Washington-Irving Middle School

Public | 6-8

Posted September 7, 2013

I have grandchildren that have gone to WI Middle and I believe it to be either the worst school in the state or at least close to the worst. I have now put grandchildren in private school to keep them away from WI. The teachers are horrible both as educators and as humans. I went to high school there but then at least the teachers then were interested in the students and they got respect because they showed respect and they deserved respect. Not now.

Posted September 5, 2013

I am a former student of WI, and all I can say is that I survived. It was horrible, and I still carry scars (emotional) from the time that I attended. I was shy and had awful experiences with many of the teachers. One woman in particular is still there, teaching 7th grade. She accused me of being disrespectful, uncooperative, etc. The problem was that I was so quiet I hated to explain or defend myself. I felt like she kept confusing me with other people, she kept calling me ally. She noticed if my homework was incomplete, but she never seemed to notice that I was getting bullied at my locker every day, just 4 ft from her. When parents say there is a bullying problem at this school, I believe them. The same teachers who ignored it then are ignoring it now. I don't see how a teacher can stand there and let boys yell at a girl that she is a fat cow, tell me that I stink, spray air freshener in my face and in my locker, and call me the B word. This happened right in front of them. When it's obvious the teachers don't care, there's no point in the victim speaking out. You come to believe all the insults are true, or else why wouldn't the adults stop them and help you?

Posted November 2, 2008

I was very unwilling to send my children to WI when my daughter began middle school. I have since changed my mind. I feel that it is one of the best schools in Harrison County. I have two children at WI MIDDLE and they both love it. My daughter is an 8th grader now and is involved in sports and from grade school through 8th she has been an honor roll student. She has had to work hard and study but she loves it. My son is a 6th grader this year and is also on the honor roll. He on the other hand doesnt study much and does well. I am invoved in my children's school activities and everyone in the office seems to be very nice. The best advise I can give someone is if your children are hard workers and you are involved they will be fine.

Posted November 5, 2007

As a parent of two students attending WI. I will comment that my two older children are both doing very well at this school. My daughter is in honors. I get a little tired of parents saying that bullies are more overpowering in this school than in any other. All schools will have their share of mischievous children. It is part of life. All children will encounter it at some point in time in their life. I have not noticed my children's grades dropping at all since attending WI. I think parents need to stop blaming schools for the outcome of their children's grades.

Posted April 30, 2007

As a parent of a 6th grader I'm not happy with the school.My daughter was an honor student and now is barely passing.There are a few good teachers but most are poor teachers.There is one female 6th grade teacher who is rude to both students and parents.The teachers dont notify the parents if the students grades drop in class.That is the parents responsibility.They dont give homework to a sick child unless they miss more than three days of school.The main principal is one who carries favorites in the school as well as most of the teachers.There is alot of bullying within the school yet its ignored.Parents involvement is not welcomed nor their concerns.If there is a problem and you approach the staff or main principal the child is normally the blame.I cant believe how poorly the school is ran. Parents complain yet we are ignored as well.

Posted March 24, 2006

This is my second year at WI and I think ,instead of getting better as the principals say, it's getting worse. I could go on all day abot this school, but I think I have better things to do than to sit here and complain. C.K.G.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 28, 2006

The school has more then one problem. There are a few great teachers there, however there are also many poor teachers. My child is a 6th grader coming from a small community grade school where he excelled in every class with straight 'A . Since entering WI his grades have all dropped and he hates going to school. This is a new problem we never had before. I believe that the extracurricular activities at the school are only pushed to the 'pets' of the teachers in charge of the activities and very little opportunities are left open for the other students. Parent involvement is meet with hostility!

Posted October 25, 2005

WI in my opinion is a terrible school. Last year they had many stop bullying posters and they still walked right past the kids who were bullying others and did nothing. Finily when they got complaints the still did nothing.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 17, 2003

Washington Irving in my opinion is one of the best schools in Harrison County, I should know I go there after going to Gore for one year. I can tell you that I'm not the only student who thinks WI is a great school 9/10 students if you take a survey would say WI is a Really good school.
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 51% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

207 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2011-2012 West Virginia used the West Virginia Educational Standards Test 2 (WESTEST 2) to test students in grades 3 through 11 in reading, math and social studies, and grades 3 through 9 in science. The WESTEST 2 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of West Virginia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2012.

211 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2012.

211 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2012.

208 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 40% in 2012.

208 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2012.

187 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2012.

187 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2012.

183 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

182 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students51%

Title I38%
Students with disabilities12%
Students without disabilities44%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the West Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students49%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 55%N/A53%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

443 Lee Ave