Humboldt Park School

Charter | PK-8 | 582 students

We are best known for reading program & technology.

Sweep tile

Posted December 17, 2012

very diverse, active in the students & families. Weekly parent letters/ emails.... Great school! My daughter loves it, as well as the staff. When your child is eager about "school" during middle school grades, must show this school is a plus!!!

Posted May 18, 2012

If I could add extra stars I would; the staff and climate at Humboldt Park K-8 has been the perfect start for my son's journey into public education. We could not be more pleased with the K-4 program. Mrs. Schemling is an amazing educator and the support staff and related arts instructors are just incredible.

Posted August 26, 2011

I am both a parent of a child entering first grade (that has attended HPS since K4) as well as a teacher there. I am extremely pleased with the education that my daughter is receiving. I have seen her grow academically and socially. The staff is highly motivated and our administration is constantly looking for ways to improve and stay up-to-date. I especially love that my child is able to be immersed in a diverse multicultural environment. HPS is more than a school. We care about our students, their families and the surrounding community. It is a great place to work and an amazing school.

Posted May 25, 2011

This is a great school that I recommend to all parents/guardians seeking a good environment for their child to learn in. The curriculum is challenging but not to hard, and the teachers provide a great support group. i am a 6th grader I most certainly am getting the best education that I could hope for here and I owe it mostly to my superb teachers. A great example of this is my math teacher gives us tests based on our performance in class. And twice a year we get this thing called a thinking adventure where we explain our thinking process on a specific problem. Aside from our academics, our physical education is wonderful as well. In my opinion this school is most definitely deserving of the five stars I gave it.

Posted February 27, 2011

They have a diverse mix of students at this school but they all have the resources to excel here. My child attended K-4 through 1st grade. Each class had 2 fully certified teachers through 3rd grade. He has a strong foundation for the years ahead. He may never ~ in all his life ~ find such wonderful teachers again.

Posted July 16, 2010

I'm an Ex student from humboldt park, I loved it there. I attended Hunboldt since I was k4 thorugh 7th grade. This would've been my graduation yea, but I moved to a different school. Everyone is so nice at the school and are dedicated into teaching your students how to learn! Teachers are there to get the job done! I wouldn't recommend it for middle schoolers though, the school is to small and needs a lot more opportunities. I love how diverse the school is and how focused the teachers are about teaching children not only the subjects, but also ways of not being bullies, what to say, and the outside world too. The only thing I had a problem with was how the bullying was dealt with, nobody really solved it and it would continue to bigger cliques then before and it wouldn't get solved and I didn't feel safe.

Posted March 10, 2009

I have two boys attending Humboldt Park School and we love it. The staff is dedicated and caring. They encourage strong parental involvement. It is a Charter School focusing on Technology. The Direct Instruction curriculum is effective and well implemented. Technology is integrated into the curriculum whenever possible. There is a strong focus on Restorative Justice Principals and Love and Logic Techniques which has led to improved academic performance and improved student behavior. I am proud to say my children are receiving an excellent education and learning to become responsible members of our community at Humboldt Park School.

Posted January 28, 2009

I am a proud Humboldt Park parent. My kids have attended HPS for five years now and think of their peers, the staff, and other parents as their extended family. My children enjoy an engaging curriculum, nightly homework designed to reinforce skills and knowledge learned during the day, and great after school and family activities. When one of my twins started to struggle and fall behind his brother in reading, the school diagnosed the problem quickly and provided him with extra support and tutoring for a short period of time. That little extra support and attention got him back on track and increased his confidence. My twins are treated as individuals and held to high expectations. As a parent I am provided with information and realistic tools I can use at home to help my kids continue their learning outside of the classroom. In turn, my kids teach me new things everyday. In Milwaukee, I have a lot of educational choices and HPS continues to my first choice!

