Andrews Heights Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 322 students

Posted October 12, 2010

I expect a graduate of an elementary school to be able to conjugate a sentence with a subject and verb that agree. I expect a graduate to have the ability to count change. I expect a graduate to be able to tell time. I expect a graduate to have a rudimentary knowledge of geography. I expect so very little of a graduate of an elementary school. Tragically, this school fails to meet my expectations with stunning consistency.

Posted October 3, 2010

All three of my children have went to Andrews Heights. My youngest is now in 3rd grade. I have had nothing but positive experiences there. If there has ever been issues we meaning myself, teacher and principal have worked together to fix the issue. The building(s) are because the county has not spent the money to add on. Not the schools. My children have received an excellent education there. I love this school.

Posted September 25, 2010

I've actually seen wonderful schools and Andrews Heights isn't one of them. We've lived in three states since my children began school several years ago and have had excellent experiences everywhere but here. I've never seen another school with "water bugs" that look like giant cockroaches. I've never enrolled my children in another school where a house trailer qualified as a classroom. I've never seen another school where a student takes his life in his hands to walk along the street in front of the school. I've never seen students required to use such shabby textbooks. I've seen a great many things since my child was enrolled at this school and none of them laid a positive foundation for his future.

Posted September 12, 2010

My child has attended Andrews Heights for two years. We have had a WONDERFUL experience here. The principal and teachers are so caring! They have high expectations for student achievement. I don't understand some of the other reviews that I have read downing this school. I'm afraid that our school is getting a bad review because they have had "run-ins" with the teachers and principal over discipline problems involving their kids. I'm glad that our school has a zero tolerance for disruptive children! My child should not suffer academically because your child has had no Home-Training on how to behave!

Posted May 5, 2010

disappointed at the results. Not a school for kids to attend that want one on one help

Posted May 5, 2010

the quality of education at Andrews Heights poor. No involvement like what my children enjoyed at their prior school. I am concerned that my children are at a disadvantaged for substandard education. Need caring teacher that want to help children suceed, not to put children on special programs or meds. Teacher to student ratio needs corrected

Posted May 3, 2010

I love this school but I am concerned about the decline I have seen in the school over the past few years. We have had children in the school for seven years. the numbers are starting to drop academically. This dose worry me and I may think about transporting my baby to a different school if things continue to drop. I also have seen teacher attitudes changes

Posted February 10, 2010

The GreatSchools Rating for this school has fallen from 7 out of 10 to 4 out of 10. This is consistent with the decline that I have seen as a parent. When my older children attended, their experience was fine. More recently, problems have compounded one upon another and getting them addressed by the principal has been an exercise in futility. I am concerned that my younger children will be disadvantaged for life as a result of receiving a substandard education here.

Posted February 2, 2010

I love this school. I have been a volunteer at the school throughout the years that my children have attended. I have seen first hand how the staff really cares about the children. They are very good to work with the parents if a problem arises or if a student has a special set of circumstances. The teachers seem to all get along and work with each other well which makes a peaceful atmosphere for learning. Also, I feel that it is a very safe environment to send my children. There are many programs in place to encourage the kids to do their best. I always speak highly of this school and would recomend it to everyone.

Posted September 8, 2009

Unfortunately, the quality of education at Andrews Heights does not equal what my children enjoyed at their prior school. The faculty, staff and principal tell me that they struggle just to provide a safe educational environment with the financial resources available to them. This is evident in the quality of life my children have as students at this school and in the instruction they receive.

Posted April 7, 2009

My husband and I are pleased with our decision to send our daughter to this school. Though we live 'out of area,' we feel that the extra drive to get her to school is worth while. The teachers and staff members have high expectations of all students both academically and socially. With neices and nephews in public schools across the country, I see where Andrews Heights has higher academic standards than other elementary schools. What an awesome school for any child!

Posted February 12, 2009

It's a small school but that only helps the community to be more involved. My daughter has attended this school for the past 2 years since we moved here from California and I am very pleased with the level of performance and commitment from the staff.

Posted January 19, 2008

We were transferred here from Texas and received a stunning shock that the academic standards of this elementary school are so low.

Posted September 9, 2003

This is a great school. When I attended Andrews Heights it was a nice small town school that taught me the basics of life. Now that my children are attending, it has almost doubled in size. It still maintains that small town closeness and feel that all schools should offer while helping our children develop for the future.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2012.

47 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2012.

47 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 43% in 2012.

46 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 37% in 2012.

46 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2011-2012 West Virginia used the West Virginia Educational Standards Test 2 (WESTEST 2) to test students in grades 3 through 11 in reading, math and social studies, and grades 3 through 9 in science. The WESTEST 2 is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of West Virginia. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 45% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 36% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 35% in 2012.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2012.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 51% in 2012.

Science

The state average for Science was 42% in 2012.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 34% in 2012.

All Students45%

Title I48%
Students with disabilities17%
Students without disabilities59%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the West Virginia Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students60%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 1%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 50%N/A53%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

Coal River Rd