Milwaukee French Immersion School

Public | PK-5 | 445 students

We are best known for instruction in French, diversity, and parent involvement.

Sweep tile

Posted April 2, 2014

To the parent who commented below about the comments being falsified to make the school look good online: Milwaukee French Immersion IS a great school, hands down. I believe most of the comments are around the same day because at one of the PTA meetings it was brought up that the parents could go online and rate the school. I believe a bunch of us went out that very same day or the day after and wrote our reviews. The comments are mostly positive and the school rated as 5 stars because it a great school. Great staff, multicultural student population, awesome opportunities, and of course the benefit of your child becoming bilingual. Our school test scores continue to be above the average of other schools, and those test are given in English, which says a lot, factoring in that the students are taught in French all day. I urge you to give it a try. You will not be disappointed.

Posted April 2, 2014

I'm a parent of a K-4 and 2nd grader at MFIS. I'd like to respond to the comment that it is suspicious that all reviews were submitted to Great Schools on 1 day. I understand your feeling. However, the school does a wonderful job of communicating to parents. One day parents and staff shared the message, "Please visit Great Schools and share your school experience." So everyone probably responded right after that. It certainly would be better if Great Schools would ask us to submit our real names. That would be fair. If you really want to know about the school, I suggest taking a tour and/or ask if any parents would be willing to talk to you about it. Good luck finding the right school for your child. Best regards.

Posted April 1, 2014

Most of the 5 star reviews were all written on the same day which is suspect.I don't want my children attending a school that will falsify their information just to look good online.

Posted February 9, 2014

Our school is simply amazing. Kids get a global view, language immersion, diversity, and so much more. All three of our kids are so happy we picked French Immersion, and we are happy with the results. The high rate of parent involvement is just an added bonus!

Posted February 9, 2014

My husband and I are both teaches and we believe MFIS provides an outstanding education for our children. Even though we live two blocks from a solid neighborhood school in Wauwatosa we believe MFIS is the best choice. It is a diverse school, not only in people but in thoughts. Students engage in hands-on learning experiences. Teaching is driven by what is best for students not by standardized testing. The school encourages parent and community support and involvement. We couldn't be more pleased, thank you MFIS!

Posted February 9, 2014

We so love MFIS! We have one daughter attending currently and are sending another for school year 2014-15. Excellent and caring teachers and staff. We also the love the diversity that this school offers our children!

Posted February 9, 2014

I currently have my (2) daughters in K4 and K5 at MFIS and we nearly put them in a private school because of our nervousness around the quality of the MPS system. I think the Immersion schools are in a league all their own and i'm so happy we made the choice we did. We LOVE our daughter's school, the beautiful diversity of their classmates, and how engaged and open minded my children are about new experiences at such a young age. Would still love to see the school get more sports/activity resources for the school, but they recently added basketball and African dance which is great! Choose MFIS, you won't regret it!

Posted February 8, 2014

MFIS is an awesome school - This is our 4th child to attend and the experience has been wonderful. Our children have and are receiving a top notch education with the added bonus of immersing themselves in a second language. What a joy it is to see our younger children understand what our high-school children are saying in French. Bravo MFIS Staff and Parents for your dedication and commitment to excellence.

Posted February 6, 2014

As a parent and a former student, I am living proof that this rich 35 year old program works! Some of the same staff are still around as well as fantastic new teachers (some former students as well). My children have had the privilage to have two of my former classmates as teachers! The parent envolvement is top notch and so many people are always willing to help! The school leader and the entire staff are very pationate about helping all of our children succeed. Students learn French naturally and are still able to score above average in English standardizes test. All in all, this is a school your kids will want to send there kids. I know because I did!

Posted February 6, 2014

I have 2 children who attend MFIS & they love going to school every day! We live in the burbs & have excellent schools which are within walking distance from our house but my husband & I chose MFIS for our kids so they can be fluent in two languages, by 4th grade, & have more opportunities in a competitive global workforce, plus it's just a fabulous school & community. The teachers & staff are compassionate & very hard working. Several of the teachers are former MFIS students & many teachers send their kids to MFIS which is very 'telling' of the amazing environment & excellent curriculum at MFIS. My daughter (2nd grade) reads French & English books to her younger brothers (K5 & age 3). Our 3 yo son who doesn't go to MFIS yet is even picking up words & phrases in French from his siblings. Our K5 son was struggling with his fine motor skills at the beginning of the year & we voiced our concerns to his teacher who has worked closely with him in the classroom to improve his handwriting & coloring. MFIS is more than school - it's an incredible community with passionate parents & staff, kids who want to learn & excel & a principal who is a top notch leader, advocate & educator.

