Yelm, WA

Posted September 02, 2013
I could not be happier with this school. If all of the schools in Yelm behaved as they do at Prairie, this district would flourish. I pulled my kids after three years at a different school and walked into Prairie with an extremely negative opinion of Yelm schools due to those experiences. However, after our year there, I am looking forward to the next. The assemblies every week allow parents to feel truly welcome and involved. They also help teach the kids from a very young age how to behave in mass social settings. Sixth graders are given a Kinder buddy, making the kinder feel more comfortable while teaching the sixth grader responsibility. My son, who typically cannot regulate well un medicated for his ADHD spent the entire summer with no problems. My daughter, who is typically antisocial and was targeted by people who were supposed to help her at her old school, was extremely social all summer, and numerous people who came into contact with her were amazed. Switching my children to Prairie was the best thing I could have ever done for their education and well being.

Posted April 26, 2010
The teachers and staff go above and beyond parents expectations, and children's needs. Thanks you Southworth!

Posted September 16, 2009
I love Prairie school because they love their kids. They are always helping each other, parents, faculty and children. It is very warm and inviting. The teacher are always in contact with the parents and how their child/children or doing.

Posted March 10, 2009
I have 2 children that attend Prairie, 1 is gifted the other struggles in reading. I feel that Prairie does a wonderful job of engaging both my children in school, supporting them and challenging them to meet their potential. Prairie has wonderful teachers, and a great supportive staff. I would recommend this school to anyone.

Posted June 05, 2006
I have a son with special needs, and needed a pre K pre school enviorment. Prairie Elementary has a fantastic program provinding little ones with the chance to get ready for the challenges of 'real' school. My son has ASD, and the teachers are well qualified, and caring. They have a full and sturdy program assessing all of the core fundamentals. There is also OT and SP should your child need it like mine. I have been very happy, and whats more important my son is too!

Posted May 21, 2006
great school wonderfull caring teachers.

Posted November 09, 2005
Both of my kids attended this elementary school and I felt the staff was wonderful, especially Mr. Eisenhardt. It was not our 'home' school but we commuted our kids back and forth. It was worth it.

Yelm Prairie Elementary School 4

Posted August 17, 2005
I would recommend Prairie Elementary! My daugher attended this school for three years, and is only leaving due to our relocation. My daughter ande I both loved the terafhers (especially Mrs. Werner 1st & 2nd gr) At the end of her third year, her reading level was that of 4.9 grade level, spelling was at a 5th grade level, and her sfores on the ITBS placed her nationally in the top 18%. Parents are encouraged and do participate on field trips, fundraisers and even acting and dancing it special shows. The only downfall was the Principal of 40 years leaving last year to retire, Mr. Eisenhart, he is sorely missed. My overall rating on a 1 to 10 is a firm 8.

Posted August 16, 2005
My son, Tristen came to Prairie last year in Oct. from a small Christian school. He was welcomed with open arms by both the staff and other students. As a parent, I had the fear that he would get lost in the shuffle of a bigger school but the opposite happened & his needs were taken care of more appropriatly. He was enrolled in a reading program and also his math skills went up a great deal. When we did have disapline issues (like most kids do), Mrs. Wentz was very helpful and not at all 'labeling' of Tristen & as the parent of a 'very active' 8 year old, I appreciate that!

Posted May 27, 2003
My son came to Yelm Prairie, a Gates Foundation school, as a transfer from a very prestigious private Montessori school. Yelm Prairie has exceed my every expectation of a public school- the school is well laid out, sees the students as holistic beings & strives to meet thier needs in every area, academically and creatively. The principal, Jim Eisenhardt, knows each student & most parents by name. The caring and dedication of every teacher shines through. My son was the youngest first grader & was able to achieve one of the highest academic levels- success of every student is a priority at Yelm Prairie.

16535 110th Ave SE, Yelm, WA  98597
Last modified Yelm Prairie Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Yelm Prairie Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top