Posted September 12, 2014
This school has such great potential but it is not run as a Montessori school. Almost one third of the teachers left but it was not because of the students. I hope that this is wake up call and that things will change.

Posted September 10, 2014
Some of these teachers lie. Five teachers at the high school left and my teacher told me three or four more left from upstairs. History art English math special ed teachers. all gone. More teachers are talking about leaving. They aren t retiring. They went to other schools.

Posted August 25, 2014
The former teacher clearly embellished the numbers off staff who left. They stated that 10 staff members left when it was really only 5 out of 30. That includes a retirement and someone who moved out of state. I also strongly suspect that this disgruntled former teacher wrote several recent 1 star posts posing as students and parents. I love this school and wouldn't work anywhere else.
4 people found this helpful

Posted August 24, 2014
This school is not at all a good school. I was luckily able to leave for my last year of middle school and this year I am going to a different school. This school is not clean, it's unsafe, smells bad very often and the education isn't all that great. If you want to bring your child to this school, do not. I repeat, do not! It's terrible.

Posted August 23, 2014
I was one of the ten staff members that left MacDowell. I, like some others, left because of concerns regarding the safety of staff and students, continued poor academic achievement, and a serious lack of leadership in regards to communication, follow-through, professionalism and vision by the current principal. There used to be a solid staff at the school (at all levels). Now some of the highly qualified staff have left due to the disruption of having a principal whose skill-set does not meet the many demands of principal position. Staff members have documented their concerns to the MPS School Board and to MPS administrators. Due process is a lengthy process. Serious changes need to occur in that building to make sure students are receiving the very best MPS has to offer. If you have concerns regarding this administration (or any staff member) please contact MPS Central Office or your School Board representative. Previous negative comments by other community members in this forum document what I have personally seen and/or have reported.
5 people found this helpful

Posted August 13, 2014
I'd give Macdowell a 0 if I could. I dreaded everyday of this school and sadly, I have to return for my last year of middle school. As a student I can tell you that the review before mine is point on accurate. I would not recommend Macdowell to anyone that is serious about their child's education as well as their safety.
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 10, 2014
I agree with the person who posted regarding the staff yelling at students. I have heard the screaming of the after school "camp" director from OUTSIDE of the building. We pulled our son out of the school. The camp program is nothing but movies in the library. The woman who runs it will be the first tell you that the program is not Montessori and according to her, no one can make her DO Montessori. The older kids swear constantly and the security do nothing but hangout with the kids at the front desk. Seriously. Why would you need three security guards all sitting behind the front desk?Why don't they say anything when the kids are yelling profanity down the halls. It's true about the principal always being on her cell phone! We wanted quality and compassion - MacDowell didn't have that.
4 people found this helpful

Posted May 01, 2014
The best staff are leaving this school as if it were on fire. Principal never returns emails or calls. If you stop in to speak to the principal, you will have to ask her to stop looking at her cell phone. If you are thinking about enrolling your student here, don't. Visit the office and you will hear the vice principal screaming at students- SCREAMING!
3 people found this helpful

Posted August 28, 2013
I am a former student who first attended MacDowell in the early 90's. I have stayed connected with the teachers, fellow classmates and Administration throughout my high school and college careers. I am a recent graduate of Alverno College and I contribute my collegiate success to the educational roots I established during my years as a Montessori student. For traditionally educated parents, the Montessori method may be hard to understand and that is apparent by the previous comments regarding the children "playing with blocks and making bead necklaces." These tasks, although they may seem irrelevant, are actually strengthening the child's hands to hold pencils in the future and developing their concentration skills. I would not recommend this school to parent's who do not do their research on the Montessori curriculum as a whole. When the time comes, I will be sending my own children to MacDowell because I feel that the quality of Montessori education is high, the student body is diverse and the teachers care about their students in a way that goes far beyond the classroom. Base your decision about this school on your personal research, not how up-to-date their website is.

Posted January 30, 2013
I am a Alumni. I am now in the 10th grade. I loved MacDowell when i was there and still do. My 2 nefews go there. I now attend the #1 school in the state (Rufus King) and i would recomend it to anyone who wants their kid to not only learn when their being taught a lesson but independently.

MacDowell Montessori School
6415 Mt Vernon Ave, Milwaukee, WI  53213
Last modified MacDowell Montessori School is a Public school that serves grades PK-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
MacDowell Montessori School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 23 reviews.