Posted January 16, 2014
Our son started Kindergarten this year in the DLI program at Leopold. We are thrilled with the quality and compassion of the teaching staff and absolutely love the principal. Most importantly, our child loves going to school and as a parent, that's all I ask for. I would also like to add, that if you are close-minded and don't want your child making friends with children from different ethnicities, then this school isn't for you. My son is learning invaluable lessons and making great friends many of whom look very different from him, which is a bonus!

Leopold Elementary School 1

Posted December 19, 2013
We are new to the state and can only hope and pray this school is not a good representation of MMSD as a whole. We will be moving out of the area next year for the sole purpose of getting away from this school. Between the huge pile of worksheets that come home every Friday (this appears to be the only method of education employed) and the multiple physical assaults on my child with subsequent disinterest/apathy from all faculty and administration, I'm hard pressed to isolate the worst quality of this school. When you walk in to the school from the parking lot you are overwhelmed by the rotting, putrid stench of the dumpsters that sit by the sidewalk. And it only gets worse from there.

Leopold Elementary School 4

Posted September 12, 2013
My twins started 4k this fall and the absolutely love it. The teachers are warm and nice and make every child feel special.

Posted August 12, 2013
We have been very happy with Leopold. The Dual Language Program is amazing and my children have received all the support and resources they need to succeed.

Posted August 11, 2013
My third child is starting kindergarten at Leopold this fall. Each and every experience has been fantastic. Supportive and interactive staff, low student to teacher rations, a welcoming environment, and a fabulous principal. We are looking forward to another great year!

Leopold Elementary School 4

Posted August 08, 2013
I feel like this school gets a bad reputation from a time long ago. We have had a great experience so far. Teachers and staff are caring and engaging. The DLI program is exceptionally great. If you have doubts, squash any rumors by scheduling a tour of the school and see for yourself.

Posted November 12, 2012
We have 2 kids at Leopold and nothing but good things to say. There is great communication from the principal, the teachers are wonderful and truly committed to the children, and there is an active PFO. Our kids are happy and really enjoy school. The school is actively involved with the community through open school house and school fundraising events. This is a well-rounded school that strives to meet the needs of all students. I love the diversity of students and interests within the school. This is a great elementary school!

Posted November 09, 2012
I have two children at Leopold and one more to go next year. Our experience at Leopold has been wonderful! The classes are small; our kids have never had more than 18 kids in a class through 3rd grade (sometimes as few as 13), and no more than 21 through 5th grade. In addition, there are many staff, volunteers and aids in the classrooms so ratios are always low. Despite its large size, Leopold has a strong community feel where administrators, teachers, and parents know most of the kids by name. The facilities, although some of the district's oldest, are well maintained. The halls are quiet and behavior is kept in check. The school was recently recognized as a School of Distinction by the Wisconsin PBIS Network for outstanding work in implementing Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS). My children have always been academically challenged by their teachers, and resources are available when needed. Overall, an excellent school.

Posted August 03, 2011
This school strives to integrate minority students and their families into the educational process more so than other schools in the state. Minority parents have expressed feeling that teachers make a genuine effort in involving them in matters pertaining to their children's education. This is especially true of the ESL teachers. This is an example that more schools should emulate.

Leopold Elementary School 3

Posted May 10, 2011
I recently toured Leopold with principal, John Burkholder. I found him and his staff very friendly and approachable. He has worked a lot with the city of Fitchburg and community to improve Leopold. The classroom numbers were small and the play ground was large with new updated fields and equipment with many adults to supervise. I think the voluntary duel immersion program is a great educational option. My children have yet to enter school but I found that the personal tour and online video really helped me appreciate this school.

Leopold Elementary School
2602 Post Rd, Madison, WI  53713
Last modified Leopold Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Leopold Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top