Streetview?fov=70&size=130x130&location=8400+w+burleigh+st,milwaukee,wi+53222&sensor=false&client=gme-greatschoolsinc&signature=co3zoxe9xvg4btki5yyjxqfvtrk=

Milwaukee School of Languages

Help this school win $5,000
by posting a review

Milwaukee School of Languages 5319164 4

Posted October 08, 2013
My sister attended this school 2005-2009 and during that time I enjoyed the different activities they provided for the families so they can see what the children are learning during school. Due to those positive atmosphere & staff I decided to send my oldest daughter to MSL and now she is a junior. The only negative but major thing to me is that they had changed the grade that they will accept new students. Since I wasn't able to attend parent teacher conference last year I missed the information on when they were excepting early admissions and the information wasn't sent with report cards. So I am very disappointed that years of waiting for my youngest daughter to get in 6th grade that she's unable to attend MSL due to the lack of information from MSL and Craig Montessori. I hope that they will change the grade level for acceptance back to how it use to be when my sister started going there which was 6th or 9th grade. A lot of Milw. Public high schools have been displaying nothing but negative atmosphere and teachings it is going to be hard to find a high school for my youngest daughter to attend when that time comes. PLEASE CHANGE THE GRADE LEVEL FOR ACCEPTANCE TO 6TH & 9TH GRADE

Milwaukee School of Languages 4995319 1

Posted June 30, 2013
I am student their. I just finished my sixth grade year and i am going into seventh grade next year. Even though I have only been their a year, the school sucks.The kids get popular is by having sex and fighting. I am a german kid and their are the class clowns in our class. But we do not have any popular kid. Sometimes we think we are just their for the awards we win. Plus all the german kids help them get top school with their wkce and map testing scores. All the other kidd just play a fighting game 30 seconds. Do not send your child here.

Milwaukee School of Languages 5178587 3

Posted June 29, 2013
I was highly excited by the prospect of my son attending this school for his entire middle and high school years. As he progressed through his first year here, I became increasingly disappointed. I feel that, with the exception of a few teachers, there was a limited amount of communication, especially as it related to student progress and possible interventions for struggling students. It would have been helpful if some teachers had syllabi or course plans, or even just simple assignment requirements posted on that underutilized website of theirs. This would have gone a long way towards student success in my opinion. Further, not much is offered in the way of interventions (I.e. mentoring, tutoring) for students who are not special ed. Upon visiting, I was rather disappointed at the class sizes, and the seeming laissez faire attitude towards the middle school group in general. I realize that this is a difficult grade band, but they are not being prepped well for future success-these kids needed guidance in terms of notetaking skills, study skills, etc. and all they have is a big calendar that is supposed to address all that. I expected more from a school that is so highly praised

Milwaukee School of Languages 5123964 2

Posted May 04, 2013
The school overall is good, but, the younger kids are just rude as ever to teachers and their monitors. This is supposed to be an immersion school which you USED to get in via a test to see how strong your language you going to study is. Now we getting kids from other schools that been kicked out, just like that. The security guards there barely listen to the radios and sometimes turn it off. I have been there since 6th grade and graduating this year and this school is going in the toilet when c/o 2013 & 2014 leaves. MSL has lost their integrity as an immersion school.

Milwaukee School of Languages 5058841 1

Posted February 27, 2013
I was a student there from 6th to 10th grade and the school was not decent at all. The students didn't care about the learning or the teachers. They believed that they could do what ever they wanted and they did not act responsible or respectful to anyone. I was bullied there for years and the only way it stopped was when I swung back. The teachers are great and always want to teach and make the best of the year, but the students don't care and stop everything that they have planned. The other problem with the school is that the teachers have no bite. When bullying takes place, they are supposed to have a conference between the two students. You can bring the issue up to the teacher or the principle and no action would be done.

Milwaukee School of Languages 4966125 3

Posted November 03, 2012
i am a student who currently attends MSL. I am a 8th grader and i am highly disappointed. the only chance of having great teachers is if you went to an immersion school, if you didn't then you won't have the best teachers. i did not go to an immersion school and when i was in partial Spanish i hated it. it was impossible to learn because of the disruptive students. i knew Spanish very fluently because i spoke it at home and learned it there. when i switched into the full Spanish class there was a major change. i could actually learn and it wasn't super noisy. its a bad middle school but decent high school. your child would only benefit from this school is if they went to an immersion school or know french, Spanish or German fluently so they could be in the full immersion class. Japanese is offered there and the classes are great! by seventh grade your child will know how to read Japanese hirigana and by 8th grade they will know katakana. In my opinion the Japanese teacher is a excellent teacher better than the partial Spanish teacher. This school treats the immersion students like favorites. immersion students get to go to foreign countries but partials don't.

Milwaukee School of Languages 4960764 2

Posted October 27, 2012
I was a student as MSL for several years and I am very disappointed in the school. There are always problems with the students either not paying attention or that they think that they don't have to listen to the teachers. The staff are great but they can't teach their students everythuing they can because of the students that just don't care. The lunch was terrible, disipline was a pain, and there were not many choices for extra classes, like there was no home ec. or cooking or anything. You can't even start partial Spanish if you are fluent in another language taught there. I left the school to enroll in Muskego High School.

Milwaukee School of Languages 2129813 5

Posted June 04, 2012
My daughter will be completing 8th grade next week. She has been there since 6th grade and will stay through high school. I am extremely pleased with this school. She will continue with her German and now will be taking Japanese for the next 4 years. The school also does an excellent job with the "basic" courses. It is our neighborhood public school so she is able to walk there. So many parents do not want to send their child to an MPS school. All I can say is that they are truly mising out on this small "hidden gem."

Milwaukee School of Languages 4817079 4

Posted June 03, 2012
I am a tenth grader and personally I believe the school is better than most. I've been going to this school since 6th grade. There are always the few who ruin a good thing for people who really want something but we'll never be rid of them forever, right? The one thing I wish I could change about this school would be lunch. For one, it's MPS lunch so it's automatically gross, but we only have 20 minutes to eat.

Milwaukee School of Languages 3556011 1

Posted February 28, 2012
You just made my point thank you. If you like your school then you should not care what other people say about it. Best of luck to you, I hope you are going to college.

GreatSchools, Inc. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2014 GreatSchools Inc. All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

Milwaukee School of Languages
8400 W Burleigh St, Milwaukee, WI  53222
Milwaukee School of Languages Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 42 reviews.