Huntington, WV
Students enrolled: 1,609

Posted September 21, 2012
This school is the epitome of bad education. My courseload of all AP classes rarely garners outside work or research. I can glide without any participation whatsoever, and I still receive A's. Teachers do not strive to make progress in students, and they are ineffective at their goals. Most students lack any motivation whatsoever, and skip class regularly. Administrators do not help the situation, and focus on petty violations like dress code and lunches. This school has a massive truancy problem that has yet to resolved even after intervention by the courts. WESTEST scores show that this school is not succeeding at its job. A smart parent would avoid this school at all costs.

Posted June 22, 2011
I graduated from HHS in 2009. When I first came to this school I enjoyed the freedoms of a diverse and wonderfully taught school. The teachers knew what they were doing and I was able to find a niche in the student body. It all went downhill in 2006, the year they instituted the Freshman Academy program. That place is now little more than a glorified baby sitting service. Most of the good teachers retired about the same time several fresh, new teachers were hired. Unfortunately, fresh and new doesn't guarantee they knew what they were doing. By the time I graduated, there were cuts to the funding and staff of the music department (there goes arts enrichment) and I was sleeping through every class I was taking while still making good grades. I wrote all of two papers my last two years in high school. That shouldn't have been possible. Also, the administration there was a joke. Not only did they take away every privilege they could, such as eating lunch outside, they instituted a tardy system that couldn't have helped learning. If you weren't on time for class, even by a few seconds, you couldn't go. You were sent to inhouse detention, or alternative school after three offenses.

Posted May 23, 2011
Sending my child to Huntingto High was the biggest mistake. The teachers only support the athletes and cheerleaders.

Huntington High School 3

Posted June 11, 2009
Nice physical facility. Disappointing curriculum for a consolidated school that was supposed to offer more. Does not meet the smart kids expectations. Has to cater to the special ed. crowd.

Posted May 20, 2009

Posted March 07, 2008

Huntington High School 5

Posted February 02, 2008

Posted January 24, 2008
I honestly don't think that the school is all that great. There are teachers that care about the students, but there are more that are there just for the pay check and pick favorites. A few of my friends have left because of unfair treatment. I'm not very satisfied with the disipline either.

Huntington High School 4

Posted March 25, 2007
- a former student
I graduated in 2006 and am now going to Marshall University. Overall, I enjoyed going to Huntington High and felt they gave me many different opportunities. I was in the Chamber choir and show choir..and it was so much fun! Great emphasis is put on sports though, so the music and theatre departments doesn't get much money/support. Most of my teachers were very nice and personable. Not a bad school at all.

Huntington High School 4

Posted December 18, 2006
My son is a Junior at HHS and our experience on 'the hill' has been positive! His teachers, counselor, coaches and principal respond to email and voicemail in a timely manner and show genuine concern. Of course, there is a requirement of the student to behave properly and participate appropriately in the classroom and on and off the playing field. The academics far exceed college entry requirements, w/ multiple opportunities to be involved in music, art, sports of all kinds, etc. I find that many parents are present and active at Huntington High! Whether supporting their child, the team or the school in general, we at HHS have a good attendance and turnout for all events, academic OR athletic. I recommend HHS!

Huntington High School
1 Highlander Way, Huntington, WV  25701
Last modified Huntington High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Huntington High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top