Stephens Elementary School 5

Posted August 05, 2014
Very diverse student body and great teachers and activities throughout the year. I think that over the last two years it has improved.

Posted July 23, 2014
This school has been an amazing experience for myself and my children. The level of parent involvement was so surprising to me. Parents are always welcome and there are many ways they can be involved. The teachers work well together and help to implement many wonderful programs for the children. The full inclusion environment creates a wonderful classroom community for both typical and a typical developing children. I could not be happier with our families experiences at Stephens Elementary School!

Posted July 23, 2014
We are beginning our 5th year at this school. After reading older posts I can tell you that most of the information is old. As with most social media sites, you'll hear from those who are really happy or those who are unhappy and want to make sure everyone knows. I have served on the PTO at this school and volunteer in the classrooms. Families are active and engaged giving of their time and financial resources. PTO provides lots of fun family activities (Movie Night, Science Fair, Spelling Bee) and provides lots of extras for the school. We've had good teachers so far. Work and Learn has not been at this school for over a year. The school has diversity and pulls kids from different subdivisions as well as the walking community. PTO welcomes any questions you may have. See the school website.

Stephens Elementary School 5

Posted July 23, 2014
Not only does the school provide the academic education my children need, my children learn about tolerance, acceptance, community involvement, and how to be a good person. This is accomplished through diversity, role modeling, and parent involvement. My children will not only gain the needed education to be successful, they will be better people for having gone here. There can be hard lessons to learn, but in the long run, their future success will will be credited to the kind of people they are based on the lessons they learned in these early years at Glenn Stevens.

Posted April 02, 2014
Stephens Elementary has been a wonderful environment thus far for my 7 year old son. I was very impressed with his kindergarten teacher and his 1st grade teacher has gone far and above beyond expecations. The diversity in the school is great and I appreciate the programs they implement such as their moving minds program. The principal is not always quick to react to problems but the vice principal seems very on the ball. Overall a great school!

Stephens Elementary School 1

Posted October 31, 2013
This school is a huge disappointment. It's diverse but we have had teachers who are incompetent, unprofessional, and even bully kids and parents. Front desk and lunch staff nice but principals are ineffective and protect the bad teachers and have no respect for parents. We have had to pull our child out because of terrible teachers, not getting help for our child and poor leadership. We did not feel safe having our kid here. Very stressful and sad place, esp. if you are an involved parent.

Stephens Elementary School 3

Posted March 04, 2013
Our children have been attending the school for a few years now. We like the cultural diversity and the above-average intelligence level of many families. All of the teachers we have met have been nothing but great! There have been several situations, however, we felt the principal did not handle the way we would have liked her to. We feel she tries too hard to "please" everyone and doesn't take firm stances. Also, this is one of the 2 elementary schools housing the Work and Learn program, intended to provide second chance for highschool graduation to troubled youth, which is not something we want our children exposed to at that age.

Stephens Elementary School 1

Posted October 30, 2012
Terrible leadership & continuity. If you are looking for a school which honors your parental concerns, this is not the school for you. The administration will say one thing but do another. If you are looking for a clean and safe environment, this is not the school for you. There is a false, insincere "caring" from leadership. I found some of the staff to be manipulative, judgmental and immature. They were more interested in creating drama then in dealing with issues in simple ways. In dealing with some of the staff, there was no communicating, only nodding heads and tuned-out ears. The class sizes are too large for each student to "learn at their own pace" as is promised. On the first day of school I witnessed one child punch another in the face and laugh and no one did anything about it. The teacher was too distracted trying to organize the class. I saw more disciplining going on then learning. The environment is more like a zoo for children then an educational institution. I know a lot of parents who pulled their children out. I wouldn't bother sending them to begin with.

Posted October 21, 2012
Like all schools there is good and bad here. My child has dyslexia and his 1st grade teacher was not the best at acknowledging this problem. But his second grade teacher was a true advocate for him and helped us majorly with getting him an IEP. She made a major difference for our family. I agree that the Work to Learn program should not be situated inside an elementary school. And things that happened earlier this year involving one of those students was disturbing, but overall we have been very happy with our experience and that includes the 2/3 and 4/5 mixed grade classes. As with most schools it is mainly about the teacher and even that what I love you may hate. :) Also, parents are VERY active here and that is worth a ton.

Stephens Elementary School 2

Posted August 04, 2009
The teachers are great ... but the combo grades are not in the best interest of the kids. Someone who just turned seven may be in a class with someone who is just turning nine. This is almost three years difference in age. This range is too much burden on the teachers.

Stephens Elementary School
120 S Rosa Rd, Madison, WI  53705
(608) 204-1900
Last modified Stephens Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Stephens Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top