Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

The teachers are effective. There are just far too few of them. They spend all of their time putting out fires instead of teaching the students.

Amount of homework: Disagree

1 page, about twice a week. The teacher never looks at it. The instructions in the homework are a joke. They are pages, printed off the internet and then copies on a copy machine. The teachers usually haven't even looked at what they are handing to the students. On numerous occasions I've found blanted errors in the homework... like they sent home page 2 which couldn't have been done without page 1... or obvious math errors in the examples. I brought all of these issues up with multiple teachers and they all said "Homework really isn't something we look at anyway, don't bother with it."

Develops character: Disagree

The school doesn't develop much at all. The teachers barely have enough time to prevent the school from catching fire much less teach the kids anything.

The school is total Chaos. I've stopped in on numerous occasions to see dozens of 1st, 2nd, 3rd grade kids milling around in the hallways unsupervised. I've seen fights break out with no adult to stop them, kids jumping off of furniture, throwing hard objects. The problem is there's a few very poor neighborhoods nearby, so there are a lot of disadvantaged kids. Which is fine... but the school administration refuses to staff for that. After numerous complaints, meetings will all levels of the administration and a community petition signed by dozens of parents they finally hired 1, part time person. That's it. The problems persist, there is little to no communication with the families and it's only a matter of time before a child is seriously injured here. The principle is completely clueless and doesn't even seem to think unsupervised 7yr olds is a bad thing.

The rumors exaggerate the truth. Of course there is bad behaving students, there is in every school, but really the issues are resovling themselves. There is such a casual feel to this school but yet it is strict. Everyone has some sort of sense of humor, expecially the staff and teachers. I will be going into my third year at Toki, and I have learned so much in the classroom and outside of it. I think leaving Toki for highschool will be the hardest goodbye

I think toki middle school is an excellent school. We have many clubs and after school clubs. Another thing we have is awesome teachers. They always try to help you, and do the best they can to do that. The classes here I personally think are very educational and helped me learn most of what I know in math,science,language arts, and social studies. So if you live in the Akira Toki middle school area I think you should immediately sign your child up to go to school here.

Two of my 3 children were able to take advanced math options at Toki starting in 6th grade. And I know a number of students that were/are able to take math at Memorial. Toki will definitely work with students that NEED more challenging classes; however, if a student will do better in a regular level class, they aren't afraid to make that recommendation. Having a solid base understanding is better than over-challenging a student that isn't ready for it and will probably make the student happier (and more successful) in the long run. I commend the Toki staff for having the confidence to suggest doing what is best for the student.

The behavior problems at this school interfere with the teaching to a degree that is appalling. The only advanced math available is from a volunteer from the community. The administration seems clueless--they're just trying to keep the kids from killing each other.

I am a parent of 2 students currently at Toki. They both have been happy there. The school has had rapid changes in student demographics, staffing (including a new principal several years ago), and MMSD philosophy/initiatives. Many prospective parents ask about student safety but my kids have not had any issues there. There are some disruptive students and I think the school could deal better with that, but they are working on it. The principal is really gung-ho about expeditionary learning and that is still a work in progress--hard to tell how it will turn out in the end. This is a very diverse school in many ways and I think that is a plus. Staff has been receptive when I have brought up concerns, and they are actively working on improving offerings for learning for advanced kids. There is also an AVID program to help kids who are maybe on the edge of being able to go to college, to prepare for that starting now in middle school. Parents who don't have kids there yet seem to have a fearful attitude toward Toki and seem surprised when I say that our family has been happy there. Other Toki parents have had the same experience.

Toki Middle School Has Been An Outstanding Educational Experience For My Son. Toki Has Afforded Him To.Grow Academically, Socially And Personally. The Teachers Are Fantastic At Relating Learning In The Classroom With Real World Experience. The Atmosphere Is Always Positive With AWe Can Do It Attitude. I Love The Diversity And TheEmphasis And Celebration Of All Cultures. The School Definitely Prepared My Son For His Next Step To High School.

Last modified Toki Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.