Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

I' m a mom of 3 Driswood students. I recieve letters about volunteering all the time. I sat my children down after reading other reviews to ask my children if they are afraid and they said no. They told me that the lights in the cafeteria are only turned off when they are being very loud. I also asked them do they feel comfortable telling teachers and staff about bullying they said yes and its dealt with promptly. They told me they love their teachers and I have daily communication with their teachers through their agendas or phone calls. We are on the same page with things that we both need support with from each other. Which means alot to me since I have 2 autistic children. Since going to Driswood my daughter Heidi can read and write and Edward can count and write. They are also excited to go to school everyday. Jordan my oldest is gifted and at her other school the work was too easy. She now has the work she needs to challenge her and she is not bored.I remember their first day coming home from Driswood they said mom they give us good food and chocolate milk. They were so excited about chocolate milk and the amount of food.Their last school was completely different. My son had to be sent to another school and felt isolated from his friends. But now he can go to the same school as his sisters go to. Plus they are prompt to address issues or medical needs of my children. I have even had the nurse give me great reccomendations for eye doctors to address my daughters visual needs.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers are very good at their job. I have only exprienced great communication with them. I even discuss issues Im having at home with the kiddos and the teachers are always good with suggestions or resources that I can use to address the issues Im having.

Amount of homework: Agree

They give the right amount of homework to keep the information in their minds but to the point where my children become frushtrated.

Develops character: Agree

They care about the childrens well being and always address concerns promptly and help with resources that may be needed.

I can't complain at all about the teachers at this school. The teachers are awesome and work great with the students! The administration however is another thing. The principle at this school is extremely rude, and so is the office staff, not to mention the schools iep coordinator. They have major attitudes all the time. I truly feel they are only in it for the money not the right reasons!!! I'm very disappointed, its like parents with questions are overwhelming them. You walk into the school and its like your bothering them. The school board needs a huge change with the administration staff at Driswood elementary!! Get some people in there that actually care!

The teachers are awesome at this school however, the administration and office staff are very rude! When you walk into the school its like your bothering them. Communication at this school is like pulling teeth. Parent involvement needs to happen more!

New School with bells and whistles, but....... Details to come out later in time. Keep

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Terrible school. Just look at teacher turn over rate. This should tell you even they don't want to be a part of this school.

The school is more interested in bureaucracy than in nurturing and teaching. I reported a bullying incident and was told that my daughter had to learn to "stick up for herself." Nothing was done at the classroom level after multiple attempts to resolve it with the teacher. Her response was simply that she had "too many children to keep track of them 100% of the time." For someone who suggests self-advocacy and accountability, she doesn't take her own advice. This is just one sample. Classroom management is not something many of the teachers do well. Boys are treated differently than girls (negatively so). For example, If boys talk "red reminder," shaming discipline, and trips to the principal ensue. If the girls talk its becomes "pay attention girls". Common sense has gone out the window where parents are known to the administration, who can see them, but will not let them in until they flash their driver's license at a tiny camera. This, despite the fact they called you by name on the intercom to greet you. This school is run more like a prison institution/Nurse Ratchett style, than a learning environment. So happy my kids are in Harpers Ferry Middle School now.

The teachers, administrators, staff and volunteers at this school genuinely care about the students. Driswood provides an encouraging atmosphere that gets the children excited about learning. Teachers are kind and patient, adapting their lesson speeds to the class. They encourage parent participation, (field trips, book fairs, PTO, fundraisers, performance volunteers, classroom demonstration volunteers. There is regular communication to parents from teachers in regards to how the week went and what children will be doing the following week. Teachers are professional, uplifting, and engaging. If you are looking for a great Elementary School, Driswood Elementary is it!

Last modified Driswood Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.