Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Grateful to: Staff member

Posted July 16, 2016
Mr. Q--Tom Qualls. SEA and Coordinator of several after school programs. THANK YOU! You should be running the school, the way you connect with the students and take the time to understand them and keep them safe.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted July 16, 2016
The "Oh poor us" standard applies. My son was in a classroom of 13 kids, which is a very nice ratio for an elementary school. He was put through hell in his 2nd grade year and NOTHING was done to alleviate the situation. Lazy teachers. Some very good staff but you have to search to find them and hope they will watch out for your kid.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted July 16, 2016
If your child needs to repeat, for the 4th time, the same work sh/e has been doing for 8 hours all day, then it is just right. An absolute lack of enrichment and/or growth activities.

Lake View Elementary School 1

Posted July 16, 2016
I moved my son to this school after a poor academic experience in a previous school, in which he was given an "intervention-level" reading score in order to show progress over time. The previous school had been shown to have poor AYP, and it was advantageous to them to start a student at a low level. I had to fight the district to have him moved to Lake View. Within months, he was being bullied and harassed by two students, in particular. This continued on for another year and a half. Last year, I picked him up after work and he had rings around his neck from being choked by a student. He was kicked, pushed, and punched during his time at the school. I had to quit several jobs because the anxiety of his experiences caused severe abdominal pains which were psychosomatic. DeI spite multiple emails and phone calls to the school administration and the school district, nothing was done. In May of 2016 my son revealed that the same bullies had been spreading a rumor around school that I was not his mother because I have dark skin and he has light skin. I withdrew him from the school and the district the same day, and a month later filed a federal complaint. I have yet to hear back from the OCR office headquartered in Chicago. My son is now in therapy due to the trauma he suffered in his district, and I have promised him he will never have to go to school in this city again. When I asked for all of his files, I received only a small portion of them. The district administration is happy to disenfranchise any student or family that puts up a modicum of opposition to their draconian policies. As I said to the Head Office, " My son is one of those kids who brings up your average test scores, and yet you treat him like garbage." This city has mistakenly earned a great reputation for excellent public education. The reality is far different. I have worked in education for 15 years and never been so disgusted. The worst thing is, I let my son down by sending him to a school full of predators.

Lake View Elementary School 5

Posted April 18, 2011
The staff members at Lake View school are committed to meeting the needs of each of our students. We have wonderful, supportive families that are dedicated to working together with the Lake View staff to achieve a positive and successful elementary environment. We continue to build a strong educational foundation for our students through our focus on positive behavior and rigorous, differentiated curriculum. I hope to enjoy many more years of service within the Lake View community!

Posted October 03, 2009
Hardworking families and committed learners and dedicated, creative teachers.

Lake View Elementary School 5

Posted December 14, 2004
This school Is great. How would I know maybe I know because I go to school there. I spend 180 day in school. It may not be the 'most challiging school' but the people are so nice. The techers are friendly and smart. Mrs.Sweeny the principal plays 4 sqare at rescess with all the kids. Lake View is the only elementry school that has Swing Chioir. This school is the best!

Lake View Elementary School 1

Posted May 24, 2003
Madison Metropolitan School Distrist and Lake View Elementary School have lost the ideal of what an elementary education should be, the three R's. This school puts so much emphasis on being politically correct, making sure no child is left behind and in general, turning the place into a Mister Rodger's Neighborhood. My daughter is in the fourth grade and still counts on her fingers to do simple arithmetic operations. Her writing is seldom edited by her teacher, there is so little homework, it's difficult to know in what direction learning is taking place, much less any progress. In spite of what I consider a categorically poor education, she get's stellar reports. Standard is too low. Too much time is spent on fluffy activities like Weird and Wacky Day, the Talent Show, Swing Choir, Pajama Day, Popcorn Day, Donut Day, Bring Your Pet to School Day, Halloween party... Anything but a serious encounter with academics. The school budget for Madison is $308 million for one year. There are 25,000 students, so that's over $12,000 per student per year, and the school board is crying for more money in a referendum. One of the board members says the schools are on the brink of destruction!!! On top of this, permission slips are being sent home to go on this outing, or this field trip, or ... At the bottom, the schools have their hands out for $5.00 here, $3.00 there, $25.00 now. Throwing more money at the schools will not solve the problem. Get back to basics, Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic. Please.

1802 Tennyson Lane, Madison, WI  53704
Last modified Lake View Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.