is not burdensome, but it meaningful. Research shows how homework is highly overrated as a tool for learning. I think Gardner has found just the right balance.

Develops character: Strongly agree

The school places a major focus on developing character and stance with its students. One of the most effective programs is their buddy program, where students from the higher grades are paired for the school year with students from the younger grades. These relationships create opportunities for the older students to be seen as role models of behavior to the young ones. The young ones look up to them. As they grow, they become the older kids who now must carry themselves in a way that the young ones can look up to. There are also conscious methods used for dealing with conflicts between students - based on listening, respect, and problem solving. The general atmosphere of the school is one of acceptance of each other and mutual respect. It is modeled by the teachers and the head of school and carries down to the student body.

I have to agree with the previous poster. Our child was not at grade level when we removed him from Gardner. While he loved playing in the wetlands, we suspect he didn't learn very much in his time at the school.

There are many things to like about Gardner. The outdoor play time, science and especially art are wonderful. However. We found that the teachers were often busy dealing with serious behavior problems rather than teaching. It also seemed to us that children with learning challenges and the children of faculty were a priority over other kids. We found our very typical child was behind academically after leaving Gardner. We are not alone in this finding, the school has a high turnover. Overall while being in nature and going on lots of field trips is really fabulous, we found the other challenges overwhelmed the benefits.

The environment fostered at this school is exactly what I want for my two children: challenging, life affirming, nurturing and accepting. I particularly love how the older and younger students play together on a daily basis. There is a strong focus on the arts as well as math and sciences. It's in a pastoral setting complete with wetlands and a wide open feel to the campus. I have read enough to know how critical early learning is in overall development. I can't imagine a better use of my money.

We have two children attending Gardner. Having older children that attended private Christian based schools, we were curious how the Gardner experience would be different. Let me say simply, it's like night and day. No comparison. Not to be harsh to Christian education, but we've found the Gardner staff, parents and culture to be accepting of all peoples, religions and beliefs. Being a very social person, I was concerned that (judging by the tuition costs) there would be snooty parents, driving expensive cars and children dressed like they were going to a photo shoot. I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised by the down to earth families who are committed to their child's education. What I've found is people who send their children to Gardner are 100% invested in their children getting the best learning experience Clark County has to offer. Often times sacrificing fancy vehicles and other luxuries. Our children's teachers are wise, caring and understanding. They are patient, yet firm. Loving and attentive, being fair beyond measure. We're excited to continue being a part of the Gardner school in the years to come. Our children love school!

It's nearing the end of our first year at Gardner and we couldn't be more impressed. As a stay at home mom who can count on one hand the number of times my 3 yr old son has been left with a family member or baby-sitter, it was a true blessing to find such an amazing school that I was instantly comfortable with. Gayle is a remarkable, loving teacher and it has been a treat to watch her foster love and friendship between the students in the class. And, the confidence and independence he's gained...Thank You Gayle!!! We are very excited to have found this school and we couldn't believe that's it's right here in Clark County. We plan for our son to attend through 8th grade, and we already feel a part of this very involved community.

The Gardner School is unique in its approach to education. I've never known another secular school that takes such clear responsibility for the character development of its students as well as the "knowledge and understanding" component. The faculty and staff are highly educated, dedicated, caring professionals who treat each child with respect and hold them up as capable individuals. With small classes and a well articulated curriculum, the school provides individual educational paths with detailed assessments for every child, from pre-school right through 8th grade. The broad array of "specials" (language, music, PE, art) truly integrated into the curriculum, helps ensure the education of the whole child. Dedicated science resources (faculty and lab) round out the systematic approach to facilitating a truly awesome education. I would be remiss if I did not mention the feeling of community engendered by the school. From the first day we attended, it felt like extended family...or the ubiquitous "village" it takes to raise your child. The real test? My kids LOVE it there, and are thriving.

My family has been a part of The Gardner School for over six years and my children love going to school every day. The academic curriculum inspires them to acquire the skills they need, the big ideas behind them and understand how they impact the world. They have developed strong reciprocal relationships with the teachers and staff that creates an environment of safety and love in which they can thrive. Specialist teachers in Art, Music, PE, Spanish and Science work with homeroom teachers to create connections of learning across the disciplines. Homeroom teachers work in small groups in reading and math and are able to individualize the curriculum so that my children work at the pace they need. We're very thankful to be in such a wonderful learning community.

Last modified The Gardner School is a Private school that serves grades PK-8