No rating

St Francis De Sales Central Catholic School

Private | PK-8 | 400 students

Living in Morgantown

Situated in a small town neighborhood. The median home value is $197,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $710.

Posted October 17, 2013

Awesome! I'm in eight grade and I love it everyone is nice and connected so no one feels left out

Posted August 22, 2013

It is our 5th year with St. Francis and we are very pleased! It's an excellent school that focuses on acedemic excellence and spirituality. Top notch facility and everyone is very pleasant and helpful.

Posted June 27, 2013

School for the wealthy. They do not want students that may bring Terra Nova tests scores down. Current administration has forgotten what school is all about. A few wealthy parents are running school. Main concern is school colors and uniform policy. Attendance is down and tuition is up!

Posted June 2, 2013

My child just finished kindergarten. He learned to read and is doing well with math skills. His teacher was very creative and turned learning to count money in to a social studies lesson by learning the presidents and locations on the coins. He had a great year and we are very appreciative of the loving environment.

Posted May 17, 2013

My daughter attended St. Francis for 9 years. She was thoroughly prepared for the academic rigors of high school. The school has a strong curriculum, in a very structured environment.

Posted January 8, 2013

This school is a mixed bag. If you get the right teacher, it can be a wonderful place. Unfortunately, most of the wonderful teachers are in the middle school. Many of the teachers (especially in the elementary school) are cruel and adhere to old-fashioned forms of discipline. For example, some teachers scream when they lose control of the classroom. Others over discipline. My then 6-year old child was disciplined almost daily with "minus five minutes of recess time" for thinks like crumpling up paper before throwing it into the trash bin instead of just throwing it "not crumpled" in the trash bin. After five years of promises that things will get better I sent my child to MLA. She reports that she "no longer watches the clock waiting for school to end." If I had to do it over again, I would have started my child in public school or MLA. I give parent involvement two-stars (below-average) b/c the parents are overly involved. I agree with the teacher in a recent post--the parents run the school and think that b/c they are financially well-off they can dictate educational programming. This is not my brand of Christianity. I believe more in an inclusive and kind environment.

Posted August 12, 2012

One star is too much for this school. The parents run the school, not the teachers/administrators.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 3, 2012

My children have attended St. Francis for the past 6 years after moving to Morgantown. They have received a superior education within a kind, loving, Christian environment. As they are approaching high school, they are well prepared. In addition to strong academics, my children have learned the values of service and leadership by teachers who have encouraged them to be their best in every way. I couldn't have made any better choice for a strong foundation through middle school.

Posted September 3, 2011

As the parent of a new kindergarten student, I love the creative approach being used to introduce new concepts. The kindness and compassion shown towards my child is comforting during this transition in our family. I am glad they have already introduced the concept of site words. The children of my friends in other local schools will not start that for months.

Posted September 3, 2011

The new administration has made some significant changes for the better. He has hired teachers with advanced degrees in education replacing older teachers who have not kept up with modern educational practices. He has eliminated the bullying towards new teachers by senior faculty. Overall many, many positive changes. The change in leadership has been very progressive.

Posted January 13, 2010

This school is typical it has the very same issues as public school. The claims of better education are unfounded. The students are a select group whose parents would ensure their success no matter where they went to school. Respect and christian behavior is very one sided at this school.

Posted April 5, 2009

This school is not your typical school, yes it has it's many flaws, but doesn't every school? I've spent a total of 8 years of my life attending this school, and even though most of the time I have complained myself, but by the time I reached the seventh grade, I realized how far I've come not only in knowledge, but I learned more about myself, my religion, and what really matters in my life. So it's one of those schools you have to put something into it, to finally reach the meaning of why you were there. My life, as far back as I can remember, I have been at St. Francis, by now the teachers and faculty are more than my superiors, but my family away from home. They have been there for everyone, and I would never want to leave.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 9, 2009

I think that this school is amazing. The teachers genuinely want to be there and care about the students. The expectations are high for both students and paents. This is one of the few schools where students are not constantly assessesd or taught to the test. The students are actually taught what they need to be taught. Like any school with diverse personalities, there are minor annoyances. However, these do nt compare to he issues facing public school St. Francis provides an excellent education and a great learning, nuturing atmosphere.

Posted November 5, 2008

I sent my child here for 6 years because I thought it was the best; I made a huge mistake. My child is a 4.0 student with no behavioral problems. Yet he will most likely never forgive me for sending him here for as long as I did. If this school provided the best education in this community, I would set personal disgust aside and advise parents to put up with the wannabe parents, unhappy teachers and cruel administrators. However, it is mediocre at best. St. Francis outwardly promotes wonderful Christian principles. But behind closed classroom doors, they are anything but Christian. Intelligent children quickly learn the teachers & administration do not practice what they preach. Upon my child's exit of St. Francis, I quickly discovered that the public school was superior -across the board-. Choose wisely caring parents!

Posted February 28, 2007

The school is a nice, and very very safe. I'm a 5th grader there. I think the teachers are nice, but the uniforms bug me. There is almost no freedom offered to the kids. I need more idependance. My advice to you is to go for Pre-K through 5th grade. There are also just about no after school activities.
—Submitted by a student

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

41 Guthrie Ln