Bad
Good

Posted August 17, 2011
I love this school my son had adhd impulsive disorder and the principal, secretary, and the counselor have been so helpful in making my son feel comfortable and keeping me informed on whats goin on with him. I thank them for making these years a good experience.

Posted March 31, 2010
My family moved here from California three years ago. Our first year here, we had our children in another school and were shocked at the drastic difference in admin and how behind the classes were. When we put them in Overbrook, I was thrilled to see a professional and caring staff. With three kids, we have very different personalities and needs among them, and I have been quite satisfied. The Principal, counselor, secretary and teachers have been wonderful, (with the exception of one out of five teachers I've experienced.) In particular, our youngest's Kindergarten experience was great...and he was the one we were most concerned about. K teachers there have a good balance of dicipline and understanding.

Posted July 14, 2009
Overbrook has a special educator who is trained in Slingerland, a classroom-based Orton-Gillingham technique. She is demanding, but helps students make great progress in reading.

Posted April 02, 2009
My daughter has been at Overbrook for 6 years now. I have never had a problem with anything at all! My daughter is working at a 7th grade level in many subjects (but only a 5th grader). I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Posted January 27, 2009
Both of my children attended Overbrook Elementary and received a solid foundation for educational development and learning. They were given a caring and encouraging environment to learn in and this base was instrumental in their success in junior high, high school and college. Both children are successful adults and I atribute a lot of this to their initial exposure to a quality education system at this school.

Overbrook Elementary School 2

Posted May 13, 2008
There are some quality teachers at Overbrook. Unfortunately, there are some who are less than adequate. The administration is a nightmare. Incompetent and virtually useless. I agree with the first poster that some parents are excluded. there are some wonderful parent volunteers, but there are also a couple (one who is there daily) who just shouldn't be there. They don't interact appropriately with students or other parents. Very unprofessional. I think most of the blame for this lies with the administration. Overbrook is in desperate need of strong and competent leadership.

Overbrook Elementary School 1

Posted August 30, 2005
Teachers are under great stress to deleiver high test scores, they tend to be aloof and non-responsive. Quality of teacher continues to go downhill as better teachers leave for other schools. Have been to the board office more then once over teacher and principal behaviour, and each time official at board backed us which helped the situation. A few parents seem to run the school and excludes parents who want to contribute. A notable drop in both funds raised and parent participation has occured over last four years, and according to parents is a result of the principals lack of leadership and the few parents who refuse to allow participation from others not in their 'click'. Weberwood and Holtz are far superior choices.

Overbrook Elementary School 4

Posted June 02, 2004
All three of my sons have attended Overbrook, the youngest since kindergarten. There is a better racial mix overall than is typical in WV. The teachers seem to really care about my boys and they are all doing well here. The middle school and high school that Overbrook feeds into are extremely demanding so they need a good foundation here and are getting it. High marks for this school, although the 'portable' classrooms (in reality trailers) are undesirable and a hassle for the students to have to learn in them. The professional staff is amazing and quick to meet you half way. Do not expect an easy school, Overbrook is demanding for both students and parents. I believe it is worth it.

Posted September 05, 2003
My daughter transfered to this school from another during her first grade year. She is a special needs child recieving additional help in math. I could quickly tell a difference in the quality of education she was recieving. Not only did she begin to grasp math concepts she had been struggling with, but her general level of anxiety over school decreased and she began to enjoy school more. I also applaud her teachers and principal for their attitudes toward me and my daughter; they see her as a child who is doing her best to overcome her difficulties and they always treat her with kindness and respect. Although attitudes are less notable than math skills, they make a big difference in her education.

218 Overbrook Rd, Charleston, WV  25314
Last modified Overbrook Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Overbrook Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top