Harmony Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 763 students

Sweep tile

Posted April 4, 2014

I have two children with both attending Harmony. I have attended many PTA events over the years, got to know several parents, teachers and facaulty. Many parent teacher conferences in which each one of their teachers have been very good with the aspect of beleiving in "the childs education" is most important first and foremost". along with teaching dignity & respect. I have no complaints and am satisfied with my childrens education at Harmony.

Posted March 25, 2014

This is a great school with friendly staff and teachers. As with all schools their are a few teachers I wouldn't redommend, but they are few and far between. I have had four kids go to this school.mmtwo who have moved on and two still there. I have no desire to move because I over this school so much!

Posted May 22, 2013

This school is not the best... in regards to the teachers, I have come across some fantastic teachers, Mr. Schiewe and Mrs. Dana have been wonderful and great with my son. I have two boys enrolled in this school and one of my boys is very enthusiastic, this year he has been struggling with his second grade teacher, Mrs. Walhstrom, her character towards parents and students is off putting and condescending. I can not wait for him to be out of her hands and i will try my best to ensure any of my other children do not have her again.

Posted June 15, 2011

I second a reviewer about Alex Schiewe! He has been a godsend in helping us with our bright, but difficult, son this year! the teachers, staff, and support staff know our family by name, and even with all the issues this year, have been supportive and loving to our son. His sister is attending another school, but will be joining her brother in the fall, and she too hopes to get Mr. Schiewe for a first grade teacher! Mrs. Brocley was also amazingly patient and wonderful with our son for kindergarten as well--we really support Harmony to the fullest.

Posted February 2, 2011

Average school for the area. Good library. There are great teachers there and there are not so...Needs more principal participation

Posted June 15, 2010

This is an amazing School. They really help each child excel. If your child is lucky enough to get Alex Schiewe, your child will get the best educational experience ever! Mr. Schiewe gets each child feel like the are the most special person. He is an amazing teacher who goes above and beyond just being a teacher.

Posted April 30, 2010

The staff, students, and parents are fantastic. The teachers love what they are doing, and their priority is educating those kids. The administration is very approachable and do what they can to help problem solve. The atmosphere at Harmony is very friendly, and the office staff really enforce it. It's a fantastic school!

Posted January 31, 2010

I love Harmony Elementary! My 21 year old daughter and 18 year old son attended this school and my 8 year is now a 3rd grader. Harmony has the feel of a small school. Teachers and staff are wonderful. I have nothing but good things to say. They truly care about each individual child. My older children have nothing but good memories of there time attending this school. They nurture each childs strength and are supportive when there are issues.

Posted September 2, 2009

Principals are average but dedicated, teachers are average with an exceptional few. The Arts suffers due to budget cuts, science suffers because of budget cuts. Building is older, rooms cluttered with wires running everywhere in classroom, piles of papers and supplies stacked ready to fall... Library is exceptional with Computer Lab. It rains in Northwest, has small covered area for kids and wet playground 6months of school yr. A Special Ed. depart with caring staff/teachers They have child care before and after avail.. The school has the best of intentions like any other school.

Posted June 18, 2009

I simply could not be happier with the staff and teachers at Harmony. My daughter just finished first grade and loved everything about it. I loved that they immediately identified her as needing a little extra help in reading at the beginning of the year, put her in the LAP program, and she is now reading right where she should be for the end of First Grade. These people are on top of everything from school functions to safety, and I'm so happy my daughter has several more years with them.

Posted June 17, 2009

WOW! I sure expected a lot more.... The teacher my daughter was given is not only condescending but a drill instructor. I asked about changing and one of the staff who thought I was angry was trying to 'handle' me.... came off condescending as well. This school is horrible!

Posted March 9, 2009

Harmony has been our school for the past four years, and I have found that all of the staff, administration and teachers are approachable and willing to listen to any and all concerns. I have two boys who are, um, very imaginative and energetic, and I have had my opportunities to walk in to the Principal and the Vice Principal's offices, and I have found both to be receptive and fair. As for any comments about the staff...kindness toward those who do thankless jobs go a really long way.

Posted September 9, 2008

This is the 3rd elementary school I've been to in WA and I'd say Harmony is best in terms of staff.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted December 3, 2007

I have a son that is enrolled at Harmony and the few of the PTA event's I have attended have been reasonably laid out and very helpful in the way of the child's development. He is in 2nd grade and now I can honestly say that the three teachers he has had, are very knowledgable and seem to have the child's best interest's at heart. No complaints!

Posted February 20, 2007

We haven't been overly impressed with this particular school to be honest. Our child had some issues last year with a teacher who was brand new and we really felt that he and his fellow students suffered as a result of her style. We received no help from other faculty and it seemed like the entire system was a bit jumbled and could never seem to get anything together. This year we're absolutely pleased with his teachers but it's still a little disconcerting that the office staff can't seem to pull it together. I'm amazed that an adult can just waltz into the school and not be questioned by a single staff member. I've even stood at the front desk for over 5 minutes before someone asked me what I needed when I came to pick my child up early. Too bad there's no way to fix all the issues...

Posted January 20, 2006

Very committed staff, but too classes are too large for students to have very much personalized attention. Plus --- Where are the arts in the curriculum>?

Posted April 15, 2005

Harmony has provided our daughter with a fantastic education. Our daughter has a difficulity with reading and Harmony has given her the special attention she needed to not only gain confidence, but to learn special skills to help her read.

Posted May 31, 2004

I would just like to say that my child is at grade level or above (recent ITBS testing showed above average in all areas) due to the excellent teaching he received at this school. As a parent, I am very satisfied with the staff and school administrators.

Posted May 18, 2004

Harmony Elementary is an excellent school! I have two children attending Harmony who have excelled at this wonderful school for the past four years. The teachers and staff are a caring professional group of people whose main concern is the education and safety of our children. When one of my children needed some additional support the teacher and administrator were right there making sure that she received the help she needed. Harmony has one of the largest student populations in the district and is very well run and organized. The atmosphere is always positive and happy when I am there. The school has an excellent volunteer group of parents and community members. I feel very lucky that my children have such a great school to go to every day.

Posted May 4, 2004

I gotta say, I'm not too impressed with this school. I have 3 kids enrolled, and the school strikes me as jumbled, disorganized, and floundering. Some of the teachers are absolutely first rate...but the tenor and tone of the school to me is just plain troubling. I would suggest that any parent meet with the teacher and principal -- and really look for character. (As I read in another review, the teacher of my child said she would 'really hate to lose' my child when I inquired about moving her from a particular classroom.) It wasn't a matter of ...what can we do to solve the problem, it was simply...'well, we hate to see her go.' Perspective parents, think twice! But if it's an inevitability, meet the teachers and principal in person before your child steps in the door.

Math

The state average for Math was 65% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % basic, level 3, or level 4

In 2012-2013 Washington used the Measurements of Student Progress (MSP) to test students in reading and math in grades 3 through 8, in writing in grades 4 and 7, and in science in grades 5 and 8. The MSP is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Washington. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

The state average for Reading was 73% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 62% in 2013.

134 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 67% in 2013.

All Students66%

Average years educational experience 11N/A12

Teacher education levels

Master's degree or higher 80%N/A66%
Source: WA OSPI, 2009-2010

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

17404a NE 18th St