Yelm, WA
Before care: Yes

Posted August 24, 2014
This school is amazing the kids really work hard there although the are a few kids who act rood its amazing they have had a lot of cool things to do in the school this school makes learning fun because you get to hang out with friends. This school should be a little more strict to the kids that act up but just as long as your kid is themself they will meet really good friends. Thank you for being there for me southworth elementary!

Posted June 10, 2014
Southworth Elementary is an amazing school for young children and parents. I attended this school when I was a kid and it is just as inviting now as over 20 years ago. I was very excited to see some of the staff there that I saw as a kid. My children love the environment and the staff. They feel welcome and supported. I have been to several schools as a parent and only a couple make you have that relaxed feeling inside. I know my kids are safe. The school does an outstanding job of keeping parents up to date on what is going on, by newsletters, emails and autodialers. The school is very structured and does a good job of holding the kids accountable, from the lunch room, to the classroom and to the playground. There are times when they put on activities for families and they are fun. Homework isnt too much and students should be reading at least 20 minutes a day at home. When there is student testing they make sure that all students have a stress free working environment and make sure parents are aware of those time. If there is a problem at school or even a minor accident, the school does a good job of notifying parents. It is definately a place for families to be.

Posted April 07, 2014
My son feels unsafe at this because of the complete lack of supervision on the playground. When this was brought to the attention of the principal it was blown off like we were just complaining parents. Several people surrounding us have already moved their kid's out of this school.

Posted April 23, 2013
The teachers and staff I've met are very friendly. My child feels safe and has made wonderful friends. My concern is is with the lack of education my child is receiving. The primary focus in my child's classroom is to help the "lower" achieving students to meet state standards. Unfortunately, this has created a situation where children who are exceeding standard are learning nothing and no child is receiving a well-rounded education. They are so concerned with state test scores that the primary focus is on math and reading. Therefore, MSP data is not an accurate representation of the performance/academic rigor of this school. There is no instruction in writing, they do not do spelling, social studies is minimal at best, and science lacks inquiry-based learning. Furthermore, when students have completed the minimal work required they are given time to finish their homework in class and still have time to read independently for up to two and a half hours per day. Yes, you read that correctly. After speaking with both the teacher and principal about our concerns nothing has changed. I would not recommend this school, solely based on academics.

Posted January 09, 2012
Southworth is an amazing school. As an educator myself, I have been nothing but happy. The staff is caring and gets to know every individual student. I really believe that they care about every student that walks through the door. Along with a caring staff, you will also find a strong sense of academic integrity. I feel honored to have my child part of such a great school!

Posted January 09, 2012
We moved our daughter this school when it became obvious to us that she needed a school that cared about her and her education. That was two years ago and she has reached educational goals that I never thought possible. We have had nothing but positive experiences with the staff and students. They truly care about the child as a whole. It is so nice to know my daughter is a priority and that she feels safe and loved when she is at school.

Posted January 09, 2012
This is our 3rd year at Southworth and we've loved every one of them. As a military family we've felt "at home" since our first day on campus. The teachers and staff always greet us with a smile and make us feel welcome and part of a community. Both of my children have excelled academically, yet continue to be challenged to push themselves further. I am confident they will leave Southworth prepared for the challenges of middle school.

Posted April 26, 2010
I have a Kinder that had speech delay when he first started at Southworth Elementary. I had my doubts when I was told that my son's reading level will improve by the end of the school year, much less speaking it. Several months later and still in Kinder, he comes home reading me a story from one of the books he brought home from school. I was (and still am) amazed at how he pronounced each word so precisely. To describe Southworth and its staff, they have gone above and beyond to meet my son's needs and my expectations. I am a very proud parent of Southworth, and I applaud its teachers and staff. THank you for everything.

Posted April 26, 2010

Posted October 05, 2009
I love this school! Great Enviroment!!!!!!

Southworth Elementary School
13849 Yelm Hwy SE, Yelm, WA  98597
Last modified Southworth Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southworth Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top