Covington Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1054 students

Sweep tile

Posted Tuesday, April 22, 2014

This school is by far the worst school, with the worst staff I have EVER had to deal with. As an ex teacher and the mother of two children I have been involved in a decent number of schools, spanning three states and CMS is atrocious. The staff is discriminatory, to the point where I had to involve the ACLU for an email sent out by the Associate Principle targeting my daughter by name. They are currently under investigation for their lack of involvement with their bullying problem. I could write a book about the horrendous office staff/ administrative staff/ etc. At one point the P.E. teachers were weighing students IN FRONT of other students and making comments about each students' weight. It was absolutely ridiculous and inexcusable. My best advice is to stay as far away from this school as possible.

Posted April 4, 2014

This school is amazing we have a great staff and the people here are always welcomeing. We have a great educational program and if you are a 6th grader the 8th and 7th graders are very welcoming. This is a great school and very welcoming.

Posted February 5, 2014

Covington has been amazing. Our IEP manager has responded to all contact right away, usually within hours. The IEP team has communicated with us every step of the way. I feel very confident that they are able to meet my child's needs perfectly.

Posted November 12, 2013

I attended this school back before it was rebuilt. Looking back, I can honestly say that there wasn't much special about it. The halls and classes seemed dreary. Most of the teachers were nice enough from a student's stand point, but there had been one in particular who really didn't seem like he should be a teacher. Our family didn't believe my older sister's stories about him until I had the same teacher. I really hope he's retired or been fire since then. Bullying and such, like almost every other school, were a problem. Teachers had a 'I didn't see it, so I can't do anything' attitude. Best advice I can give is to go in and ask questions about dress codes, events, and security. If your child's education is important to you, don't forget to do your own homework.

Posted September 30, 2013

Having seen the worst of the worst, I can honestly say this is a wonderful school in every aspect. Please don't listen to the rumors, they are not true. Visit and see for yourself before you judge. The teachers go above and beyond to make sure the students are learning and the administration is always there to help you with any issues that arise. This is a wonderfully diverse community and I am happy to be a part of it.

Posted July 29, 2013

I went to covington last year and all my friends and me hated it there the teachers discriminated against me and would blame me for anything i did so whatever you do do enroll your child in this school

Posted June 14, 2013

We've had problems with a particular teacher all year long. With the exception of one or two teachers, this school really has not impressed us at all. The administrative staff is awful and non-responsive to "real" problems with it's teachers. My children constantly complain about the rudeness, abuse and cruelty or their teachers. I'd think differently about putting your kids into this middle school as it's hard enough to be a teen these days without serious issues with teachers.

Posted May 1, 2013

Being a Colt for nearly 15 years has given me the freedom to say it is one of the 'best in the West' most definitely! Within the time I've been there I've seen innovative ideas, positive change, and successful team-building promoting a wide-range of accomplishments in the education field! Other schools within our district look up to us to deliver the next routine of healthy accord and we're proud to take the reins and lead, it's a team effort that is across the board. We can proudly say we've come a long way and we continue to stride for the mark of not only great team work, but student achievement for all those who attend. Diversity is HUGE and we're sensitive to all those who come through our doors, whether you're wheelchair bound, autistic, learning disabled, behavioral driven, etc. we'll work to support you in every way we can. I'm extremely confident that we will continue to make great strides in educating our students in all areas of growth and with excellence. "GO COLTS!"
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 30, 2013

This school is aweful. You can hear the teachers screaming at students from across the hall. I got detention for getting some water. There are a few nice teachers that will help you but most act like dictators, they do not care about the students and treat them more like dogs.

Posted February 3, 2013

Am having some trouble with this school. When I went for conferences earlier this year, I did not like the way I was talked to by several of the teachers. I started to become afraid they were all like that until I met with some of the afternoon teachers, who seemed to really have great programs put together, skill at teaching the subjects and knew how to work with (not against) my child. I receive the weekly online notices about my child's grades and have received o.k. reports. I was surprised, then, to get a letter in the mail saying my child was "at risk" of not passing 1 or more classes. Obviously these notices are not as accurate as they need to be. The letter said I should come in next week for conferences again. I am dreading seeing those "a.m." teachers and am thinking about just skipping straight to the afternoon classes.

