Collins Middle School

Public | 5-8

Posted July 21, 2014

This school is by far the worse school is Fayette County. If you have a choice or chance to send your child elsewhere I would definitely do so. There is so much bullying, and the administration could careless. They tell you they will work on it, but they do nothing. Rather than deal with bullying, they prefer to slap the wrist of the accused and send them on their way, and even worse, they punish the bullied children. If i could give this school a -5 I would.

Posted November 6, 2013

As a current student, I have to say that this school is one of the worst in Fayette County. The staff and administration pay 0 attention to any bullying, and most of the curriculum is embarrassing and easy (even a teacher I'm currently a student of said it is!) Also, fights don't get broken up until there's serious injuries, I saw and tried to stop a fight that was lasting for around 10 minutes, staff was notified and didn't care. One time, also, a kid got beat up right infront of a teacher and the teacher LAUGHED!

Posted March 13, 2013

This school is by far the worse school is Fayette County. If you have a choice or chance to send your child elsewhere I would definitely do so. There is so much bullying, and the administration could careless. They tell you they will work on it, but they do nothing. The teachers have their favorites, and the curriculm is ridiculous. Your child will definitely not learn anything at this school. Take it from me, a parent of a child that has been there for 4 years. If I had the money my child would be at a private school. Worst experience of both our lives! Good Luck!

Posted January 17, 2013

I am an ex-student of Collins Middle School. Collins is the worst school I have ever been to. When I was enrolled there, the bullying was so bad I became suicidal. I am now a fully-grown adult and I still struggle with the social fears ingrained in me from this school. My younger cousin is attending Collins right now, and he has yet to come home without injuries from physical confrontations with bullies. The faculty do no care for their students. While there are several decent teachers at Collins, the majority of teachers and staff have nothing but apathy for the problems students face. Rather than deal with bullying, they prefer to slap the wrist of the accused and send them on their way, and even worse, they punish the bullied children just as harshly as those who attacked them. This school is so overwhelmingly negative that my parents eventually pulled me out of it and enrolled me in a private academy as my grades and well-being were deteriorating. As a parent or guardian, you will be better off home-schooling your children, or even moving somewhere else, than you would be enrolling your child in Collins Middle School. This is a nightmare of a place.

Posted August 17, 2012

As a former student and now parent, I regrettably am going to be starting my child in 5th grade here. As much as I don't want to do it, with work and circumstances its just my only current option. As a former student and reading reviews, listening to other parents, and other resources its sad to see that in 15 years the schools biggest problems are still there. The principals offer equality to everyone. If you're bullied you are merely pampered and put to the side. If you are a bully, then you are slapped on the wrist with lunch detention or something smaller. If you finally defend yourself then you are just as much in fault as the person who's been picking on you. Even though the problem has been brought to the attention of principals and staff, its not looked at as a problem until it becomes physical. I think the parents need to take more community action and skip the process of going through the staff. It's obvious that doesn't work, seeing the same issues have been there since 95'

Posted February 18, 2012

I'm an 8th grade student at this school and I have to say, it is terrible. I'm constantly being bullied by other students at this school. Bullying is a big problem here. There are fights every day, but that is recently being curbed by them stationing a security officer at the school. The teachers are okay, depending on who you have. Some, I think, are so old that they should be forced into retirement. They've just become incompetent over the years. The male assistant principal is such a snob, he doesn't do anything to help the students or parents. When a student gets attacked by a bully, he gives the victim just as much punishment as the bully, even if they didn't fight back. The female assistant principal is the only one who cares. The merger between Mt. Hope middle school students has just elevated the bullying problem, as there are more students to look after. The academics aren't horrible, but we need more extra-curricular activities other than sports.

Posted August 25, 2011

The attitude of the staff at this school is rude. As fa as special education, don't bother, all they want to do is medicate your children. Even after several doctors do not agree. The progress in my child learning is no where near what it was when he was in elementary school. bullying is also a big problem at this school. And instead of addressing that, the go after the victims for truancy who miss school due to fear or medical problems caused by the bullying.

Posted December 3, 2010

This school has the worst male principals I've ever encountered in my ENTIRE life. They are totally unwilling to cooperate with anything and everything any suggestions you have especially on bullying problems seems to go in one ear and out the other. parent teacher conferences do nothing. You might as well not even have them because they blame the parents all of the time because the teachers are always so "innocent" NOT !!!!!!!!! My child has been bullied since he has gone to this school for 4 years and they have done NOTHING about it! DO NOT send your child to this school! You WILL regret it. Children don't learn ANYTHING there, they don't even know how to spell simple four or three letter words. The school is so poor. The assistant principal has a bad attitude toward EVERYONE! He is such a snob; Many parents complain about his snotty attitude.

