Huntington, WV
Students enrolled: 1,609

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted August 03, 2015
Teachers teach the bare minimum. Sometimes they'll communicate with and help you, but you must be persistent about it. Of course, most students don't listen or pay attention, so I can't blame teachers entirely. I have had great teachers, but they're a rarity. Some a lax about policies, but most go overboard. It's a shame really -- 'bad' teachers are never caught, but 'good' teachers are caught.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted August 03, 2015
It really depends on the teacher and willingness of students. But sometimes, especially if you miss a day, you have a ton of work handed to you from the missed day current day. And you're given a day to makeup that work. Some teachers, however, want to see some type of doctor's excuse.

Develops respect: Strongly disagree

Posted August 03, 2015
Why would students respect you if you don't commit? If you give free passes or over-punishments, you'll earn something, but it won't be respect.

Develops empathy: Strongly disagree

Posted August 03, 2015
I think you get the idea... The administration and most teachers simply don't care about individual students. Administration and teachers don't get paid enough to care.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 03, 2015
The administration only cares about athletes and causing-problem students. When those students do something wrong, the administration will "go easy" on them. When a polite and respectable student gets in trouble, even for the most redundant things, "we expect better of you," so we'll go ahead and give you the absolute max penalty. Even if you have a good excuse, especially for tardies, they say, "that's not a good excuse," or "just leave earlier next time."

Posted August 03, 2015
I'm a senior at this 'school'. My education has lacked, because the teachers rarely teach! You can no longer use phones, which is rarely upheld by teachers and ignorant of this policy are the students. Teachers do not go above the call of duty, but I can't blame them entirely. The problem-causing students never try in class, and are given mediocre punishments for violating school policy. The administration believes that the 'bad' students and athletes should be given softer punishments because "it could cause problems for our school and students." The 'good' students, however, are the ones who receive the iron fist punishments for things like tardies. The administration recently introduced an insane tardy policy that resets ever semester instead of 9 weeks. If you get only three tardies, you get 3 days morning detention or 2 days after school detention. It continues to get worse per 3 tardies. And they don't care what excuse you have, you still get the tardies. Since our school is so conveniently placed on top of a hill of an interstate, there are a lot of crashes and delays. Even if you get caught in traffic, "you will have to leave your house earlier next time." Once, I had a family emergency and was at the hospital all night, but still went to school, because the school will sue you in a heartbeat. I was eight minutes late and explained my situation, I was still given a tardy. Luckily, if you're in trouble with the law or an athlete, you basically get a 'get-out-of-jail free card'. The school teachers hardly uphold any policies, the administration will hammer down on the 'good' students, and everyone else roams about freely. I'm a quite, respectable and hardworking student who cares about education, and I couldn't honestly recommend anyone send his or her child to this wasteland. The only white cards I've gotten were for tardies, yet I've spent more time in In-school suspension than my friend -- he's received multiple white cards for behaviour, damage and quite a few other things. He once broke a door (damage). He's been sued for truancy, and yet, he hasn't spent as much time in ISS as I. Why is that? I also know people who have missed weeks of school, but weren't sued by the school. But when I missed six days, I received a letter saying my mother and I could be sued for truancy. I'm not sure what's going on at HHS, but it certainly isn't education.

Posted September 21, 2012
This school is the epitome of bad education. My courseload of all AP classes rarely garners outside work or research. I can glide without any participation whatsoever, and I still receive A's. Teachers do not strive to make progress in students, and they are ineffective at their goals. Most students lack any motivation whatsoever, and skip class regularly. Administrators do not help the situation, and focus on petty violations like dress code and lunches. This school has a massive truancy problem that has yet to resolved even after intervention by the courts. WESTEST scores show that this school is not succeeding at its job. A smart parent would avoid this school at all costs.

Huntington High School 2

Posted June 22, 2011
I graduated from HHS in 2009. When I first came to this school I enjoyed the freedoms of a diverse and wonderfully taught school. The teachers knew what they were doing and I was able to find a niche in the student body. It all went downhill in 2006, the year they instituted the Freshman Academy program. That place is now little more than a glorified baby sitting service. Most of the good teachers retired about the same time several fresh, new teachers were hired. Unfortunately, fresh and new doesn't guarantee they knew what they were doing. By the time I graduated, there were cuts to the funding and staff of the music department (there goes arts enrichment) and I was sleeping through every class I was taking while still making good grades. I wrote all of two papers my last two years in high school. That shouldn't have been possible. Also, the administration there was a joke. Not only did they take away every privilege they could, such as eating lunch outside, they instituted a tardy system that couldn't have helped learning. If you weren't on time for class, even by a few seconds, you couldn't go. You were sent to inhouse detention, or alternative school after three offenses.

Posted May 23, 2011
Sending my child to Huntingto High was the biggest mistake. The teachers only support the athletes and cheerleaders.

Huntington High School 3

Posted June 11, 2009
Nice physical facility. Disappointing curriculum for a consolidated school that was supposed to offer more. Does not meet the smart kids expectations. Has to cater to the special ed. crowd.

1 Highlander Way, Huntington, WV  25701
Last modified Huntington High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Huntington High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top