Sophia, WV

Independence Middle School 4

Posted August 16, 2013
My school is totally focused on every aspect of growning preteen students. It focus's not only on education, but also on manners, respect, authority, pride in the school and themselves. We are busy making our education at Independence Middle School better one more challenging one student at a time. The curriculum could be a bit more challenging and demanding of students. The extra-curricular activities need to be expanded as well. Maybe bringing back flag girls and majorettes to band or dance. There need to be more activities for boys as well considering our state is one of the highest percentage of obese children. The faculity is continously learning as well as student and most parents seem committed to their childs education and social needs. The new incentive plan for the year 2013-14 for every 3 weeks of good behavior and excellent grades makes my heart happy knowing my son is a part of Indepenence Middle School.

Independence Middle School 1

Posted August 16, 2012
I went to this school when I was a kid and thought that I wanted my children to go there because it would be a better environment than the inner city schools. I was mistaken. This school has really changed since I was there. The teachers are only there to get a pay check. Bullying is horrible there mostly among the girls. Classic case of students who are athletes are respected and cut slack and those that need attention more are cast aside.There is no homework...what kind of school has no homework? The principals there have no authority the kids truly run the school and when issues of discipline arise the vice principal applies the same punishment to all involved regardless of their role. She just doesn't want to work through the issue. Let's just suspend them and put them out of school for a week which is why some of the fights out there, and there are a lot, start in the first place. I wouldn't suggest anyone put their child in this school if they truly want them to be educated and successful. If I could give less than 1 star I would.

Independence Middle School 1

Posted December 10, 2010
I think all kids would love to go to this school. the teachers never give homework and during classes, they get to sit and watch movies all day long.( What can they learn from movies and how are they going to pass high school with no education?) The office there is a joke. They do not know how to interact with the parents. They lose information and blame it on you. You do what you can to help your child move on in the world and they do not help in the least. I would rather take my kid out then let them fall behind. Once that happens, its hard to catch up. Which they should have to.

Posted May 10, 2010
Independence Middle is a great school. The teachers helped me prepare for high school and they have great methods to help you learn easier and remember what their actually teaching you.

Posted August 24, 2009
I don't like the fact that Mr. Poe does not allow the teachers to give homework. The students have no homework all through middle school, and then are expected to start doing it in high school. By the time they spend 3 years doing no homework, most of the students do not know how to do homework, then they go to college and have no base to work from.

Independence Middle School 5

Posted April 24, 2003
Mr. Poe works his hardest at making sure the students work to their best ability and has fun while doing so. He has pep rallys and in school games and all kinds of great activities. My daughter did great at that school and loved it.

800 Independence Rd, Sophia, WV  25921
Last modified Independence Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Independence Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top