Posted July 9, 2012

Worst middle school! They have a huge issue with bullying and the staff refuses to do anything or even recognize there is a problem. The counselor on staff actually told my 6th grader to his face that his mom needed counseling and so did he, this should never be appropriate to be said in front of or directly to a student. The principals don't have time for the kids or their issues and the students don't all feel like they have someone "safe" they can report bullying to or other issues of importance, the security guards on site seem to have the "I can't be bothered" attitude. The staff all seem to have the same attitude about kids coming to them with bullying issues. Teachers were more concerned with how and when they can punish a student rather than find the root cause of the problem. Teachers pass unfair judgment on certain students with special needs. My oldest has aged out of this school but my younger son is supposed to go back at the start of next year. I will put my now 7th grader in a new school if things do not change drastically.

Posted May 13, 2011

I've had 2 children attend Covington and I'm counting down the days until this year is over. I will be putting my youngest in a different school unless I see some drastic changes. The school does not know how to follow an IEP, there are some great teachers there but for a child on an IEP it only takes one teacher not to follow it and your child is lost. There is no excuse for a child on an IEP to fail a class that is the whole purpose of having one! They are well known for diciplining children based on :who they are". If your child attends Covington and you want to have a good experience then you need to keep your mouth shut and agree with them, tell them how great they are and hope for the best. The minute you go against what they feel is proper education or you disagree on a behavior issue your child will be targeted. You can expect attitude and multiple suspensions to include outlandish accusations.

Posted January 5, 2010

Covington middle school is the bomb. The teachers are awesome and iv never been happy with a school in my life.Im a student at Covington and I just love it there.

Posted December 2, 2009

i go there and it gets better every year

Posted November 11, 2009

i use to go to this school and it was the best school i ever went to!!

Posted October 27, 2009

Covington is not a great school; I have two daughters, my eldest did okay despite the seemingly lack of concern or effort by her teachers. My youngest, however, has special needs and the teachers and adminstrators seem uninterested in doing what should be done for my childs educational excellance. The last straw is the fact that they close the office at 3:30 in the afternoon and expect parents to encourage after school activities.

Posted November 17, 2008

My daughter has been an Covington for all of 6th grade and three months of 7th grade. I have been very happy with the school. The teachers she has had have been wonderful. Sports and after-school activities are great. The school counselor is very involved and knows kids well. I can not think of one thing I have been unhappy with. She is happy, learning, involved, and loves going to school. And the building itself is gorgeous. It has been a safe and enjoyable place for my daughter to go to school.

Posted July 2, 2008

I have just finished my last year at covington middle school. I had some awesome times during 6-8 grade. Teachers are not that bad and I beleive it is harshly judged buy its past. Its a good school and don't beleive everything you hear espeacally if that person hasn't even gone to that school.

Posted August 15, 2007

I do not think this school is one of the 'best' schools. There are many teachers that are great but the upper staff as in Principal and Vice are horrid to work with.

Posted June 12, 2007

I dont think this school is the 'best' school. They have poor planning ability and they do not take time to work with the students. I am normally a straight a studnet and I have been all through middle school, but I'm having a difficult time understanding math and I do not think that my teacher is thourougly taking time to instruct me.

Math

The state average for Math was 59% in 2013.

374 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 72% in 2013.

373 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

335 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 69% in 2013.

335 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 71% in 2013.

330 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

338 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 65% in 2013.

340 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students52%

Special education33%
Not special education69%
Limited English27%

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 94% in 2011.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2011.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2011.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 100% in 2011.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used End-of-Course (EOC) examinations to assess students in Algebra I, Geometry, Integrated Math I, Integrated Math II, and Biology. The EOC tests are standards-based, which means they measure how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 82% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 97% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 99% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 97% in 2013.

83 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 99% in 2013.

Blackn/a

Average years educational experience 10N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 74%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

11200 NE Rosewood Rd