Posted June 27, 2008

My daughter has been here since K5. I transferred her from Dover. I love the DI and find that she is excelling academically because of it. She loves school and her teachers all have wonderful, positive things to say about her as well. I love the fact that this is a K8 school and I don't have to look for a middle school that is up to my standards for my daughter. She will be there until she is ready for high school. The principal is second to none. I love the fact that he is INVOLVED and that is a definite understatement. (I do miss the former principal too.) The staff take pride in their work and they LOVE what they do and that definetly shows and it comes through our children. I am not so concerned with the school not having competitive sports, there are alternatative programs locally. A+

Posted March 30, 2007

I have been very pleased with Humboldt Park School. My daughter is in K4 and she absolutely enjoys going to school everyday and loves her teachers. Every day she comes home and shares stories with her Father and I of what she has learned. All of the encounters that I have had with HPS Staff have been positive and pleasant. The first time I explored HPS I was very impressed with the Staff, Student & Parent involvement. I absolutely love the diversity of the school. They have a great curriculum that incorporates many ethnic cultures. HPS also offers CLS before and after school extracurricular activities. Overall I feel HPS school is a safe, positive, and warm environment for my daughter to receive her education.

Posted February 17, 2005

I think that Humboldt Park is a fantastic school. I have dealt with other schools and feel that HP is superior. The academics are good. I know, from personal experience, that the material learned is more advanced than even some of the suburban schools. My daughter takes violin and loves it. My son is involved in sports. The only problem I have is the lack of competitive sports between other schools and HP. There are many CLC programs to choose from. Many parents are involved in the school. The is a high attendence rate for after school events. I totally disagree with the parent saying that HP is an awful school. Their negative attitude does not fit in with the highly positive attitude found at HP.

Posted October 20, 2004

You really neeed to see the curriculum in action. Take a tour during the day, the staff loves to show what they are doing. Direct Instruction is so strong and allows children at different levels to thrive. Take a little time to learn about DI and you will want nothing less in a program. The staff is very dedicated. I did a lot of research and I feel lucky to have such a strong neighborhood school.

Posted September 26, 2004

This school is awful. I have one child at Humboldt and I am very dissapointed in the curriculum. I was thinking of sending my youngest child there but after sending one child there I think I have had enough. As soon as this school year is over I am pulling my child out and putting him in a better school.

Posted January 1, 2004

The curriculum is fantastic. I have two children at Humboldt. The Direct Instruction curriculum is outstanding. They also use trditional math instead of the new new math used by most of MPS (Investigations). Research the techniques used at the schools you are interested. Whole languauge and fuzzy math do not make any sense to me, that is why I love the traditional approach Humboldt Park uses. The Principal is excellent.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 35% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Wisconsin used the Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS), which includes the WKCE and WAA, to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in math and reading, and in grades 4, 8 and 10 in language arts, science and social studies. The WSAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Wisconsin. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level. In private schools, only voucher program participants are tested.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 33% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 36% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 54% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 35% in 2013.

46 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 38% in 2013.

56 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 61% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 46% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 42% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

All Students52%

Not economically disadvantaged51%
Proficient in English36%
Non-migrant20%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group. Subgroup scores for each school are only reported for students who were enrolled as of the fall enrollment count. The All students score includes results for all students who took the test, regardless of when they first enrolled in the school.

All Students68%

English learners50%
Proficient in English91%
Non-migrant78%

Source: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

What makes up this rating?

Academic rating
5 / 10
Climate rating
7 / 10

This school's GreatSchools Rating is based on academics (90%) and climate (10%). The academic rating measures students' test scores, academic growth and college readiness. The climate rating measures safety, cleanliness, parent involvement and more.

Learn more about our methodology

What is the new GreatSchools Rating?

Rating legend
Below
average
Above
average

Our rating (from 1 to 10) reflects a school's overall performance. The higher the rating, the more likely the school will prepare your child for the future, so choose an above-average school (8-10) if possible. For average schools (4-7), do careful research and look for evidence that the school has high-quality programs. For below-average schools (1-3), take caution; a low-performing school may not provide the instruction or environment your child needs to learn, and you may need to supplement classroom lessons at home.

