Elkview Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 707 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 4, 2013

I love Elkview Middle School. There are only two teachers I like. The teachers are Mrs. Henry and Mrs Reed they are the best two teachers ever, but thank you for english miss jarrett if i didnt have u i wouldnt have my writing skills up already. I love miss henry because her first period is the best she love every kid but she loves first period the most. I just hope i dont move anytime soon.

Posted April 1, 2011

EMS is like the worst school ever, I'm currently in 8th grade and I hate it. I cannont tell you how much I'm looking forward to high school. 7th grade was my only good year and it was only because I had Mrs. Lancaster and Mr. Bailey. They are the best teachers you will ever have. I would not recomed Elkview for any student. Most of the staff if horrible and the students are disrespectful aswell. I'm VERY dissapointed in this school educational facility.

Posted March 2, 2011

I am very upset with the quality of education my children receive at this school and what classes they actually have to offer. Students have to repeat the same classes because the school does not have anything else to offer the students. The staff and leadership seem to be OK with mediocre instead of trying to raise the bar and challenge the kids to want to do more. It is very frustrating for me as a parent to have to fight for my kids education and they act as if they don't care.

Posted May 11, 2010

EMS is a good school and the teachers care. Mrs henry is the best math teacher ever. Im happy to attend EMS
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 22, 2009

It would be nice if the teachers actually cared. This is my son's first year and let me tell you, it's been culture shock! He's always been on the honor roll throughout elementary school now, at Elkview Middle the teachers let them do tests over and have way too many open-book tests! He's starting to have the 'I don't have to learn this because the teacher will just give it back to me later to do over if I don't make a good grade attitude'. It's very frustrating for me to watch his attitude change so fast. I have also encountered a problem with the teachers letting them get their cell phones, Ipods, PSP's out and PLAY with them if they don't want to go over anything. I don't let my son take these things to school, but he just plays with everyone else's anyway. They also have substitutes a lot.

Posted May 10, 2006

Well where do I start! I am very upset over this school year my son is in the 8th grade and has had a sub all year in math and he is behind...Mind you he has always been a straight 'A' student. I have talked to the principal about the matter but got nowhere! now I am sending my son to tutoring over the summer so he won't be left behind when he enters high school....I would tell you to make sure if you are sending your child here to check out the system first....We need some change here....The math department is lacking and so is the english department in the 7th grade.

Posted January 6, 2006

Hey I go to this school and I will tell you right now it's not a very good school they don't take to time to explain things to us they need to do better things then give the kids a hard time.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 5, 2005

I think EMS is a great school. The staff are friendly and most of the students are, too. All of my teachers so far have made sure that I understand the material and cover it thoroughly. I think Elkview Middle is a great place to send your kids, and it's where I'll send mine.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 6, 2005

We are very concerned parents when it comes to our son's education & are very stricked with him the teachers and the asst.Principle are very helpful to us with his needs. However last year was not a good year for our son he almost failed, we think it was because the class rooms are to crowded & there is not enough 1 on 1 with the teacher & student. it's the system their letting our kids fall through the cracks because their tired of dealing with them & their educational needs.

Posted March 24, 2005

Choose a different school than EMS. There are reasons I can not go into, but make a different choice for your child. Be smart.

Posted January 19, 2005

I am a 16 year-old student at Herbert Hoover High School currently, before attending HHHS i went to middle school at EMS. My experience there was absoulutley unforgettable. The teachers were caring, and understanding. But not to leneant with work due and the rules. Tough but caring was the over-all atmosphere at EMS. The extra-curricular activities were overwhelming, if any kid wanted to be involved in something, then there was something for them to do. Parents of children that go to EMS have always been a huge part of the FUN activites there, they always help. As a matter of fact I am a volunteer at EMS. I truthfully want my children to go there for middle school.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 5, 2004

This is my first year at Elkview Middle. I have had nothing but an pleasant experience. My daughter has great teachers on the Cardinals team. And she has learned alot. She looks forward to going to school each day. I find the principal pleasant. And the office workers very helpful. Even the student helpers are very friendly. I think this school is great!

Posted November 12, 2004

Elkview Middle School has a few teachers who care about the children. The majority, however, aren't teaching. They just send the work home. The principal isn't being very cooperative in trying to get issues resolved. And, I, myself am not going to stop fighting until the attitude of the teachers improve and they start doing what they are paid for.

Posted September 18, 2004

Elkviw Middle School is a wondeful place for students however there are now more like 800 students in the school and the person that was talking about the 50 students and 2 teachers that calss is called tech ed and it's the same as simply putting two classes together which is what they do. Also Elkview Middle just recieved a bunch of new teachers which are all excellent. Especially a new WV Studies teahcer for the tigers team. So as far as I'm concerned Elkview Middle is one of the best schools in Kanawha county and has been as long as its been around.

Posted April 22, 2004

Elkview Middle School ratio is like 1:28 students per teacher, however my daughter had an elective class this school year with 50 students in the class room and 2 teachers. I feel like Kanawha County schools are trying to hard to see who completes the books the fastest, for what ever reason I dont know. Im currently not happy with Kanawha County schools being that I feel they put to much pressure on the children and their parents. At the begining of the school year last year my youngest child brought home a letter from a local Grade School stating that the expected time for home work was 45 minutes in the first grade including every day except Fridays and for third graders it was an hour and a half. Believe me we had 45 minutes or homework everyday. Who are the teachers the parents?

Posted September 9, 2003

I think Kanawha County Board of Education is trying to squeeze too many children into our schools. Elkview Middle is too crowded. Last year all of my son's classes were in portable class rooms except gym and lunch. They have expanded some this year, but there is still over-crowding in the classrooms.

Posted June 16, 2003

The teacher to student ratio is more like 1:27, I don't know where the 16 comes from, and there is more than 544 students in this school. This used to be a good school, now it is hard to find a teacher in this school that cares about the students.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2012.

262 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 51% in 2012.

262 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

259 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

253 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2011-2012 West Virginia used the West Virginia Educational Standards Test 2 (WESTEST 2) to test students in grades 3 through 11 in reading, math and social studies, and grades 3 through 9 in science. The WESTEST 2 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of West Virginia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2012.

230 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2012.

230 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2012.

225 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 40% in 2012.

224 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2012.

221 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2012.

220 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2012.

214 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

214 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students45%

Title I24%
Students with disabilities0%
Students without disabilities26%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the West Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students48%

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A51%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

• Nurse(s)
  • Gym

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Choir / Chorus

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

5090 North Elk River Rd