Milwaukee, WI

MacDowell Montessori School 4

Posted August 14, 2015
This school was once in the trenches. Since the move to the beautiful new campus there has been some growing pains, but overall the school and teachers are good and have been growing. Yes the negative posts below are from a teacher who is bitter and resentful. I actually know of her and she is mad because after the building switch many many families left because they didnt have transportation to school. They had to let go of some teachers. She was not happpy it was her. She vowed to try and take the school down in revenge. The other post i believe is from a family that switches schools often finding faults in everyone. I have a k5er there going into first grade she was nurtured and cared for she is now reading and writing. She is super independent and people often comment on her being polite, smart , cultured and helpful.They do art, gym , music. I now have a k3er there and her teacher is great too very loving amd compassionate. Its like a big family and yes the middle school could use work but with the elementary part being excellent we as a school can now focus on the middle school loving them and getting them to where they need to be. We have volunteers that have been working with them. The teenagers here are mostly good. No big fights or anything unsafe actually they hold open doors and coo over the little ones. The principal is always around interacting with students she actually cares for her students often going above and beyond what any normal principle does. I also love the diversity here. My daughter is of mixed background and she has so many peers that are the same. I know some parents who really wanted a diverse school. And here we found that. My kids have also done the camp it offered my daughter's a much needed break from the Montessori classroom. The camp director runs a tight ship but the kiddos love her and often run to give her a hug in the morning. I love it and Im not the only one.I also volunteer at least once a week so I am around. If your looking for a warm nurturing school with a good academic program and a place to be involved, and contribute to change and success give the school a tour.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 02, 2015
This is a Montessori school, so homework is not a huge part of the curriculum. If you want your kid to do loads of homework every night - this may not be the school for you.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 02, 2015
A lot of these kids came to the school with these qualities, as it's an urban public school. MacDowell does a great job of harnessing the positive aspects of these qualities while softening out the edges that can sometimes come along with coming from a less than ideal background.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 02, 2015
I recently attended the school picnic, where the adolescents were helping to serve hot dogs. I was so impressed with their manners and patience toward all of the children and families

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 02, 2015
All students look out for and take care of one another. Compassion amongst the student body is one of the things I love most about MacDowell

Posted June 02, 2015
My daughter attends 3k here and we have been nothing but impressed by the kindness and professionalism of the staff. Our daughter has made significant academic gains - reading and writing as a 4 year old! Additionally, many parents volunteer and care deeply about all of the children at the school. Reading the negative reviews below - I agree that it appears that one person has written them all. Come and tour the school - see all the amazing things going on! We're proud to be a MPS and MacDowell family!

MacDowell Montessori School 4

Posted May 31, 2015
Don't get me wrong, MacDowell is an excellent school for our youth. It all goes downhill when the student reaches around the 7th grade and are in the adolescence section of the school. The students are bad, disrespectful, don't make smart decisions and just overall aren't that great. The elementary and upper elementary programs at MacDowell were/are great and I really enjoyed it a lot. Great teachers, nice and safe environment and really fun. Now, never did I state in my review that the staff was terrible. The staff are honestly what make the school great and I really like them. I've definitely learned a lot in the adolescence program, more than I have in the upper elementary. If you want to take your child here than by all means go ahead and do so but I recommend that you take them out and put them into a new middle school. PS. this is for the review below me. : ~ )

Posted May 10, 2015
I read the reviews and it sounds like one person writing them all the negative reviews...seriously do you think students are on here writing reviews! I have watched my child grow as a result of this school and teachers. In comparison to other kids her age she is above average...She started at 3 and was reading by 5...now at 6 she is adding and subtracting thousands places!!! The teachers are great and the vice principal is awesome! She also goes to camp and I have heard the camp director yelling at students...but with his reason. The whole thing about the school is being family and the whole village raising your child...So the camp director is like mom when mom is away...maybe she will be the reason your kids stay out of trouble...which is lacking in most mps schools. I feel good knowing someone will keep my child in check when I am not there. I think this is an awesome school!

Posted October 10, 2014
I would like to address two concerns that a poster made. First, the test scores of ALL schools in the state significantly went down because the state increase the proficiency levels, so that accounts for much of the reduction in proficiency rates. Also, the state discontinued the WKCE after last year because it was not an accurate measure of student knowledge. Based on the 2013-2014 MAP scores, our Seniors had the highest reading scores in the district and the third highest math scores (only scoring behind King and Reagan).

Posted October 10, 2014
The second point: In regards to the concern about the amount of work time, this is the first year that it was implemented. The structure is more like college. The instruction time functions as a lecture. The students come to the lecture space, and the teacher does a presentation about the concepts that the students are expected to master that week and assign the homework. The work rooms are not just a standard "study hall" that most of us remember. There are generally around 8-12 students in a workroom at a time and never more than 20. Also, there is a certified teacher in each of workroom who makes sure that the students are on-task and to provide individual or small group lessons when students need help. Since we implemented the new structure, student work completion has significantly increased and student discipline issues have become nearly non-existent. It's amazing how much student behavior changes when you shift from: "you must work on math now" to "you have math, English, and science work. What are you going to choose to work on right now?" I would suggest coming in to see it. I was really supportive of changing to this structure, and it has exceeded my expectations.

6415 West Mount Vernon Avenue, Milwaukee, WI  53213
Last modified MacDowell Montessori School is a Public school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
MacDowell Montessori School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top