Posted April 17, 2014
Shahala Middle School is one of the best middle schools I have worked in as a substitute teacher. The students are engaged, teachers prepare great lesson plans, are willing to help me as needed, and the administration deals with the few problems I have had during the 3 years I've worked there.

Shahala Middle School 2

Posted February 13, 2014
This is our first year at Shahala. I will tell you that it is very difficult to transfer here from another district. There are 2 counselors for 1200 kids, they are overwhelmed and obviously not happy in their jobs. So you MUST be an advocate for your child to make sure they are placed in the proper classes. They do offer EXCEL or advanced classes, but those are "already full", good luck getting into them! Kids are either advanced ( the 1%) and those same kids do the science bowl, knowledge bowl, etc. or you are the other 99%. The music program is their claim to fame at this school. Drama is good as well. Other electives are mediocre. Most kids eat lunch in their electives, not productive use of time. Little or no choices for 6th grade sports. History and Language Arts are lacking. Parent involvement ? again the 1% and not welcoming to new families. May have a 10 rating but it's still Vancouver demographics. Next year the school will have over 1200 kids and busting at the seams.

Posted February 05, 2014
My son attends the SCIP program at Shahala and it has literally changed our lives. His reading level at seventh grade when we moved him there was second grade. Halfway through his eighth grade year he is testing just below seventh grade level for reading. The support is phenomenal, and the teachers are extremely cooperative and work wonderfully as a team. I cannot say enough about the special ed teachers, especially the main SCIP program lead. They really get these kids and understand where they are coming from. I am grateful every day we found this program!!!

Posted August 27, 2012
Shahala Middle School is an amazing school! They offer really advanced math classes -- the highest math being Integrated 3 (11th grade math) that you can take in 8th grade....one girl in my class took Intg. 3 individually as a 7th-grader last year. When you're put in a class, you have the same exact kids with you for humanities (Lang. Arts/English/social studies/history), science, and math, but you might have different kids for your electives (usually music + something else like art or pre-engineering, etc). The music programs are excellent and a majority of the kids are really nice and helpful, even the popular kids. The teachers are really nice and some are super funny!! :)

Posted August 06, 2012
Shahala Middle School is AWESOME!!! I had the best 3 years at Shahala. Being at Shahala for 3 years with the same classmates helped me make real and awesome friends, and made me feel like I belong. The teachers are all really fun and cool. Even the strict ones can surprise you with exciting games and lessons. I was in Excel for 3 years at Shahala and am going to High School. Shahala is the very best middle school ever!! We were really good at everything. Our class in 8th grade achieved a lot of things, mostly in Math Counts, Orchestra and Science Bowl. I loved 8th grade the most. Mr. Parsons is one of the best teachers ever! He helped every student understand math and gave us all encouragement. If we needed help, he was there to help us. His class was also really fun, and we got candy and fun activities. The smart boards were cool too!!! He helped us realize we had to work hard and strive towards our goals, because we aren't any better than anyone else, even if we were in a really high math class. Mr. Cantonwine was also a really fun physics teacher, and orchestra was fun doing WMEA this year. Shahala is the best middle school ever, and I'm going to miss it so much in 9th grade. :D

Posted June 07, 2012
I love Shahala! The teachers were amazing. They are friendly and helpful. I loved my experience here, and regret that I have to move this summer to another school. Shahala offers many extracurricular activities and amazing electives, including orchestra, band, choir, art, tech ed, pre-engineering, drama, drama club, cooking, leadership, etc., etc.

Posted May 31, 2012
My 6th grader went to Shahala and loved every minute of it. The staff from councilors, office, and teachers were all fantastic. They went above and beyond what I have experienced in other schools. Highly recommend for educating your children.

Posted May 17, 2011
Shahala Middle School is an AMAZING school. I really enjoyed my expirence at Shahala and I know a lot of my other classmates did too. The teachers are all wonderful and if you don't understand anything, they usually schedule some one-on-one time during lunch or after school to make sure that you understand. The principals are super nice and helpful. Along with all of the security guards. If you ever need help, they would have no problem trying to fix it as best as they could. The only complaint that I have is the Choir Director. She is very unorganized and rude. I am in 8th grade now and I have done choir for all 3 years and to be perfectly honest, I don't know why I joined again. I am very embarassed when we go to concerts because she picks songs that are just flat out embarassing. But other than that, Shahala Middle Schol is an amazing school and I'm sure you will love it just as much as I did.

Shahala Middle School 1

Posted March 01, 2011
If I could give it zeros I would. Nothing but problems with the over worked administration at this school. It doesn't seem like they even want to care. Way too overcrowded with so many children they need a big burly security gaurd to threaten and intimidate students and parents. And any child that falls between the cracks, like my son did, gets lost. I pulled him out when he brought home a report card with straight F's. No contacts from ANY teachers whatsoever over the 3 month term. Then 6 months later he was getting A's and B's through an online program. This school is a joke and the teachers have false expectations that the parents should do their job for them.

Posted January 31, 2011
Good school but the choir director has absolutely no leadership skills. Sitting through the concerts is simply embarrassing, there is no organization and you can tell the kids simply don't know what is going to happen next. Have you ever heard of a rehearsal?

Shahala Middle School
601 SE 192nd Ave, Vancouver, WA  98683
Last modified Shahala Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Shahala Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 58 reviews.