Orchards Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 620 students

Our school is known for working together to do what is best for students.

Sweep tile

Posted August 23, 2013

As a grandparent I am very impressed with ORCHARD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. I have been in and out of this school several times in the past year. I feel confident that the staff and everyone volunteering etc. are for the best interest of the students. I wish all schools gave you the confidence of safety that Orchards Elementary does. Not having children in public school for several years it is very reassuring to know that Orchards Elementary offers everything in a school that I would have wanted for my own children twenty plus years ago. This is extremely crucial in the world we live in today. Please continue to do what you are doing best and that is "WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN DOING" Thank you,

Posted May 16, 2013

This school is the worst school I have ever seen. Teachers are rude. The staff is horrible. They talk to the kids with disrespect. The MUSIC teacher is the meanest of them all. Tried to sign my son up for sports or Crossing guard duties. She decided She had more right to my son then I did, Because doing other school activities are not as important as MUSIC. I can say that If I say my son can do something then he does it. We you talk to teachers or staff they are annoyed or over whelmed with that is going on around them. When you go in to the office to pick you kids up. You can actually see and hear how they talk to other students. I can't wait till the end of the school year to REMOVE my kids from this HORRIBLE school.

Posted March 1, 2013

We love Orchards and are very sad that we are moving away because we are afraid we won't find another school like it! We wish we could pick the school up & take it with us! Our son has attended Orchards for the past 2 years and we have had nothing but great experiences with the teachers and staff! We've had great communication with the teachers and principal, our son LOVES going to school every day and he is challenged with and is excelling with the academics! We love that we get a weekly handout that highlights their learning goals for each subject that week, including a section to ask any questions we might have or address concerns. And any time we have had to contact the teachers by phone, they have been very pleasant and happy to talk with us. I do think more parents need to be involved in their children's learning and school activities. We are actually shocked to see this low score for Orchards because it is an amazing, academically high-standard, fun environment! I hope everyone's kids can experience how awesome Orchards is and they will benefit greatly from attending this school!

Posted July 9, 2012

This school helped our very shy and very timid kindegartener become a bit more confident and self sufficient. Her teacher went out of the way to make sure our kindegartener felt safe and secure. The teacher is even moving up to first grade next year so our kid that does not do well with any kind of change will have the stability she needs. The staff are all very warm and friendly, everyone of them I ever had interaction with were helpful and always smiling. This school is great. This school year we only had one student enrolled next year we will have 2 and I'm excited that my 4 year old will be attending this school as well when he gets old enough. Teachers, staff, and even PTA members were a pleasure to deal with.

Posted June 15, 2011

This school has been amazing to my son he has learned so much this year the staff is very friendly and I have felt very comfortable with my son attending he will be there next year for sure.

Posted September 16, 2009

It has a great bunch of teachers and they care.

Posted August 25, 2009

The staff is very rude and disrepectful. The principal has no care for what the teachers act like towards the children which is defiently sub par behavior. If you are looking for a great school or for your child to stay long term DO NOT Look Here. Orchards is the worst school we have experienced in the evergreen school dist. Your child deserves more for education and this school is just not providing the education the children need. The reading and homework are so lacking it is sad as well as really getting there brains to work on projects it is also lacking. Orchards needs serious help and guidence from the other schools in the evergreen school dist. When will the dist see this school needs help on respect for parent envolvement, friendliness, openniss, teacher involvement, and extra activities. Which none are provided at this time.

Posted August 23, 2009

I have been very disappointed with this school. My daughter was able to read anything and yet the school insisted she spend her time doing ABC's. When I asked for school/homework at her actual level, they told me I needed to purchase it myself. The last 2 months of school they did not even have money for the copy machine, so students received no homework. My child was constantly sent to the office for silly things, like playing with a pencil or reading a book-this opressiveness caused frequent crying spells. Some of the teachers are overly agressive with the students-physically and emotionally. I was yelled at by a teacher for calling her at home to ask a question. The staff has literally chased me down the hall, screaming, apparently it is against the rules there to walk your child to the classroom. Notes of school events often arrive the same day.

Posted June 18, 2009

This school has literally changed my k-garteners life the skills learned are amazing!@

Posted March 27, 2009

this is a great school my kids love it!!!

Posted March 18, 2009

All I can say about this school is that I have decided to home-school my child because of my experience with this school. I am outraged that our tax dollars are funding sub-standard education as well as staff that loves to do a whole lot of talking about how much they care about the kids and 'every kid' is important there. If you are about to send your child to this school (or Sunset Elementary) I would get out of the district.

Posted October 8, 2008

* Dont respond when you change plans for pickup. *Never communicate with parents about students and when parents do ask questions and or want to be involved the teachers act like its too much trouble to talk about your child and just basicly feel like you cannot be involved in your child education. * Needs help addressing the homework issue for some parents are not what papers are for what and no letters in backpacks. * Always get papers to late for activites. * No activites after school. * Not enough stimulating homework and work for students.

Posted July 24, 2008

Both of my sons attended this school for 07-08 and LOVED the teachers, principal and staff. My youngest son had a hard time 'fitting in' at his previous school, but everyone here at Orchards treated him with such warm, welcoming attitudes that for the first time he attended a school and felt like part of the group. Both of my kids have gained so much self confidence this year and they both improved leaps and bounds in reading and math. My older son took the WASL this year and his teacher worked very hard to make sure that his class was intellectually and emotionally prepaired for this challenge without making it intimidating. The entire staff was great! The only thing I would add to this school is more art programs.

Posted January 3, 2008

I think my childs kindergarten teacher is the sweetest. My daughter has really excelled in her class, by letting the child experience and learn in there own way and pace. The staff at the front are so wonderful and sweet and whenever you need to pick up your child or get through to the teacher they always go above and beyond. I like this and think it will improve and get better if there is more teacher communication and parent involvment.

Posted June 21, 2007

Mrs.Ngyuen is a great pricipal and is very involved in all the school programs and knows almost all the children in her school on a first name basis. She strongly encourages parent involvment with success. The office staff is one of a kind and very willing to help out parents in any way possible. Some teachers do have communication issues with parents, but the parents also have to do there part in staying in contact with their childrens teachers. The fifth grade graduation was a great, and a lot of teacher participation helped make it that way. I would recommend sending your children there!

Posted May 2, 2005

Great school, lots of programs, caring staff, quality education.

Posted October 31, 2003

I think the leadership from the principal and the teaching staff at Orchards is great. They really put the child first in education and it shows!

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

82 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

80 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

114 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students61%

Average years educational experience 11N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 79%N/A66%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Russian
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

• Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Choir / Chorus
  • Orchestra

Language learning

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Languages supported by ESL/ELL programs

• 9:05 am
School end time
  • 3:35 pm
  • Elizabeth Brawley
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (360) 604-6977

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Individually guided instruction

• Science
  • Special education
  • Technology
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Acceleration
  • Counseling
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Mentoring
  • Remediation
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Internet access
  • Library
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Orchestra
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
Covington Middle School