Milwaukee, WI

Posted February 17, 2015
I currently attend Golda Meir as the first freshmen class, and I have to say that Golda Meir is really not changeling. I do agree with other comments that they are treating us like we are middle school, this school is expected for us as freshmen to understand the concepts we are taught. I also agree with other comments that are given that 73% of people are failing and will not pass the 9th grade. There are only about 20 freshmen that had a 3.000 and above and that's pathetic. When coming into the Golda Meir, I taught it will be changeling. The middle school is great, but the high school is countuiously going down. Its not what I expected. There are 8th graders coming into high school courses and classes, like who does that. Also, many 8th graders who are high in academics are now learning that the high school is weakling and they are considering going to Rufus King, or the more higher up classes. I continue to try to make Golda Meir reputation the best, but I think Its what other people do. This is the first year of freshmen year and the beginning of a new high school. I honestly think that we can do better, and try to build this school, but its not easy. We can do better!

Golda Meir School 1

Posted January 05, 2015
I currently attend Golda Meir as a freshman, and although there is a great reputation, it is not that good of a school. I came into Golda thinking it was going to be a really good school, but within about two months I was proven wrong. I understand that the school sounds good, but as a student it isn't. I believe it's around 73% of students that are failing, and will not pass the ninth grade. That's terrible, especially for the title we're given. The staff, especially administration, treat us like they treat the middle school students. That's one reason for immature behavior. Students are also incredibly disrespectful, especially to teachers. This school has too many expectations that we're not going to meet. Another problem is that we have basically no classes or electives to choose from. I understand that it is a part of being the first freshman class, but that sort of ruins the high school experience for me. Due to what everyone else was saying about Golda Meir, I had such high expectations but this school is terrible. The middle school is fine, but the high school is not. I'm definitely looking into attending a different high school next year.

Posted October 03, 2014
I'm in the eight grade this year at Golda, and I'm loving it! Our school gets free hot lunches which are delicious - You don't hear that often. The teachers are engaging, and our projects are fun. I've learned a lot within these 3 weeks already.

Posted September 15, 2014
I accepted a teaching position with Golda Meir School this year. I consider it a privilege to be working among these obviously dedicated and knowledgeable staff members. Principal Carter is clearly one of the top administrators in her field. In my 15 years of teaching experience, I have not met a more communicative and action-oriented administrator. The students and staff seem to truly respect her. Having worked in other MPS schools, I can report that these qualities, which she exhibits so expertly, is not the norm within MPS. Like with every school, parents/guardians need to find a school that best "fits" their needs. I have reviewed the data and Golda has regularly produced average grade- level scores that are much much higher than those of the more famous top performing high schools (keep in mind that Golda only went to the 8th grade last year). This school encourages abstract thinking and independent work. Students that are still developing skills/traits such as completing homework every night, asking for assistance when needed, respecting diverse opinions or successfully transferring in-class material to the community at-large... may struggle at first.

Golda Meir School 1

Posted September 03, 2014
I have been unimpressed with this school and its staff over the past few years. My child was removed and put in a new school due to the lack of teacher/parent communication and it is an eye opener. He is currently struggling academically to compete with the other children in his grade level. Coming from a school like "Golda" who was giving him good grades makes me wonder if Golda is simply another case of what was occurring in the Georgia area, pushing kids through to meet their standards so funding won't be reduced and they can maintain their "gifted and talented" mantra. Let's keep it real Golda, you're no longer the best of the best!
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 18, 2014
its definitely a school, thats for sure. :u its a school that tries to do a lot of stuff differently, and sometimes that can be a problem. generally the kids are full of personality, and ive met some of my best friends there. they also give you a lot of homework... sometimes the teachers gave us projects after projects and barely graded us on it, so thats a fault too. i guess its a good school? its not heavenly, but ive learned stuff and i havent succumbed to horrible depression yet. its definitely an eventful place, and some of the teachers are really cool! ...and dont be off-put by my typing, they definitely teach you proper english. :P

Posted July 01, 2014
Golda Meir School is overrated. I was a student there in 2014 in the 7th grade and left because of how the students act and how the administration treats the middle school like babies. The administration does not let us have independence which causes the students to act immaturely. At lunch half the time we were not allowed to talk or sit by our friends because the staff did not like the noise. Note that our lunch room was right next to the gym which caused all of the noise. We also were not allowed to get out of our seats for any reason. In the academic area, we were never informed of our grades until the report card. The report card is not your normal abcdf system, it is a standards based report card. IT SUCKS! You are being cheated out of your work and this report card will haunt you in the future! There also is no GPA so you really don"t know how well you do in anything. The elementary school is the best, but after 5th grade leave and go to a suburban school district or private school. Do not let the reputation fool you. The middle school is bad. The high school wont be an fun either. -Submitted by a Student

Posted July 01, 2014

Posted May 30, 2014
Golda is such a great school learning wise and after school activity wise although i am not going to say it is a perfect school it has its flaws. Children are some what disrespectful and lacks personality. I will say Golda is molding children to be the perfect American which I will say is not as necessary because these are children. Also, Golda overwork the children and never really gives them a break. I hope my child will have an exceptional high school experience in the 2014-2015 school year. Also, if your child goes to the middle school they are automatically accepted into the high school. ~ Outside Viewer~

Posted April 10, 2014
Golda Meir has not lived up to its expectations. The past 3 years have been a reocurring nightmare! I originally sent my child to this school on a teacher recommendation and decided to select it because of its blue ribbon status. However, it has been a great disappointment. The current principal is combative and non-responsive to parental needs. You're lucky to get her to respond to a simple email! The teachers rarely update parent assistant so there are times when you have no idea where your child is throughout the year. When you ask them directly, the answer is always FINE! What exactly does that mean? Emails to teachers often go unanswered or they take days or weeks to respond. There are absolutely too many children in the classroom and children with academic or behavioral issues seem to absorb all of their attention so other children are left behind or have no idea what to be proud of. The district needs to re-evaluate this school and their grading system as grades often aren't reflective of your childs progress or current status. In summary, this will be my childs last year at this school and I wouldn't recommend it to any prospective students.

Golda Meir School
1555 North Doctor Martin Luther King Junior Drive, Milwaukee, WI  53212
Last modified Golda Meir School is a Public school that serves grades 3-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Golda Meir School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 27 reviews. Top