Shenandoah Junction, WV
Students enrolled: 1,321

Jefferson High School 3

Posted July 12, 2015
Some teachers are phenomenal! I met some of the best teachers I've had at Jefferson. On the other hand, the students there are an exception unfortunately. My time at Jefferson we had a bomb squad search the school twice, dogs search for drugs in the halways monthly, and many fights. The school is drug infested and the students there focus a lot on being.."popular"??? However, sports are really big at Jefferson and as a player of many I found the coaches to not be good at coaching but playing "buddy-buddy" all the time with favorited athletes...let me just reiterate that this is only SOME coaches that are like this. If your child plans to do band then Jefferson is the place...BEST BAND I'VE EVER HEARD...they will be in for a treat -Recently a student at Jefferson High

Jefferson High School 5

Posted November 02, 2009
I was a student at Jefferson High School I personally love this school. Learning is that main focus they offer lots of extra-curricular and sports I love this school beacause its the best it makes you feel like you are at hime

Jefferson High School 4

Posted August 28, 2008
As a teacher at Jefferson for the last eight years, I am proud to say that Jefferson will become the best high school in West Virginia. The 2008-2009 year forcasts to be the best year ever with all the renovations completed , the population reduced and the addition of ninth graders. Academics and classroom environment are becoming the focus. The teaching staff is the best ever with a 30% turnover; most of the deadwood has been removed; the administration is on top of everything that is important, from safety to community service. If a student wants to learn, Jefferson offers every opportunity with all the fringe benefits of a public school social atmosphere. (I will have to say though, that it is unfortunate that not enough students took advantage of their opportunity to take my SQL, JAVA, or C++ courses this year.) Bill Lukens, Mathematics and Web Page Design Teacher

Posted February 10, 2008
Yes they are renovating it but the hallways are still packed even with the new addition and the violence in the school is terrible

Jefferson High School 5

Posted February 09, 2008
Jefferson high school is a great school we all know is overcrowded but in the fall of 2008 this probelm will be fix with the grand opening of Washigton high home of the Pratiots. Jefferson high school offers lots of extra-curriculums.

Jefferson High School

Posted August 03, 2007
Both of my children go to this school, I'm sad to say. The school is disorganized, full of incompetent teachers, staff, and administration. It is overcrowded and no one cares if your child passes or fails. No one abides by the regulations in the student/parent handbook and I have yet to see what is done with the mass amounts of bullies in the system. I do not recommend sending your child to this school. If you are able, send your child out of state or to a private school.

Posted March 25, 2007
My son entered JHS as a Freshman. We are now planning for his Senior year which will begin in the Fall of '07. Terribly disorganized school on many levels. With 40,000 plus tax-payers in the county who help fund it, it is disgraceful.

Posted September 12, 2006
This school is overcrowded, unorganized, and chaotic. Not recommended if looking for a good education.

Jefferson High School 4

Posted June 03, 2006
As a young teacher at Jefferson High School, I have had a very positive experience. JHS often draws unwarranted criticism, but I am continually impressed by the number of teachers I see who arrive early every day, grade papers tirelessly into the night, and take great pride in the achievements of our students. As a large school, our resources are often strained. However, with our large population base, a unique variety of opportunities becomes available to students who desire to be challenged academically. I put our students who choose to enroll in our AP and Honors level courses on par with any college-bound students anywhere. Parents who are concerned about the quality of education their children are receiving should seek out the most challenging classes and programs that are available at JHS. You will find a number of teachers who are motivated more by the achievements of students than by paychecks.

Jefferson High School 3

Posted March 13, 2006
As a 2003 graduate, I have to say this high school is definitely not the worst school to go to, but it is far from the best. It is definitely overcrowded, majority of teachers don't have the compassion needed to teach students, nor are a majority of them willing to reach out and help those students who need it. The few teachers I can name as exceptional are limited to Mr. Fincham & Mr. Canterbury (agriculture teachers) and Ms. Knott (10th grade history). Though rest assured, there are other good teachers there. Just not many. And we are losing too many of our great teachers. I know Mr. Canterbury left to go to Ripley spring of 2004. Not only are they not getting paide enough, but they're not getting the respect they deserve either. I'm proud to be a JHS graduate, but mainly because of my few great teachers.

Jefferson High School
4141 Flowing Springs Rd, Shenandoah Junction, WV  25442
Last modified Jefferson High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jefferson High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews. Top