Posted November 29, 2010

The principal has a poor attitude toward students, parents, and staff. He is very curt, has a snobbish air about him, and seems very unapproachable. The school issues no notices to parents about parent/teacher conferences, school dances (ex. we were notified,on Monday, that the school dance was scheduled for Friday), or even a lunch menu. The students have been told to go online to download the school lunch menu. What are students to do who don't have home internet access? In general, communication is poor, the whole fayette county school academics is poor, the facilities are in terrible need of repair, there are hardly no after school programs, except tutoring, which has little success ,from our experience.

Posted October 7, 2009

My problem with CMS is this: My child started out the school year with all bad grades, i cant help him becuse the county cant afford books for every child, yet they want to pass another school bond! I ask his teacher 2 weeks ago for a history book to keep at home so we can study, i have yet to see this book. Like you all say, how can we help our children if we have no clue what is going on?

Posted October 3, 2009

another school year is here, and again I am back on the subject of communication with this school...my child never knows when anything is going on. Us as parents need to know what activities are going on in out childerns school, how can we be more involved if we never know what is happening. How had could it be to have a calander with what is happening, games, when sign up for clubs or activies are..do they not know or do they just want to keep it to themselfs...My theory is don't come crying to us parents if you need volunteers if we don;t know what to volunteer for !!!!!!!!!!

Posted May 11, 2009

This school is not a very good school. There needs to be more clubs, after school, tudors, and more extracurricular activities. I dont think our school is getting as good qualities as bigger school in bigger state like Texas or Florida, just because we are a small state and town doesnt mean we get a bad school. I have lots opinons and ideas.. But I cant tell them all right now. But we need a better school, I know I experience it by going to school here.

Posted April 22, 2009

In Collins defense, we are currently working on several anti-bullying programs. We have a lot of students and it is sometimes hard to keep track of them all, but if a teacher sees it they will put a stop to it. Our counselor feels very strongl about anti-bullying and also tries to put a stop to it. I don't know what teacher your child has, but all of the teachers here are very dedicated and love what they do. if your child asks, the teachers are always happy to spend any one-on-one time with them to improve their skills.

Posted March 30, 2009

This school has a terrible bullying problem, and sometimes innocent kids get in as much trouble as the attacker. There is inadequate supervision on the playground, which is where alot of problems start. My child doesn't feel safe, doesn't trust the assistant principal and is bullied DAILY.

Posted March 25, 2009

Well my daughter just started this year and i am very unimpressed myself my daughter was an a student until she started here ive talked with the teachers regarding her grades and to be honest they didnt seem too concerned as a former student at this school i am greatly saddened by this my teachers were always sending notes home if i was doing bad in class i had teachers threaten to remove me from my sports activities if i didint improve i never know when any of the tryouts are for sports this school i think is lost right now and needs to seriously find its way back the school and the parents need to be more involved with one antother

Posted January 1, 2009

This school has the worst bullying problem i've ever seen! I have told the authorities and they won't do anything about it! I hate this school!

Posted September 3, 2008

This school has the worst communication of any organization that I have ever encountered in my life. I have left many messages with the school with no phone calls returned. My son had received a C in art the last period of the school year. I called the school and left various messages that I needed to speak with the art teacher or the principal regarding the C grade and never received a call back. The kids completely disrespect the teachers and with no consequences to their actions. As a parent, I never knew what type of activities were going on in the school (sports tryouts, meetings, dances, etc.). Again not poor communication but no communication. If you are moving to the oak hill area, send your kids to Fayetteville or a private school. The Elementary schools in oak hill are great, but after that, the bar is low for all.

Posted January 16, 2008

I don't know what teachers you're children have, but I recently attended this school, and I absolutely loved it. Teachers will prvide one-on-one time with any student, so long as they ask for it.

Posted September 13, 2007

CMS is the best school ever is has gone uphill in the past 3 years and will keep going uphill from here!

Posted April 16, 2007

This school has went down hill the past 10 years and I really feel that it will keep going down hill till the state steps in and does something about it

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2012.

184 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 51% in 2012.

184 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

182 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

182 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2011-2012 West Virginia used the West Virginia Educational Standards Test 2 (WESTEST 2) to test students in grades 3 through 11 in reading, math and social studies, and grades 3 through 9 in science. The WESTEST 2 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of West Virginia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 48% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 51% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

220 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 51% in 2012.

194 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2012.

194 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 45% in 2012.

188 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 40% in 2012.

188 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 42% in 2012.

204 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 48% in 2012.

204 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 47% in 2012.

202 students were tested at this school in 2012.

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

203 students were tested at this school in 2012.

All Students26%

Title I23%
Students with disabilities8%
Students without disabilities24%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the West Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students30%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 63%N/A53%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

601 Jones Ave