School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Welcome! My name is Paul Cooney and I am the principal of Edna Ferber Elementary School. I have been working in the Appleton School District since 2008. Ferber is one of 17 elementary schools in the Appleton Area School District. Its doors opened in the fall of 1991 as the district enrollment expanded on the north side of Appleton. Currently, our enrollment is near 600 students in grades kindergarten through sixth grade. When our students leave sixth grade they attend Einstein Middle School and then move on to Appleton North High School. Learning is something that we all do every day. Our students are no different. They want to learn and grow each day. Our job is to help them achieve that growth by providing them with challenging and engaging activities. The students of today are growing up in a society that requires different skills than we needed when we were in school. The Ferber staff works collaboratively to ensure that those skills are being taught. Helping others is an important part on our mission as well. The feeling that you get when you can help someone else is very rewarding. Ferber students work toward this by participating in a variety of programs at their school. These programs include Student Service Club, Peer Mediators, Peer Helpers, Safety Patrol, and Classroom Buddies. Ferber Elementary School continues to have a strong partnership with our community. These partnerships provide our school assistance in programs such as United Reading for Success and Junior Achievement. Two school wide initiatives that are ongoing are our commitment to Educating Healthy Kids and our Bullying Prevention Program. Ferber has a strong PTO that works to enhance the educational experience for students and staff. The PTO plans and assists with events such as a Fine Arts Night, Sock Hop, and Multi-Cultural Night. I am looking forward to a fun and exciting school year. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
December 07, 2015

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Effective school leaders: Disagree

My understanding is he was fired from his last job to a round of applause. It's an easy school to lead but Paul Cooney does not make it better.

Develops character: Disagree

Most come in with good character. There are some good neighborhoods and good parents. Leadership is certainly nothing special.

Amount of homework: Neutral

They have a typical approach to homework. It changes over time. It's like a pendulum. It's a lot and people decide it's too much. Then, it's almost none and people decide they need more, etc.

I have met Paul Cooney a few time and I always walked away feeling his mission was to sound like an expert but he had no idea what he should be an expert on. My best description is if you blew up a big balloon, let it go, and watched it flutter around quickly in random directions and then land. That is Paul Cooney.

Message to families
SCHOOL LEADER
Posted December 07, 2015

Last year I pulled my children out of the nearby charter school and enrolled them at Ferber - best decision of my life!!! The principle, teachers and other staff members are the cream of the crop hear at Ferber. The children not only receive an excellent education but they also have more hands on activities, field trips and other activities that make learning fun. I also appreciate that they encourage good behavior with positive reinforcement. We could not be happier!

We have had 4 children attend Ferber and have been extremely happy with every aspect of the school. The teachers and current principal have been outstanding. We have been especially happy with Ms. Bozile and Ms. Sauer, couldn't expect more from a teacher than what these two have shown!! We have also been very pleased with the supervision that is provided both before and after school and at recess's, we feel very secure in our children's well being! The lone disappointment has been this...we have twin boys in Kindergarten, who because we do not live in the Ferber district had to switch schools between semesters, this happened because of a moving difficulty (the person buying our previous house on a land contract has not been able to, the process has dragged on) so we have not been able to purchase a house in the district. Ultimately, we were very disappointed in the District's decision not to keep our 4 children together, I don't see how that is in the children's best interests regardless of district lines. Understandably rules are rules, however in this case I believe there should have been an exception in this case as we will be moving into the district in the next few months.

Very pleased with Ferber. What a great group of kids and parents. My child has not had a bad teacher yet over 3 years! Great for kids who are overachievers as well.

Ferber is a good school. My kindergartener has done excellent and learned more this year than my 5th grader did when she was in Kindergarten at Jefferson Elementary. He really loves his teacher and will miss her terribly next year.

I am constantly disappointed in Ferber Elementary. My second grade child actually fears his teacher, which is unacceptable. When we spoke to the Principal we were informed a teachers job is Not to make children comfortable. Calls to the school district proved the same. We will not attend the school next year, opting to use a Charter School instead. Also, 10 below zero still allows the children to play outside! The surrounding school districts are much better suited, if moving to Appleton, I would steer clear of Appleton Area Schools. Try Kaukauna, Kimberly or Greenville.

Last modified Ferber Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.