Yelm, WA

Posted May 23, 2015
What makes this school just simply awful is the principal. She is unprofessional, rude (to parents and staff), and well should simply not be allowed to be around children. She's so awful that aside from parent-teacher volunteers, there is NO PTO at the school and has not been one since she's been there. She does not care for the well being of the students. She has her own agendas and this is very apparent in how she runs the school.

Mill Pond Intermediate School 5

Posted January 06, 2014
I have a granddaughter that attends Mill Pond and I am very active in her education process. This school is a very good school. Teachers and principal are dedicated to educating the students and keeping them safe. My granddaughter has attended two others school, one in Olympia and one in Yelm. Out of the 3 Mill Pond is the best. My granddaughter has some special needs and they are all met. When I read the reviews I am shocked at some of the comments. I frequent this school and volunteer and I can assure anyone that Mill Pond is a great school to be educated at. The principal, the counselor, the teachers and the support staff work hard for our students. If you have a student at Mill Pond you are very lucky.

Posted November 06, 2013
Mill Pond has been a positive environment for my kids. I would like to see more parrent involvement, but as a single working mother I understand it can be difficult. No school is perfect and unfortunately I think bureacracy has played a big role in 'tying' people's hands to just do what our teachers want to do. Teach our children!!! Be role models not parent our kids. It is a tough road for administrators, staff and students. I think Mill Pond staff try to find a reasonable balance. The one negative that I experiencing right is the complete lockdown of the building. I do not agree with the fact that children are unable to get back into the building quickly during recesses. Bad things can come on to the playground very easily and would put children outside at risk. Thank you Mill Pond for always trying to do what is best for all the kids.

Posted October 20, 2013
Mill Pond Elementary has been in session for 7 years and is under the second principal. It has had many ups and down since it was converted to an elementary from a grade 5 & 6 intermediate school. It started with 200 students more than was planned but now is at a reasonable population. It was a combination of three schools and a lot of parents weren't happy leaving their school. The first principal came from a MS setting and no experience with lower grades but did a great job. The 2nd principal came to MP in the middle of a lot of staff changes and not always happy ones. It has been rough start but is now thriving and recently won a State Academic Achievement Award. The two principals have different working ways but both have students education put first. I would like to say that we have 100 % parent satisfaction but that isn't the case and the small % is what usually writes the negative comments. I have worked for Yelm SD for 30 years and for 8 principals; all have always had Yelm students and their education success as a top priority. I was shocked to see some of the comments and can assure you that all of the story is not stated.

Mill Pond Intermediate School 2

Posted August 07, 2013
The principal is ridiculous. She talks down to you as if you are beneath her. She could benefit from a communications course. In the first 2 weeks my child was there she was punched in the face and another incident happened to my child. My child reported it to the monitors who did nothing and I found out when my child came home. I also seen a kid walk off school grounds during recess as we live by the school and no one seemed to notice! Shall I go on???? And that was only in the first 2 weeks! All of her work she brought home in those 2 weeks were coloring sheets. Needless to say we pulled her out and it was the best educational and social move we made for her.

Posted May 27, 2013
Teachers are great. Very involved and caring. They go out of their way to make learning fun. Not sure how the principal still has a job.

Mill Pond Intermediate School 3

Posted April 19, 2013
Overall, this school is too small for the amount of students attending; the play area is more of a postage stamp and not a playground. But the biggest problem is the principal. This person does not actively monitor the bullying problem. I'm not sure if she does not want to make waves or if she does not receive the support to handle this annoying problem. signed/ A concerned parent

Mill Pond Intermediate School 5

Posted April 17, 2013
This is a great school! Over the past seven years I have had two children going through this school, as well as being a very active volunteer myself. I love the entire staff and believe they have made my children's elementary years very successful. I am upset at some of these reviews as I am extremely involved in all aspects of my children's education and can speak from extensive experience that this truly is a great school. I do think that it is not only very important for us a parents to be involved in our children's education, but also to understand that school is for teaching not raising our children, and when an issue arises we need to make sure that we are helping to be a solution and not just finger pointers. Which only shows our children how to avoid taking responsibility for our part in situations.

Posted January 09, 2013
Millpond told me they didn't have the right program for my son and dis-enrolled him from school, refusing to allow him to return. Even when the district got involved, claiming that they knew for a fact that Millpond had the services, the Principal refused to provide them. This Principal clearly is not interested in supporting the special needs students. Her solution is to kick them out and not take accountability for them. Shame on you.

Posted August 29, 2012
Not a good principal. The other staff is ok,but the Principal is something else. AWFUL.

Mill Pond Intermediate School
909 Mill Rd SE, Yelm, WA  98597
Last modified Mill Pond Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mill Pond Intermediate School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 21 reviews. Top