Bad
Good

I find this school exceptional. The staff seems to go that EXTRA mile with these children and the staff seem to be just as involved with the activities as the parents. My child seems to be doing great socially and academically. I often have lunch with her, and always feel welcome when I come through the door!

I find the staff at West Milford friendly and open to parents. I am made to feel welcome whenever I join my child for lunch or request to speak with his fifth grade teacher. My son loves going to school every day! I'm confident they are preparing him for middle school both academically and socially. It is certainly appreciated by THIS parent!

The major issue I have with this school is there is not an open door policy with this school. Its like they do not want you to see what is going on inside the school or want you involved in the daily life of your child's education. You would think that a teacher would want parental involvement. I am not talking daily, but if a parent wanted to volunteer once in a while, come in and read a book, or sit in on a class, this would be permitted. If you plan on going to a Holiday party to be involved with your child on a special day, forget it. You are not important enough. Unless you are in a special click of some kind, you are not welcome. They only let a few parents into the class for class room parties.

We came from a large public school system in MD. For most of their lives my older children attended a private school for a good education and also safety reasons. My younger children started here in kindergarten. This school provides a safe environment. The education is also comparable to what I am used to. It is up to the parents to volunteer and help the children make the most of their school years. This school is always asking for volunteers and always trying to get parents to join the PTA and become active. The only issue I have is the front office staff is not always friendly and helpful - after they buzz you in, you stand there waiting for them to take notice of you.

They need to have more parent involment allowed.

The educational opportunities at West Milford are minimal at best. My child spends way too much time on the bus. I know some children have to be bused once a week to Adamston Elem. for a program that West Milford Elem. does not provide. Teachers only have complaints and never praise. Test scores are more important than a child's well-being. There are too many students per teacher. This school has some really nice teachers, but I think they need more funding. There are really no art or music classes, but are required to have physical activity everyday! There is not enough support for parents or to help them. They leave you hanging!

Last modified West Milford Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.