Posted September 06, 2014
After moving form a private school.....well- let me say that ALL schools in this state are BAD. You have a problem when 70% of the 4th graders are below proficient in reading. Private schools use the same tests and have non-qualified teachers. The public schools aren't mush better, but require certification. As a whole, the schools stink! PATHETIC!!!!! The Governor / Legislature needs to DO SOMETHING.

Holz Elementary School 5

Posted September 05, 2014
After moving our children to Holz from a local private school, we have been very happy across the board.

Holz Elementary School 4

Posted August 13, 2013
Holz is a wonderful school. The teachers for the most part are caring and loving and prepare them for John Adams. It's funny how parents will bash teachers and the "clan" like VOLUNTEERS in earlier reviews. Per usual, staff and clan like moms all disrespected despite all the hard work and effort that goes into involvement in a public elementary. I'm not saying it is perfect, but that's a very hard goal to achieve. Hope our teachers know that most of us love and appreciate all they do in preparing our children for the next level of education. As far as test scores go, I'd like the parents to sit down and take a standardized test like that and see how their scores come back.

Posted February 16, 2013
The main problem with the school is the attitude of the teachers and administrators. Mrs Hovis needs to be fired. Total lack of regard and responsability for her students.

Holz Elementary School 4

Posted February 12, 2013
My child is in Ms. Hovis's second grade class. She is a VERY involved teacher, who takes her job seriously. The kids all love her, because she is friendly, fun and seems to enjoy what she does. I have never heard a teacher scream at a child or use poor grammar, and I believe the teachers dress for their jobs. They are teachers not business professionals. This is a great school with a great staff.

Posted September 30, 2012
It is very sad that our children must go to this school- a BLUE RIBBON SCHOOL????? I have no respect for the Blue Ribbon process. The teachers are unprofessional, use poor grammar, scream at the children, dress unprofessionally, have poor working habits, very poor teaching techniques and overall poor teachers. It is such a shame to put our darling children in these schools. If you have a choice do NOT send your child to this school...but then again, where do you go. The private schools are not much better.

Posted March 06, 2012
Extreme clan like behaviour exhibited by the staff and Mothers. Our family moved here because of my Husband's Gov. job. We were shocked by the sad difference in education of a supposed blue ribbon school and the inner city school my children attended prior. We much prefered the curriculum of the school my children attended before Holtz. I hope that my review stays on this site, as it has been removed a month ago, and I am hoping that our pain will give guidence for other parents gong through similar situations at this school.

Posted February 25, 2012
My child recenetly reported to me that a teacher at holz put her coffee cup in front of her mouth and said to another teacher these adhd kids r so annoying. This bothers me because this was done in front of my daughter who has add and needs extra help in reading and this woman is her reading specialist. My daughter was so sad and said i cant help it if im not as smart as the other kids. My daughter also tells me the various websites like victoria secrets and facebook that teachers visit during class time and u wouldnt believe the stuff she tells me about thier personal lives as well. It disturbs me. Are these teachers concerned with educating or thier personal lives. After almost 5years at Holz i have only met one teacher that truly cares about teaching children and that is Tamara Hovis she deserves the Blue Ribbon and so much more. If your child lands in her classroom you are very lucky. Im very distressed and worried about my daughter however my options are very limited and home schooling is an option i consider more and more everyday. Parents i urge u to go to netflix or your local library andvwtch a documetay called Waiting for Superman. KCS should be added.

Posted October 01, 2011
MY GOSH.... Just read the test scores...that says it all. SOMETHING needs to be done. Do these educators NOT get it?

Posted May 21, 2011
I moved from another state and it cannot touch our previous experience. Check the TEST SCORES on this site to see how well this school is doing. HORRIBLE!

Holz Elementary School
1505 Hampton Rd, Charleston, WV  25314
(304) 348-1906
Last modified Holz Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Holz Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 29 reviews. Top