Posted July 21, 2014
This school is by far the worse school is Fayette County. If you have a choice or chance to send your child elsewhere I would definitely do so. There is so much bullying, and the administration could careless. They tell you they will work on it, but they do nothing. Rather than deal with bullying, they prefer to slap the wrist of the accused and send them on their way, and even worse, they punish the bullied children. If i could give this school a -5 I would.

Posted November 06, 2013
As a current student, I have to say that this school is one of the worst in Fayette County. The staff and administration pay 0 attention to any bullying, and most of the curriculum is embarrassing and easy (even a teacher I'm currently a student of said it is!) Also, fights don't get broken up until there's serious injuries, I saw and tried to stop a fight that was lasting for around 10 minutes, staff was notified and didn't care. One time, also, a kid got beat up right infront of a teacher and the teacher LAUGHED!

Posted March 13, 2013
This school is by far the worse school is Fayette County. If you have a choice or chance to send your child elsewhere I would definitely do so. There is so much bullying, and the administration could careless. They tell you they will work on it, but they do nothing. The teachers have their favorites, and the curriculm is ridiculous. Your child will definitely not learn anything at this school. Take it from me, a parent of a child that has been there for 4 years. If I had the money my child would be at a private school. Worst experience of both our lives! Good Luck!

Posted January 17, 2013
I am an ex-student of Collins Middle School. Collins is the worst school I have ever been to. When I was enrolled there, the bullying was so bad I became suicidal. I am now a fully-grown adult and I still struggle with the social fears ingrained in me from this school. My younger cousin is attending Collins right now, and he has yet to come home without injuries from physical confrontations with bullies. The faculty do no care for their students. While there are several decent teachers at Collins, the majority of teachers and staff have nothing but apathy for the problems students face. Rather than deal with bullying, they prefer to slap the wrist of the accused and send them on their way, and even worse, they punish the bullied children just as harshly as those who attacked them. This school is so overwhelmingly negative that my parents eventually pulled me out of it and enrolled me in a private academy as my grades and well-being were deteriorating. As a parent or guardian, you will be better off home-schooling your children, or even moving somewhere else, than you would be enrolling your child in Collins Middle School. This is a nightmare of a place.

Posted August 17, 2012
As a former student and now parent, I regrettably am going to be starting my child in 5th grade here. As much as I don't want to do it, with work and circumstances its just my only current option. As a former student and reading reviews, listening to other parents, and other resources its sad to see that in 15 years the schools biggest problems are still there. The principals offer equality to everyone. If you're bullied you are merely pampered and put to the side. If you are a bully, then you are slapped on the wrist with lunch detention or something smaller. If you finally defend yourself then you are just as much in fault as the person who's been picking on you. Even though the problem has been brought to the attention of principals and staff, its not looked at as a problem until it becomes physical. I think the parents need to take more community action and skip the process of going through the staff. It's obvious that doesn't work, seeing the same issues have been there since 95'

Collins Middle School 2

Posted February 18, 2012
I'm an 8th grade student at this school and I have to say, it is terrible. I'm constantly being bullied by other students at this school. Bullying is a big problem here. There are fights every day, but that is recently being curbed by them stationing a security officer at the school. The teachers are okay, depending on who you have. Some, I think, are so old that they should be forced into retirement. They've just become incompetent over the years. The male assistant principal is such a snob, he doesn't do anything to help the students or parents. When a student gets attacked by a bully, he gives the victim just as much punishment as the bully, even if they didn't fight back. The female assistant principal is the only one who cares. The merger between Mt. Hope middle school students has just elevated the bullying problem, as there are more students to look after. The academics aren't horrible, but we need more extra-curricular activities other than sports.

Posted August 25, 2011
The attitude of the staff at this school is rude. As fa as special education, don't bother, all they want to do is medicate your children. Even after several doctors do not agree. The progress in my child learning is no where near what it was when he was in elementary school. bullying is also a big problem at this school. And instead of addressing that, the go after the victims for truancy who miss school due to fear or medical problems caused by the bullying.

Posted December 03, 2010
This school has the worst male principals I've ever encountered in my ENTIRE life. They are totally unwilling to cooperate with anything and everything any suggestions you have especially on bullying problems seems to go in one ear and out the other. parent teacher conferences do nothing. You might as well not even have them because they blame the parents all of the time because the teachers are always so "innocent" NOT !!!!!!!!! My child has been bullied since he has gone to this school for 4 years and they have done NOTHING about it! DO NOT send your child to this school! You WILL regret it. Children don't learn ANYTHING there, they don't even know how to spell simple four or three letter words. The school is so poor. The assistant principal has a bad attitude toward EVERYONE! He is such a snob; Many parents complain about his snotty attitude.

Collins Middle School 2

Posted November 29, 2010
The principal has a poor attitude toward students, parents, and staff. He is very curt, has a snobbish air about him, and seems very unapproachable. The school issues no notices to parents about parent/teacher conferences, school dances (ex. we were notified,on Monday, that the school dance was scheduled for Friday), or even a lunch menu. The students have been told to go online to download the school lunch menu. What are students to do who don't have home internet access? In general, communication is poor, the whole fayette county school academics is poor, the facilities are in terrible need of repair, there are hardly no after school programs, except tutoring, which has little success ,from our experience.

Collins Middle School 0

Posted October 07, 2009
My problem with CMS is this: My child started out the school year with all bad grades, i cant help him becuse the county cant afford books for every child, yet they want to pass another school bond! I ask his teacher 2 weeks ago for a history book to keep at home so we can study, i have yet to see this book. Like you all say, how can we help our children if we have no clue what is going on?

Collins Middle School
601 Jones Ave, Oak Hill, WV  25901
Last modified Collins Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Collins Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 30 reviews. Top