Bad
Good

I had two sons attend Overbrook, one from K-4 and the other K-2. One of the things I disliked most about leaving Charleston was leaving this school. The teachers my boys had cared about the students and tried to challenge my children to perform to the best of their abilities. The teachers worked to find different ways to teach and help children learn so it was fun but still educational. Both my children excelled academically at Overbrook. My experience overall with parent-teacher communication was very positive and the cooperation between the administration and the Parent-Teacher Organization helped make this school stronger. Our family's time at Overbrook was a great start to my children's academic careers.

I love this school my son had adhd impulsive disorder and the principal, secretary, and the counselor have been so helpful in making my son feel comfortable and keeping me informed on whats goin on with him. I thank them for making these years a good experience.

My family moved here from California three years ago. Our first year here, we had our children in another school and were shocked at the drastic difference in admin and how behind the classes were. When we put them in Overbrook, I was thrilled to see a professional and caring staff. With three kids, we have very different personalities and needs among them, and I have been quite satisfied. The Principal, counselor, secretary and teachers have been wonderful, (with the exception of one out of five teachers I've experienced.) In particular, our youngest's Kindergarten experience was great...and he was the one we were most concerned about. K teachers there have a good balance of dicipline and understanding.

Overbrook has a special educator who is trained in Slingerland, a classroom-based Orton-Gillingham technique. She is demanding, but helps students make great progress in reading.

My daughter has been at Overbrook for 6 years now. I have never had a problem with anything at all! My daughter is working at a 7th grade level in many subjects (but only a 5th grader). I would highly recommend this school to anyone.

Both of my children attended Overbrook Elementary and received a solid foundation for educational development and learning. They were given a caring and encouraging environment to learn in and this base was instrumental in their success in junior high, high school and college. Both children are successful adults and I atribute a lot of this to their initial exposure to a quality education system at this school.

There are some quality teachers at Overbrook. Unfortunately, there are some who are less than adequate. The administration is a nightmare. Incompetent and virtually useless. I agree with the first poster that some parents are excluded. there are some wonderful parent volunteers, but there are also a couple (one who is there daily) who just shouldn't be there. They don't interact appropriately with students or other parents. Very unprofessional. I think most of the blame for this lies with the administration. Overbrook is in desperate need of strong and competent leadership.

Last modified Overbrook Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.