Bad
Good

Some of the teachers at OHHS care and really teach their classes, but many don't. Plus budget cuts as far as education goes in West Virginia have put a huge strain on Fayette County schools in the midst of all their trouble with Collins Middle and other schools with insufficient buildings.

Oak hill high school is a bad school! Period I went there my stepson goes there and it's really bad staffed and the teachers give no homework so the child can come home and learn more not to mention the work they give is at a 6 grade level for ten graders

I'm a former student of OHHS. This school isn't the worst school in the county... by virtue of Collins Middle School existing. OHHS is a school with a lot of problems. Their academic courses aren't the worst, but they are rather weak. My cousin is attending there currently, and she's told me that things have deteriorated rapidly since the merger with Mount Hope High School. Many classrooms don't have enough books to go around, buses are overcrowded to the point of being a safety hazard, and the fights are both prevalent and vicious. In my time at OHHS, I was bullied, harassed by the assistant principal, and I learned very little. Eventually I was removed from the school and homebound due to the continual harassment from this principal and my grades dropping to nothing. There were some good teachers at OHHS, but many of them have retired or left since the merger, and the quality of education is declining. OHHS does have some decent extracurricular activities for sports-oriented students, but depending on your counselor you may not get the chance to join them; the counselors can be notoriously unwilling to work with students. Overall, OHHS is a flawed school that really needs help.

This school has problems with bullying. And their policy for it is not enforced. And in an effort to reduce drop outs, they are punishing the victims of bullying for missing days due to fear or medical problems caused by the bullying. The victims of these circumstances are sent to court for truancy, and nothing done to the bullies. It's wrong! A bully who stabs a kid in the back during class with a pencil get three days suspension. I'm sure that taught him something! And when you talk to school staff and the school board they will NOT address it! They also need better teachers, the students are not learning all that they could be. And I don't see it getting any better only worse. It's sad.

Today was the first day of the 09-10 school year. The whole school was in chaos. Around a 100 students did not have a schedule including me. And still do not have one. The buses are overpacked people are setting in the floor. Everything is in total chaos

Upon my recent encounter with this website I am generally concered about comments made by students from this post. OHHS is not the worst school by far, but it is below avg. on the most importmant aspect of all. Your childrens overall education and their readiness to college level courses. I have interview several graduates from this school that are now freshmen in college, and they will tell you they were not prepared for this level of learning. Childern these days lack the most important components to success--independent learning skills, and motivation. I do not hold the teachers or the students a fault here, kids will only do what they are told to! I hold all the problems with 'No Child Left Behind' act or (aka...NO Child gets ahead)! This way of teaching is selling out our nations education to the Alminghty dollar!

EdLine for our son is still on last year's. My husband and I would really like to have weekly progress on his workload / test results, from all his teachers and I . This weekly goal of being informed is a goal of his parents. I will say it is mandatory to attend Parent Teacher Conferences. These two times a year speaks 'Parent's Care' and we as parents want to be informed. Without them we would not know, at all, what is happening with our sons education because there is no communication, (except possible first day rules and consequences from some teachers) ,with teacher, parent, and student. My rating could go higher if homework were given nightly and higher level thinking skills implimented 24/7.

I am a student at Oak Hill High school in fact i'm in School RIGHT NOW!, and I looked this up on account of a project. I know that OHHS has problems but it is a great school and we have great techers. I come here on a daily basis and I see a lot of what goes on and most of the time the students are happy. Sure there are some things I would like to change but I firmly believe that it is one of the best schools in the state of West Virginia. And no offense but just because some parents don't like something, it doesnt mean it is a bad school because to be honest with you its not the parents going to school. We are also getting a good education and in fact this past year we had some of the highest math scores ever.

Although I believe it is sweet that this school still has advocates after its recent decline, you can not over look the bitter truth of the matter. Oak Hill High School is rapidly declining. Teacher quality is extremely poor and many of the programs that the school offers leaves you unprepared for any type of higher education. The schools cleanliness is pitiful. Although I love the school and would hate to see it go, there are somethings more important than sustaining your alma-mater, such as the education of our children.

Last modified Oak Hill High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.