No rating

Rock Prairie Montessori

Private | PK-6 | 120 students

Living in Janesville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $122,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $790.

Posted September 5, 2013

This school is amazing. As a parent, I feel so fortunate that my kids are getting such an incredible start to their early childhood education at this school. The school uses positive guidance to help the kids understand what they are suppose to do rather than what they are not to do. We are so impressed by the teachers, staff and overall classroom programs. We feel this school is the best start possible for our kids. I would highly recommend. In a traditional school the teacher is the center of the class, at this school, the focus is on the need of the individual children. Before my son entered kindergarten at this school he was reading early readers and had been exposed to geography, life sciences, space, planets, various world cultures and languages, geology and more. He understands the solar system, the planets and their relationship with the sun. I could go on and on...I can't say enough about the quality of education my children have received here.

Posted September 4, 2013

I am a parent of two students at Rock Prairie. We have had our kids at the school since 2010. I can't imagine a better environment for learning and growing. The environment is fantastic, the teachers are amazing and consistent, the programs offered are flexible and effective and the staff is helpful and supportive. Our kids love the school and we love the school as parents. The whole school is focused on the needs of the child academically, emotionally, developmentally, physically and individually. The teachers are in tune with different children's needs and adapt easily to meet them. My kids are very different from eachother. They have both excelled at Rock Prairie. The school also teaches kindness, respect and peace. It is a major theme throughout the school. We are so glad our kids have the opportunity to be a part of this wonderful place.

Posted April 16, 2013

I have two children in this school, one in pre-K and the other in the toddler class. RPMS is a wonderful environment both for the children, and our family as a whole. The kids get positive and attentive guidance under which they thrive. The parents get the same (you should see the level of detail in the weekly notes and regular teacher-parent conferences). Together, we've learned along with our children to be supportive, curious and respectful of each other and others. The more we carry the lessons of the school into our home, the better off we are. I'm so sorry to read the 2011 review here, but I certainly can't say that I've experienced anything like this. I've only encountered teachers and staff that are exceptionally caring and supportive. My son, especially, requires it and thankfully he gets it at RPMS, along with a fantastic education. (At 5 he reads, is doing math, and last week gave my wife and I a presentation on the planets, their order, and their individual attributes. Amazing.) If you're interested in this school, go see it in action. That's what sold us when we moved to the area. We've never regretted our decision.

Posted March 29, 2011

I love this school. My son (4) has been going here since he was 2 and has done so well here. He is definitlely a more sensitive kid and they have done a great job with him! We are sadly in a position that we are moving out of the area. And I think that I will miss this school most of all. I only wish that my daughter who is going to be 2 in April could have attended. I couldn't have been happier with my son's teachers and all of the staff!

Posted January 12, 2011

Initially, I perceived my experience with the school positively. We had our 3 children enrolled there for a grand total of three years. The last summer , our feelings were that the school had shifted to the point that our children were no longer thriving. We placed our children in the public school system, and once we had this as a comparison, I would have to say that a huge thing missing from Montessori is nurturing and caring. Everything is based on acedemics, so if you have a sensitive child who thrives on emotional response, this school is not for you. Our 3 children loved our new local school and the teachers there had much more warmth and caring. Another consideration, is the questionable billing practices ...you could easily be over-billed, and most likely will be. Lesson learned...the schools in Wisconsin are excellent, and you are paying for something that is just as good, for free.

Posted September 15, 2008

After 3 years at RPMS we are moving and have to leave. I can think about searching for a new school for my daughter. I have very high standards and nothing seems to compare to this amazing school. Great community, staff and environment. Everyone there cares so much. We will miss this school...

Posted September 15, 2008

I have sent all 4 of my children there. My daughters both attended until they were old enough to switch to public Kindergarten. It is absolutely amazing to see the work that the students are completing. They are not held back by age or what their peers are doing. Children choose their own work under the guidance of the teacher. Children are working on respect, responsablity, consequences and mastering a skill. I love that each child works to his/her potential and completion. None of that group herding found in other schools. The staff are extremely dedicated and caring and the parental involvement is fantastic. Both my daughters started Kindergarten already reading chapter books and are very good students who enjoy learning. They weren't pushed to academics too early, they were just given fun, challenging hands on activities to help them manipulate materials and learn. The only bad part is $$$$

Posted February 21, 2007

Rock Prairie is housed in a state-of-the-art building surrounded by beautiful nature. The classrooms are beautiful. The teachers are loving and warm and eager to help and encourage the children. My son (5) has been very happy there. We drive 1/2 hour to get there, when there are closer Montessori schools. The school community is tight-knit. Extra-curricular activities are great there like yoga and Spanish. In my son's class, they have library, music and creative movement on different days. The children are allowed the freedom to move at their own pace. I really like that nature as well as peace and conflict resolution play a strong role there. I highly recommend this school!

White, not Hispanic 71% 74%
Asian/Pacific Islander 18% 4%
American Indian/Alaskan Native 0% 1%
Asian N/A 4%
Black, not Hispanic 0% 10%
Multiracial 0% 2%
Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander 0% 0%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Teacher aid/assistant teacher
PE instructor(s)
Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 7:20 am
School end time
  • 5:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Martha Carver-Head of School, Linda Maybee-Director of Development and Planning, and Robyn Doege-Brennen-Director of Operations
  • Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • IMC
Fax number
  • (608) 868-5965

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori

• Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Transportation options
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Sports

Performing arts
Media arts

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom