Washougal, WA
Before care: Yes

Washougal High School 1

Posted September 05, 2014
Just read the reviews. A lot of the same themes. This school seems to have a disconnect with its students and teachers. The ap classes are never taught complete. How is a student expected to pass an ap exam if the teacher doesn't finish with the course curriculum. Oh, I know, they don't pass. In fact, many ap classes only have a few taking the test. And what's predictable and depressing is that most don't pass the ap test. Some classes most don't even take the test for the college credit . This school is in my opinion should be closed and let these student go to camas. One also will find that ap classes are taught so frantically in some instances that no student could ever follow what the teacher is teaching. Don't believe these issues are real. Check the stats of passing ap course exams at washougal and other schools. Other schools actually have student who pass the ap test. Washougal has very few. And if you check you will find that these problems have been in existence for many years. Wake up washougal. We need active changes and people to speak up! Expect better. And oh by the way.......... Not finishing classes by the end of the year is common in many classes, not just ap.

Washougal High School 2

Posted September 05, 2014
I'm frustrated by the lack of focus on college-bound students. The administration seems complacent with poorly taught AP classes, and with a lack of rigorous course offerings such as statistics. Moreover, the school administration has provided the absolute minimum guidance regarding ACT/SAT preparation, college selection, and scholarship application. The culture seems to be more about graduation rates than encouraging kids to excel academically.

Washougal High School 2

Posted July 01, 2014
Washougal has a long way to go. Many teachers don't care about their jobs or students in combination with unenthusiastic leadership. School does not do enough to help student's transitions into the real life. The goal shouldn't be to graduate from high school, that is incredibly easy at Washougal, you literally have to try not to graduate. The goal should be to have a job lined up or to go to college. Too many graduates are left not knowing what to do. Loved some of the great teachers I had there but sadly I am sure they will pursue greater opportunities soon.

Posted April 28, 2014
I believe that this is a pretty good school. All these comments about drama, fights, trouble makers, teachers who have favorites, and people who can't "fit in" happen in every single school. That doesn't make the school terrible. No matter where you go it will be the same. Also, this school has an AMAZING arts program. So much better than Evergreen schools from self experiences. Honestly arts are the best parts of high school. They encourage you to keep your grades up and show other schools what a small town can do. Our plays are amazing and no one has to pay a fee to get in, that is so rare at schools. And also teachers are such great helps, even if one teacher won't help you, another will always be there for you, same with our counselors. WHS provides MANY great opportunities. I recommend this school highly over Vancouver or Camas schools.

Washougal High School 3

Posted December 12, 2013
I go to whs and I'm currently a junior(: I love my school and I would much rather go here then camas, but facing the facts the math department needs a lot of help. We have teachers teaching subjects they shouldn't be teaching and it is causing some students to have a harder time passing the already difficult classes. I love Washougal and everyone for the most part in the school are nice and welcoming people and I'm going to miss it when I graduate but like I said there are big downfalls and negotiates in the academic part of the classes.

Posted August 30, 2013
I love Washougal High School. I'm currently a Sophomore. The teachers are all so helpful, there are a few rude ones here and there. I feel like my teachers all went out of their way to help us all truly understand. Some teachers do pick favorites, which is wrong. EVeryone knows everyone and yes there can be drama, but we're all a family at WHS. I do think there are some students who create a stereotype that we all smoke and do drugs, that's not true. It's the few that do. The sports and coaching are great, and my coaches all help me. I couldn't imagine myself at any other school! I love Washougal high school!

Washougal High School 4

Posted January 17, 2013
this school is filled with drama fights thiefs and potheads. If you're not one of the teachers favorites then your grades are screwed. i almost got expelled because of a teacher saying i stole tools from him when i didn't..

Washougal High School 1

Posted July 18, 2011
It is hard to fit in. Like posted before, Small Town School with Small Town Mentality. I moved into the area in 5th grade and had a tough time making friends. 4 years later I start high school and have only made 3 friends. I hardly made it through my freshman year at WHS. The atmosphere is polluted with drama. ALL of the teachers have favorites, if you are not one of them, they will not care about you. My experience is proof. I found it better to commute 15 miles back to my old school with all the kids I grew up with. Transfering out of District is very difficult, They "lost" my transcript over the summer. Save your self from the headaches and anger this school will cause. Start your freshman year off at anyother school.

Posted May 03, 2010

Washougal High School 4

Posted March 17, 2009
I graduated from WHS in 2006 and my personal opinion is that they do their best with what they're given. It is a small town school, but there are a lot of 'bad apples' that attend school here, which makes it hard for everyone else. The problem that a lot of students have is that you have to WANT to succeed and put in the effort a diploma is not going to just be handed to you for nothing. Also, I was given weekly progress reports in most classes that had to be signed by my parents and returned; if they weren't returned, my parents were called within a couple of days. The vast majority of the teachers at WHS are willing to help; you just have to seek it out. They're not there to hold your hand and they can really only do so much with students who couldn't care less about attending school or even graduating. They also have a mentoring program (run by the juniors and seniors) for freshman and transferring students to get people motivated and help them adjust to high school. There are multiple Advanced Placement classes, (English, calculus, physics, etc). All in all, high school is there to prepare you for the real world and adulthood, and I think they do a great job at that.

Washougal High School
1201 39th St, Washougal, WA  98671
Last modified Washougal High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Washougal High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top