Posted March 16, 2014
The high school is separate from the middle school they have two separate buildings and administrations Great Schools should designate as such.

Posted December 13, 2013
My daughter is in her junior year at King. In a sense, King is a school within a school where all students are expected to achieve but there is a clear path for those that are particularly focused. By junior year, students branch off into higher level classes, particularly in math or science. That's when the rigor really takes off and students are in a classroom of like-minded peers supported by talented teachers. Yes, it's an old, urban public school so it's no frills - no salad bar or heated pool. But the extracurriculars are extensive and there are many opportunities for competition using your brain, not just sports. King graduates are recruited by top colleges due to high ACT scores and the well-rounded approach to IB education. King kids are different, they are in an urban school and interact across broad cultural and economic experiences. Despite all of the competition, the kids support one another and are proud to boast about a colleagues "perfect" ACT score or free ride to Madison. They are in it together. One wish: Superintendent Thornton, please leave the high performing schools alone. Take the best of what they do and replicate it where possible.

Posted October 08, 2013
My daughter has attended King since 9th grade she's now a Sr. I have no issues with the staff and their leadership. Academically they push the students to strive to do above what is required of the average student. I think that is going to help the students better adapt to college life. My concern is King ranks well on paper but in my opinion they have the same issues as schools that are not up there academically.

Posted August 10, 2013
I go to Rufus King Highschool and im not all into school spirit but I really do love my school. It is very diverse and brings challenges to students like myself, who find the curriculum in other schools too simple. Other mps students find Rufus King students "stuck up" because we work hard and take pride in our work. Just like every other school there are some idiots who act out, but that is inevitable.

Rufus King International School 3

Posted July 25, 2013
I wouldn't say the Middle Year Program is bad but its really difficult in the 6 grade. The teachers was really unorganized with work, tests, homework,and the students are really full of themselves, ignorant, and you know what I mean, i'm not trying to be mean but they wanted to their stuff their own way, last year they made the Art teacher cry, they were all up in drama and fights, it was really really ghetto. Though the classes are really much of a help, I took tutoring for math and science and it raised up to a B and C, I recommend taking the tutoring classes or ask the teacher for extra credit. My last GPA was 2.5 and I barely pasted music, the teacher for music was gone so they replaced a new one but he was horrible, he gave me a U and wrote review that said I didn't turned in my worksheets, it doesn't mean you have to give me a U for not turning in ONE project. any all the school is very bipolar but I might recommend going to a other school if you dont think the school is perfect for you child, its a IB school though so you may learn more, the highschool is good choice to get into a college or to get a diploma (im a 7th grader)

Posted February 01, 2013
My oldest sister goes rufus king high school and from what I heard it's really a good school.

Posted December 08, 2012
Nobody don't have any bad reviews about the high school. But all the bad reviews are towards the middle school campus is horrible. Everyone has good reviews about the HIGH SCHOOL CAMPUS. The high school campus is filled with harvard-type students who wants to learn. I worked at the middle school campus and it was HORRIBLE. FIGHTS ALMOST EVERYDAY and over-crowded classrooms. But at RUFUS KING- HIGH SCHOOL CAMPUS IT'S WHOLE NOTHER STORY. I worked at other MPS high schools and it was NOTHING like king high school. Rufus King high school is a challenging academic focused high school and all of the students are HIGH CLASS. Many students get excellent grades in my class. They are so focused on getting prepared for college and their near future. Rufus king is a really awesome school. I advise ANYONE to apply here.

Posted November 10, 2012
I really love Rufus King and there has not been ONE fight as far as I seen. The teacher's teach very well when giving the lecture. Some parents don't want to send their children here because of the neighborhood it's located in. But parents DO NOT have to worry about that. This school is racially diverse (Hispanic, Asian and caucasion) and it is VERY mixed with all cultures. Nobody has had any problems with the neighborhood. Rufus King is such a good school and I hope that they continue to ONLY accept children who wants an education and with excellent behavior. This is the BEST MPS school to send your child to. 29 students at BAY VIEW high school got arrested, riverside has a lot of fights (Even though it has a good reputation), Hamilton has a lot of fights, and vincent high school has a lot of fights. But if you want to send your child to an excellent high school in the milwaukee area. I advice REAGAN and KING a choice. I wish the best for this school and that it continues to stay the way it is currently performing. I LOVE RUFUS KING AND I COULDN'T FIND ANY BETTER HIGH SCHOOL. As an ASIAN, I think that it's great that Rufus King has an ASIAN CLUB.

Posted November 01, 2012
RUFUS KING HIGH SCHOOL is not comparable to the Middle school campus at all. There are two teachers in one class at once, so the student-to-teacher ratio is very excellent. This is my daughter's freshman year and she loves it. She lives in west allis, wisconsin and she gets transported nearby. The school offers transportation in a lot of milwaukee areas. She says that there's never been ONE FIGHT just yet. This school is just excellent, despite the neighborhood it's located in. She has a 3.500 GPA. I am very proud of rufus king and I regret not sending my other children here. The school also educates students with a lot of different ethnicities.

Posted October 28, 2012
The new leadership is very knowledgeable about what it takes to manage an IB program, as well as sensitive to the needs of students in the city. He has a vision for not just the two campuses that are considered to be one school but for what is possible in the IB world of MPS. The teachers are committed before, during and after school. They make themselves available to students and are accessible to parents. Many attend school sporting events and show their support financially as well as in person. The level of work is well at the college level and will provide students the lead they will need to succeed beyond high school.

Contact Information

1801 W Olive St
Milwaukee, WI 53209

School website

Rufus King International School
1801 W Olive St, Milwaukee, WI  53209
Last modified Rufus King International School is a public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rufus King International School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews.