Posted September 05, 2014
Two of my 3 children were able to take advanced math options at Toki starting in 6th grade. And I know a number of students that were/are able to take math at Memorial. Toki will definitely work with students that NEED more challenging classes; however, if a student will do better in a regular level class, they aren't afraid to make that recommendation. Having a solid base understanding is better than over-challenging a student that isn't ready for it and will probably make the student happier (and more successful) in the long run. I commend the Toki staff for having the confidence to suggest doing what is best for the student.

Toki Middle School 1

Posted September 04, 2014
The behavior problems at this school interfere with the teaching to a degree that is appalling. The only advanced math available is from a volunteer from the community. The administration seems clueless--they're just trying to keep the kids from killing each other.

Posted May 13, 2014
I am a parent of 2 students currently at Toki. They both have been happy there. The school has had rapid changes in student demographics, staffing (including a new principal several years ago), and MMSD philosophy/initiatives. Many prospective parents ask about student safety but my kids have not had any issues there. There are some disruptive students and I think the school could deal better with that, but they are working on it. The principal is really gung-ho about expeditionary learning and that is still a work in progress--hard to tell how it will turn out in the end. This is a very diverse school in many ways and I think that is a plus. Staff has been receptive when I have brought up concerns, and they are actively working on improving offerings for learning for advanced kids. There is also an AVID program to help kids who are maybe on the edge of being able to go to college, to prepare for that starting now in middle school. Parents who don't have kids there yet seem to have a fearful attitude toward Toki and seem surprised when I say that our family has been happy there. Other Toki parents have had the same experience.

Toki Middle School 5

Posted April 29, 2014
Toki Middle School Has Been An Outstanding Educational Experience For My Son. Toki Has Afforded Him To.Grow Academically, Socially And Personally. The Teachers Are Fantastic At Relating Learning In The Classroom With Real World Experience. The Atmosphere Is Always Positive With AWe Can Do It Attitude. I Love The Diversity And TheEmphasis And Celebration Of All Cultures. The School Definitely Prepared My Son For His Next Step To High School.

Toki Middle School 3

Posted April 28, 2014
My son is in 6th grade at Toki Middle School and I love it, so far. I love the fact that the teachers are willing and eager to help the students and if there is an issue they are too helpful to see how a resolution can be implemented to get it corrected.

Posted April 28, 2014
Both my children have been happy with this school. They have teachers they really like and who care about their needs. There are some struggles, such as children who disrupt classroom time, but the teachers are responsive and the principal is willing to try new ideas/programs such as Expediatiary Learning and partners with community resources to give children additional resources.

Toki Middle School 1

Posted June 29, 2013
I hate Toki Middle School, the teachers don't know how to handle a class and they don't know how to teach, I learned NOTHING in my two years there and I am elated that I am finally going to a different school. Most students that go to Toki have behavioral issues but Toki doesn't have enough teachers to handle them, and there are way too many students per teacher. This year two of the teachers that were actually good teachers are leaving making the school an even worse place to be. The Unified Arts department is under funded and when I went there the orchestra room was a tiny room at the back of the school, they have moved the orchestra room but now both the orchestra and choir are in the are in the same room. I highly advise parents not to send their child/ren there.

Toki Middle School 5

Posted May 29, 2012
The teachers are absolutely fantastic, each and every one of them. I am pleasantly surprised by the school spirit at Toki! My daughter loves it.

Toki Middle School 3

Posted September 04, 2011
I have had three children over 9 years attend Toki. My first child had a great experience-the teachers were incredible, all students were held to high standards, and the Principal and Support Staff were highly regarded. Over the years the leadership has changed so much, that most of the excellent, experienced staff and support staff have left or have been reassigned. It is now an NCLB "school in need of improvement" and we considered applying to other schools with our youngest. However, she loves her teachers, most of whom are very young, but it is obvious that the expectations for ALL students academically and behaviorally is not at all at the level it was for my oldest. It is now trying to adapt a specific curricular model...probably at the expense of the quality of behavior and low reading scores.

Posted September 29, 2010
great, enthusiastic staff. We just went to back to school night and I was very impressed with curriculum/expectations and the staff . Very happy 6th grade parent. My daughter loves going to school every day.

Toki Middle School
5606 Russett Rd, Madison, WI  53711
Last modified Toki Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Toki Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top