Charleston, WV

Posted December 12, 2013
As a graduate of this school I can honestly say that this was the best school I ever went to. Granted that was back in the late 90's and early 2000's when Ms. Valentine was there, she has since retired but I do know that some of the teachers are still there and they still implement Ms. Valentine's caring and compassion approach at education. 5 stars by a long shot!!! I truly believe I would not be the man I am today if it wasn't for my time at this school. -Dylan Class of 2002

Posted August 28, 2013
As a second year parent at KCE I find the school to be well run, clean and safe. The principal and/or other adult greets students by name every morning. The students are respectful and always orderly. All teachers my child has contact with are excellent teachers and caring individuals. We are involved parents and the school welcomes our involvement and our presence at any time. I believe the staff has high expectations for every child and the principal has high expectations for all staff members. Academic performance is rewarded and my child is challenged. I'm very pleased with the school.

Posted August 28, 2013
KCE is a great school that has strong teachers and a good principal. The kids are well behaved and the parents are very involved.

Posted April 27, 2013
Been here 2 years and I am very happy. The academics are better than the previous Catholic school. My kids love it and they do great both learning and socializing. I am sick and tired about parents complaining about " stern" teachers. If kids follow simple rules, nobody gets yelled at. Not all teachers are strong, but I do believe in beings personally involved in my kids' education.

Kanawha City Elementary School 1

Posted March 15, 2013
I also dont feel the staff is very friendly at the school. I'm tired of not getting notes sent home telling me when there is no school or when the half days are. I dont get the note until a day or two, to late. I do not like the Attitude of M. Mogase, she is very rude and is honestly way to stern with the children, not just one but several children. The children are really afraid of her. NO studant should be afraid of any teacher. How can they trust someone like that if they should ever really have a problem at school or in there home life? I know my kids wouldnt tell her if they were even sick because they are so afraid of her and my kids are no Angels but never had any problems at the other school, they used to enjoy school, but not now. I do not reccomend this school for any children.

Kanawha City Elementary School 1

Posted February 18, 2013
I've read the other reviews, and I tend to agree with most. I'm concerned about the schools ways of discipline. My kids dont like being yelled at, I dont want teachers to be so stern that my kids think they are being yelled. It's up to the parent to discipline the child Not a teacher. I find alot of things are just to dificult for my kids. Especially my 8 yr old with a learning disability. My kids started this year, they cry and dont want to go to school, they say they hate it. I just dont know what else to do but find another school for them, maybe a christian school. The principal didnt want to be bothered with me when I enrolled my kids an tried to tell her of the problems they had. They recently lost their father and were feeling lost. I have had the feeling of non careing ever since they started there. Thats only my opinion.

Posted February 26, 2010
My child has gone to KCE for 6 years and will be going to middle school next year. I feel that our new principle is political. Some of the teachers don't listen to both sides when there is an argument. Their academic records are good. The good thing about that school is their loving caring counselor.

Posted September 09, 2009
My child has attended KCE 2 yrs. now. I have not been impressed by the communication between teachers and parents. Papers and forms of events are always sent after the fact. The gym is way undersized for the amount of students. Students are not excersized, also I dont believe my child gets enough stimulation out of the lesson plans. Students get practically zero hands on learning. On a lighter note. It is refreshing to see the principal opening the car doors, and greeting the children and parents every morning rain or shine.

Kanawha City Elementary School 4

Posted September 08, 2009
For the most part this school has been wonderful. Only of my children goes here now but soon both will be. Academically the school is wonderful. My child's reading level is higher than normal for kids her age (as is her classmates as well). The only issues we've had are with discipline system ,that I was not so impressed with.

Posted April 08, 2009
Glad my children have finally moved on. KCE struggled with leadership when my children attended and when a new principal come abroad, not sure it got any better. My second child's experience there on the whole was not pleasant all. There were several bright spots however- the very caring counsellor, one of the fifth grade teachers, the cooks, and the custodial staff.

Kanawha City Elementary School
3601 Staunton Ave SE, Charleston, WV  25304
(304) 348-1985
Last modified Kanawha City Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Kanawha City Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top