Charleston, WV

Holz Elementary School 1

Posted April 26, 2015
I cannot believe the good ratings about this school. Obviously, these parents have not read the scores on the school's testing. 2012 Grade 3: 50% of the students proficient in Math 45% of the students proficient in Reading (Grade 3) 62% of the students proficient in Science 50% of the students proficient in Social Studies Yet, they indicate: "With a strong teacher retention rate, Holz boasts a fully certified professional staff, 66% of whom have earned master level degrees and higher. " The whole staff needs replaced starting with the principal.

Posted February 16, 2015
I'm happy with the choice we made to bring our little ones to school here. The teachers have been most helpful in their transition into this wonderful school.

Posted February 12, 2015
Holz has an emphasis on healthy habits for students. They have a running club, pack a snack challenge, exercise challenge, hiking trail challenge, chess club,and kangaroo club (Rope jumping), The staff are very professional and have the student's best interest in the for front. Academics are emphasized at all levels of student function.

Posted February 11, 2015
Working at Holz has been one of the best experiences of my professional career. Despite some of the challenges we face at this school and education in general, the staff works together to seek the best strategies and resources for our students. Our school is full of involved parents who do anything they can to promote student success. Students are offered the opportunity to participate in after-school tutoring, chess club, and several activities that promote health and wellness. Overall, Holz is the school many only dream about finding.

Posted February 11, 2015
Holz is the most outstanding school I have had the privilege to serve in 40 years as an educator in schools across the country. The depth of dedication to teaching and learning is truly amazing. All staff are committed to the care and nurturing of the children who enter our school, from cooks and custodians to volunteers. We have amazing community involvement and support that enables us to enrich the lives of our students and guide them to reach their potential. After my first year at Holz, a parent asked what I noticed that was different from other schools. My reply was immediate, the children are so happy and eager to learn! In addition, their compassion for others is remarkable.

Posted February 10, 2015
We moved our children to Holz from a local private school. At the time our oldest son was in third grade, and our youngest in first. We have now had four children in the school. Holz is an excellent school. Parent involvement is encouraged, and supported by the administration. One great benefit that we have seen is that the teachers are very honest about our children's achievement and progress. The information that they provided has given us the tools to support our children's needs. Holz is a great community school.
4 people found this helpful

Posted February 10, 2015
Caring teachers, professional administration, and very active parents make this a great school. Superb gifted program. The After-school tutoring program is very popular, as is the after-school chess club. A lack of support from the state/county presents challenges, which this school overcomes impressively. My children leap out of the car every morning at drop-off.
4 people found this helpful

Posted February 10, 2015
I have been very please with Holz Elementary school! I have had one child complete elementary and currently have my second child going through the school. Both of my children have had wonderful teachers. My child has required Extra services and it was a smooth transition. I think the speech, reading, and resource teacher are wonderful at what they do. They work together to make it easier for parents. I also wanted to mention outdoor classroom. This field trip sets Holz above the rest. This experience can not be replaced! I highly recommend Holz to any family searching for a new school.

Posted February 10, 2015
Holz Elementary School has provided a pleasant experience for our family for the last 4 years. My daughter has enjoyed each of her classroom teachers for the unique skills they bring to the classroom. The school offers many extracurricular activities such as running club, chess club and in the past they've offered Spanish club. The Wellness Committee also offers several fun and healthy challenges throughout the year - 5 a Day Challenge, Healthy Snack Class Competition, Holz Fitness Challenge. The school also rewards reading achievements with an Accelerated Reading party for students who achieve their reading goal. The school is a small community that allows children to thrive and get to know students in all grades. The Holz Annual Talent Show is a great example of the comfort and support level that Holz students provide to each other. The parent involvement in the school is another excellent benefit of Holz Elementary. The teachers, staff and parents are all supporting the academic involvement and achievements of the students. I would highly recommend this lovely neighborhood school.

Posted February 05, 2015
My son attended Holz from first grade to fifth grade. We were very pleased with his education. I volunteered to help students with reading and was welcomed into the class. I was impressed with how the teachers kept a good balance between freedom and structure in the classroom. I especially liked Outdoor Classroom, the Accelerated Reader Program and the student performances. When I was not happy with how one of the teachers was teaching, my concerns were immediately addressed by the principal. That teacher has since retired. I would highly recommend Holz Elementary to anyone. I think the teachers at Holz care about the students and are serious about educating our children.

Holz Elementary School
1505 Hampton Rd, Charleston, WV  25314
(304) 348-1906
Last modified Holz Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Holz Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top