Academic rating

The academic rating is made up of equally-weighted parts: students' test scores, their academic growth (for elementary and middle schools) and their readiness for college (for high schools). The graphs below compare this school's results in each area to other schools in the city and state.
Overall academic rating

Test score rating 2013*
City
Learn more about this school's test scores »

Student growth rating 2013**
City
Math growth
Reading growth

*Test scores are based on the 2013 WSAS results from the state of Wisconsin.

**The academic growth rating measures how schools affect student test score improvement over time in reading and math. This data is from 2013 and is provided by the Value-Added Research Center and Milwaukee Public Schools.

Climate ratings

This rating encompasses five elements of school climate: safety and cleanliness, respect and relationships, expectations for students, teacher collaboration and support, and parent involvement. This school's climate ratings are the result of GreatSchools' analysis of teacher survey data from the Spring 2013 School Climate Survey developed by Milwaukee Public Schools.

We rated schools on …

Keeping things safe, clean, and orderly.

This rating evaluates a school's environment, based on its safety, order, cleanliness and more. More highly rated schools have well-kept facilities and a safe environment conducive to learning. Schools rated poorly may have a chaotic environment, conflicts among students or even theft or violence.

Creating healthy, respectful relationships.

This rating measures whether the school has a positive learning environment and cultivates an atmosphere of respect. At a school with a higher rating, it's more likely that the school's culture celebrates hard work and learning, students treat their peers and teachers with respect and class lessons reinforce character strengths such as kindness and tolerance. A school with a lower rating may have a weaker learning environment or allow disrespectful behavior.

Promoting high academic expectations for all students.

This rating sheds light on the academic expectations that teachers have for students. At a school with a higher rating, educators are more likely to stress academic success, ask kids to work hard and expect kids to be college-bound. At schools with lower ratings, it may be more acceptable for students to put in average or minimal effort, perform poorly on tests and lack strong academic goals.

Supporting its teachers.

This rating indicates how teachers feel about their school's professional environment. At a highly rated school, teachers are more likely to work well together, learn from one another, have opportunities for professional development and feel supported by the administration. At a school with lower ratings, teachers may not interact much, feel appreciated or have much input in school decisions and policies.

Informing and including families.

This rating reflects how much communication parents can expect from this school. A highly rated school is more likely to have regular communication (e.g. newsletters, emails, and meetings) between administrators, teachers and parents. This may include information about student progress, homework help and volunteer opportunities. At lower-rated schools, parents may not get regular updates and may feel less welcome at school.

White, not Hispanic 37% 73%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with valid license 99%N/A98%

Teacher resources

School leader's name Georgia A Becker
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
French
German
Spanish
Tagalog
Thai,
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Regional Math Competition (2011)
  • Regional Science Competition (2011)

Special education / special needs

• Special education
Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Science

Language learning

Foreign languages taught
  • ESL stand alone program
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
  • Intensive - the school offers a full program for many languages and/or offers at least one very comprehensive program school-wide for at least 25% of our population
Foreign languages spoken by staff

School start time
  • 7:45
School end time
  • 2:30
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Georgia Becker
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 4 years old
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• Tagalog
  • Thai,
Extra learning resources offered
  • Remediation
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
Transportation options

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Chess club
  • Cub scouts
  • Girl scouts
  • Student council/government

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
  • Parents are involved in our parent community teacher council, volunteer in numerous capacities throughout the school year, volunteer at events such as movie night, open house etc, are involved in parent classes for our hmong parents, love and logic classes, teach classes such as knitting, harmonica etc in our after school community learning center, volunteer for our teams such as basketball, soccer etc. our community partner is journey house and we have a very active school governance council as part of our charter school status. parents are also very active with our community through the school parent/teacher association.