Madison, WI

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 28, 2015
The teachers at this school are burned out, unhappy and yell at kids. The teachers that are good, are few and far between. The building is not conducive to learning, it is overcrowded.

Van Hise Elementary School 1

Posted July 28, 2015
Teachers are burned out. The building is not conducive to learning. The principal is very defensive and unable to create a growth oriented environment. The student make-up has changed with school choice and there are students from bad areas that bring a very poor attitude to the school. VH used to be a good school, but things have changed for the worse.

Van Hise Elementary School 5

Posted July 20, 2015
Felt a sense of community at this school. The principal was very involved and teachers were compassionate. My children wanted to participate in school related events and when I attended school ice cream socials and school carnivals, I begin to appreciate the school. The only thing I wish they could change/improve is the drop-off, pick-up system. Before and after school can be a complete zoo! My children have a diverse group of friends and attending VHE has given them broad cultural knowledge. My sons and I are African American. I appreciated there being a wide range of races and backgrounds at this school. You won't find it at many schools in Madison.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 20, 2015
My son was a "difficult" child in a sense. I guess you could say that he didn't fit into the "mold" as some would say. With the help and collaboration with the teachers, volunteers and principal, we developed plans to help him succeed in school. I appreciated it very much! There was constant communication and I felt very good about my child attending Van Hise. I have another child that was older and attended Van Hise and was a "normal" kid. He enjoyed the students and staff. Overall I think that my children had great experiences at Van Hise. I have to disagree with some of the parents on here that spoke negatively about VHE. I really felt a sense of community here and made lifelong friends. My son now attends a different school and misses VHE very much. The principal and several teachers have contacted me to see how my sons were doing and I feel that they genuinely care about my children. We've moved around and I'm from Madison and we've attended several schools in MMSD. I can say that VHE is the best school we've been to.

Van Hise Elementary School 1

Posted June 14, 2015
This school has a great reputation in the area; however, I was extremely disappointed with the low quality of teaching staff, low quality building, unprofessional staff and school bullying that was going unnoticed. Don't let the test scores of the school fool you. This school draws an academically inclined study body of local university professors, medical doctors, and other professionals that have children that are academically inclined. However, if your child has additional learning needs, this school is unable to provide a free and appropriate education. They have a "one size fits all" mentality that does not meet the needs of individual students. If you ask questions of staff or the leadership, they become extremely defensive and are unable to be objective about making changes. The staff personalize any type of feedback and are not able to use feedback as a learning opportunity to grow and change. They retaliate against your child if you disagree with their methods. I did a surprise visit one day and found that there was an extremely hostile environment towards certain kids and the teaching staff were "unaware" of the horrible environment. They did not address bullying nor find a way to keep all kids included. The grounds around the school are beautiful. However, the school is overcrowded. This school needs a complete overall.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted June 14, 2015
Teachers have never assigned homework and send home an email with a blanket statement, read for 15 minutes per day. There is no individualization to the teaching and learning.

Develops respect: Disagree

Posted June 14, 2015
They allow students to bully and don't allow those that are being bullied to defend themselves.

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted June 14, 2015
No, I hear teachers yelling at students and showing no compassion. This is not acceptable.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted June 14, 2015
There was favoritism and bias against or for certain students. Staff was not able to use feedback to make changes or be open to changed. This is a very closed system and very rigid.

Van Hise Elementary School 5

Posted May 13, 2015
We have been a Van Hise family for years and have had a great experience. The teachers are incredible, dedicated people who I feel genuinely care about my children reaching their educational goals as well as their personal well being. The garden is amazing and my kids love learning about what is growing and being a part of the natural world. As a parent, there are so many opportunities to get involved and we have enjoyed that aspect as well. The school PTO is innovative and are very creative in the ways they raise funds for the extras the school needs. Not to mention that their events are so much fun for everyone in the family!

4747 Waukesha Street, Madison, WI  53705
Last modified Van Hise Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Van Hise Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top