Posted July 12, 2014
In response to the previous negative parent remark...I don't know which teachers you are referring too- my child has had an excellent experience at HMMS. The teachers are motivated, caring and willing to aid a student at any moment. My son has had an excellent experience and cannot wait for 7th grade. His math teacher was challenging, but excellent! He loved her and sees math differently now. Horace Mann is the best school in the county- hands down!

Posted November 18, 2013
It is absolutely awful. The teachers are uninterested and unmotivated. The kids are treated rudely and the level of education is completely unsatisfactory.

Posted August 24, 2011
This is a great school with excellent teachers and an outstanding music program. A safe and fun environment to grow academically and socially.

Posted August 24, 2011
Great start to another successful year at Horace Mann Middle School. The new principal made a very good first impression on students and teachers. I am so happy with the teachers commitment to making this an excellent learning environment for our kids. Academic achievements of the kids are great and the music program is outstanding!

Horace Mann Middle School 4

Posted March 27, 2011
This is a pretty good school actually! HMMS is very well rounded in academics, athletics, and music. The principal has high standards and leads an excellent school.

Posted February 15, 2011
I think this is an excellent school. Any time I need a teacher, they return my calls and are alwayspolite and professional. The principal and assistant are excellent--they are strong leaders who demand excellence. I can think of no other school that is so devoted to academics, the arts, the community and athletics. All students are treated with respect regardless of who they are. I love HMMS!

Posted November 01, 2010
I am Georgi Rader, the Honor Society president of 2010, and I believe that HMMS is most certainly a fine school! Although the rule of No zip ups is a tad bit strict, the other simple rules are very easy to obey! Dr. Blackwell and Mr. Stowers stand outside to give you a handshake every morning and also ask how you are doing! It is the best start to a very positive school day! I will now now answer the criteria of a great school on the right, HMMS has exellent staff, all with a very positive attitude! I will say we are a very disciplined school, which shows strong leadership! Our academic scores- SRI, Westest, scores are very high! We are challenged everyday and that is exactly what we need!

Posted October 22, 2010
Very poor principal who demonstrates dictatorial attitudes and non responsiveness to student safety issues. If you like a martinet, and don't care about your student's well being then choose this school, otherwise move on....very quickly.

Posted August 17, 2010
I am extremely disappointed with Horace Mann Middle School. There are a few fine teachers at HMMS who do a good job, but the bad teachers greatly outweigh whatever positive impression is made. All any parent has to do is look at the quality of writing displayed by the students who have commented here to know that spelling, grammar, punctuation and organization of thought are not given much attention at Horace Mann. Principal Blackwell seems to be more concerned with students feeling good about themselves than actually having them learn something and have a reason to feel good about themselves. Grade inflation is rampant, so that students think they are doing great even when they are not learning anything. They are being set up for failure. Overall, a pretty sad situation.

Posted May 13, 2010
i go here and it's the best place you can be.!

Horace Mann Middle School
4300 MacCorkle Ave, Charleston, WV  25304
(304) 348-1971
Last modified Horace Mann Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horace Mann Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 39 reviews.