Milwaukee, WI

Posted November 05, 2011
My husband and I couldn't be happier with this school! Garland has a community feel to it where everyone respects each other. Very much a family feel! I feel this is the best school MPS has! The older kids interact very well with the younger kids and almost treat them as their younger siblings. Everyone knows each other; teachers, students and parents alike. I would and do reccomend this school to everyone!

Posted February 18, 2011
When you walk into Garland Elementary you belong to a family. My children WANT to go to school. The teachers and staff are always positive, friendly and continually looking for more ways to better our school. The principal works closely with parents; encouraging involvement in school activities. Parents find time in their day to volunteer on a normal basis. Teachers not only know the students strengths and weakness, but take the time to get to know them as an individual. Kids grow attached to the teachers because they treat them as real people, show that they care and always go the extra mile to make learning fun. Garland test scores reflect the dedication and enthusiasm that radiate from each classroom. The hallways showcase the kids achievements and the after-school rec program allows children to learn skills outside of the classroom. Tucked away in a small corner of Milwaukee, this six time winner of the WI School of Promise Award, shines brighter than any other school in the district. Each student takes pride in their school and education. Send your kids here...you will not be sorry!!

Posted January 04, 2011
We have been more than happy with Garland School; our son has is presently in the 5th grade and has attended since K5. Garland staff members are truly committed to providing a wonderful learning environment for their students; so many go above and beyond what is expected and parental involvement in the school has always been high. We are thoroughly pleased with the education our son has received and only wish the school didn't have to suffer through so many budget cuts over the years. Garland is a fantastic elementary school and we highly recommend it. Our only complaint is that it only goes to 5th grade--we would LOVE for it to go up to 8th!

Posted January 11, 2009
This school is simply the best! And all I can really echo is the 'above and beyond' care the staff puts in to make sure they excel in everything they do. My son has been there since k4 and he's finishing this year which does make me want my 2 yr old to hurry up and get in there for k3!

Posted October 21, 2008
I have to disagree with the posting on May 10 by another parent. Some new safety restrictions have been put into effect -locked doors, parents need to sign in and wear a visitor's badge, but if you read/watch the news, you'll know these are wise decisions to keep our children safe. Garland School continues to shine and provides my kids with the type of excellent education that I thought only wealthy suburban areas could provide. I feel welcomed and informed by all the staff from the secretaries to the teachers to the cleaners and my children are truly happy here. I feel the school goes above and beyond their call of duty to help me and my family. I couldn't be happier with my choice of schools. I only wish there were more schools just like this one so every child could have a positive experience.

Posted May 10, 2008
Rhis school is not what is use to be. Starting with the new principal. She is rude and unfriendly to both students and parents. The staff was a caring staff and some still are but many have started to slip. Most of the core staff is nice but have problems with the way the school has started to spiddle down. It is a true shame that this once very wonderful school is starting to be just another MPS disaster.

Posted April 05, 2008
My daughters simply love it here! The staff is supportive and greatly understanding! I only complain that they only go up to 5th grade, so we'll have to find another school soon!

Posted October 04, 2007
Excellent school, one of Milwaukee's best kept little secret. This school is tucked away in a small community and it's perfect. The staff is great the teachers are committed to the students overall well being. My son has excelled beyond all my expectations!!! Love the school!!!

Posted February 17, 2006
Since enrolling our daughter in first grade at Garland, we have been pleasantly suprised to find that this small school, buried in a quiet neighborhood, is quite an outstanding educational facility. The staff is always pleasant and seems to really enjoy working at this school. If we drop in for a visit in the morning or afternoon, we find the principal, Ms. Maegli, out in the halls, smiling and enthusiastically involved with the student body. Our daughter truly enjoys going to school each day and is terribly disappointed if for some reason (e.g. illness) she can't be present. There is a tremendous aqmount of parental involvement here as well. The very diverse student body learns about a great many cultures and all seem to interact quite well. The teaching staff just seems to have such a positive outlook toward all of the students from all grade levels. This is a far cry from the MPS schools we remember from 40 years ago. It would be difficult to find a private school that provides this kind of environment; to find it in a public school is truly wonderful indeed. For anyone looking for an elementary school in this area of Milwaukee, we would definitely recommend Garland as being one of the finest schools available, public or private. If we had to describe a drawback to this school, it would be the fact that students beyond the fifth grade level have to move on to a different school.

Posted January 30, 2006
My daughter has special needs and has been in the mps system for 4 years. This past year at Garland has been a marked improvment from last several years within the MPS system. This school have a very committed PTA, which is evident in all the groups after school programming. Garlands principal is visible, accesible, and involved with all my childs 'special' considerations. The small little school is truly a leader in the mps system. I would definetely recommend this school for anyone considering Garland Elementary School.

3120 W Green Ave, Milwaukee, WI  53221
Last modified Garland School is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garland School Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top