Elkins, WV

Posted November 24, 2014
My child is only in the sixth grade and only half the year is over, but what I have experienced so far the school seems to be a pretty good school. I worry about the other kids in the school with the bullying and if the teachers do enough to stop the bullying. Other than that, my experience with the school has been a great one!

Posted November 24, 2014
My child is only in the sixth grade and it is only have the year into school, but from what I have seen so far, the teachers seem to really care about the students. I get engrade messages to keep me posted. The only thing I worry about is if the teachers do anything about bullying in the school. I hope that they have no tolerance for bullying. This is the most impressionable time of the students durin their middle school years, so that is why I worry about bullying so much. Other than that, my child loves this school and is doing really well! Great job Elkins Middle School.

Posted November 14, 2012
We have 4 children and we just withdrew our youngest from this horrible school. The principal is overwhelmed, the teachers are argumentative and lazy, and there is bullying by the students and the teachers. The worst thing is that the teachers (almost all of them) realize that there are very few options and this contributes to their arrogance. It's just a waste of time to talk to the teachers or the principal because they circle the wagons, blame the student, and then blame the parent (surprise, surprise). A similar thing that happened with three different teachers . . . Our child was doing "fine" at mid-term but by the end of the marking period she was failing two classes and making a "D" in a 3rd class. We went on the internet site where grades and homework is posted but it wasn't kept current by any of the teachers. When we asked what the problem was, we were told that our child wasn't completing the work. We informed each teacher that we rarely saw our child bring any work home and each of them said the same thing. All of the work is done in class and we can't send textbooks home. When we asked how it was possible to miss work done in class we got blank stares.

Posted September 21, 2009
The School Board is the problem at the Middle School. They need to clean house at the middle school. The school is getting a make over, but when the kids return bathrooms need to be unlocked, every student needs to be provided text books and the teachers need to follow State mandated lesson plans. The school operates on a team concept taking only the better students seriously. When a less motivated student reach High School they often arrive unprepared. Most of the teachers are good, some great, but there is some deadwood in key courses. The front office seems to be the schools weakest link in holding teachers accountable for what they produce. The Music department is excellent maybe as good as it gets anywhere. Five Stars for the music department. The Cross Country Coach is excellent, has been the seed producing High School Cross Country Champions. Neighboring schools are better.

Elkins Middle School 3

Posted September 08, 2009

Posted August 26, 2007

Elkins Middle School 2

Posted November 15, 2006
EMS has some great teachers/coaches as well as some not so great teachers/coaches. This is a tough age group of children to teach. However, all children deserve to treated with respect regardless of who they are or what they have done or what their abilities are. Would like to see more in the lines of art programs for the children who have the talent (not just one 9 wks if they are lucky). More low cost extracurricular activities would be nice. All children who are interested in a sport should be able to play, not just the 'better' ones - they more they play the better they get. Maybe have teams and intramurals. I have heard several remarks made by teachers that have been disturbing-would like to see them monitored a little more closely.

Posted November 12, 2006
It is really unfortunate to me to read these reviews. I am a teacher at Elkins Middle School. I can only speak for myself, but I know that if I did not absolutely LOVE my job and LOVE children, I would walk out the door. The day I wake up and realize that I was ever rude or inconsiderate toward any child, I would quit immediately. We do not become teachers because of the pay, or the vacations, and OBVIOUSLY not for the praise and support we get from the community (which is nonexistent), we become teachers because we truly love our jobs. If you think that is not the case, PLEASE spend a day in your child's classrooms and see for yourself how much EVERY teacher at that school loves their job.

Posted January 29, 2006
This school gets kids sick!! It has asbestos that causes cancer and raw sewage in the back field!Someone needs to contact the health department immediately or ELSE!!Our Kids don't deserve this treatment!especially the Girls!!! There is never toilet paper in the bathroom or soap!!!

Elkins Middle School 4

Posted December 06, 2005
- a former student
I am glad to read a review that includes the poor condition of the middle school and not just a critique of the teachers. It really is disgusting that our children must attend such a dirty, old school. The building needs destroyed and rebuilt. I have seen kennels in better shape than this school. Furthermore, the temperature is never right because there is no air conditioning and the heaters don't work properly. As far as the teachers go, it is easy to say things about people, but you don't know if you haven't walked in their shoes. There were comments about the teachers bullying students and being rude. I just want to say that their is more violence today and teachers deal with different problems than they used to.

Elkins Middle School
308 Robert East Lee Ave, Elkins, WV  26241
Last modified Elkins Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Elkins Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top