Posted February 6, 2014

When I first toured the school, I was told that some refer to the school as the Milwaukee French Immersion FAMILY. How accurate! One of the best decisions I have made for my kids is to enroll them in MFIS. I first enrolled my daughter (4th grade) when she was in K5 while we were City of Milwaukee residents. I now live in a suburb of the area with a school a block and a 1/2 away and still choose to send my kids (K5 and 4th grades) to MFIS. The teachers and staff are so welcoming and engaging while the parental involvement is truly amazing. It really feels like a family. My heart skipped a beat the moment I heard my daughter in a full discussion (in French) with another teacher in the school. While the French component is great, the school also offers violin, piano and dance lessons, along with other extra curricular activities. When I tell people about our school, I'm asked, "what do you pay for tuition ?" I am proud to respond with "$0". I LOVE my public school.

Posted February 6, 2014

Milwaukee French Immersion is quite simply an incredible school . The staff is extremely dedicated and devoted to the students . The immersion program itself is extraordinary and something one would only expect to see in an exclusive private school . I have two children at mfis and can't recommend it highly enough.

Posted February 6, 2014

Milwaukee French Immersion School is the perfect school to send your child to. It has all the qualities of a traditional elementary school, and the added advantage that the students learn French naturally through the immersion program. I have 2 children currently attending MFIS, one in 2nd grade and one in K4. I have been very happy with the teachers. I feel that they are communicative, interested, and invested in the students in their class. I wholly recommend this school to anyone searching for an MPS school for your K4, K5, or 1st grade child.

Posted February 5, 2014

Our school is great. Our parents and teachers are very engaged. It is a nurturing, caring and relatively strict environment that is a great fit for our daughter. We have loved all of her teachers and the administrators. This is a very high qualify MPS school.

Posted February 5, 2014

A gem in the city of Milwaukee. The opportunity to learn a second language, almost naturally, isn't common in this country. It really provides students with a unique and entirely useful experience.

Posted February 5, 2014

Milwaukee French Immersion school is a fantastic program. For free, students become bilingual. This is where I went to elementary school, and now I am a teacher there. Being bilingual in French has opened many doors for me in my life. I love speaking and teaching in French. My goal is to share my passion for French with my student daily.

Posted February 5, 2014

I'm so glad my children attend this well diverse school. My kids are meeting children from all socio/economic strata and from many different cultural backgrounds particularly from French speaking African countries. I am so pleased with the current principal's cheerleading and "go get 'em" spirit. The parents, I have met, are so involved and devoted to the school's mission statement and goals. My four year old is already counting and singing in French at home. I speak French also, so I know that he is using the French in the proper context. It's very exciting! I've already started saving for my two children's trips to France in fifth grade. My first grade daughter is learning to read in French first, but I can tell she has already taken an interest in learning to read in English and it's quite good! So far, what I have seen with staff participation is amazing especially during extra school hours and celebrations! They take pride in their school and students. I get a real family feeling there. Everyone knows everyone and have made some great connections. I feel truly proud to be a part of such a great school and community.

Posted February 5, 2014

Teachers go far and beyond to help children succeed , the family environment and amount of caring is awesome !

Posted February 4, 2014

MFIS is far and above what I would have expected. The teachers are passionate, the kids love the curriculum and the parents are friendly, helpful and very welcoming. The school has a strong sense of both community and mission and both of my kids love it. It's the kind of school that reminds us what public schools are capable of.

Posted December 12, 2013

MFIS is a great way for your child to be immersed in another culture and learn how to respect their classmates, the cultures of others and understand that everyone is unique and special in their own way. The new leadership at the school has terrific ideas on improving the school even more. I love that the school has an active PTA and invites all parents to come and share their ideas on bringing in more extracurricular activities and providing after school celebrations, such as Mardi Gras. My child never complains about going to school or the curriculum. Her teachers have both been extremely creative to make the learning environment fun and motivating. Definitely a top pick for any parent looking for an exceptional elementary school in the Milwaukee or Wauwatosa area.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 35% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Wisconsin used the Wisconsin Student Assessment System (WSAS), which includes the WKCE and WAA, to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 10 in math and reading, and in grades 4, 8 and 10 in language arts, science and social studies. The WSAS is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Wisconsin. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level. In private schools, only voucher program participants are tested.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 77% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 50% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 33% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 52% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 36% in 2013.

All Students37%

Not economically disadvantaged57%
Proficient in English32%
Non-migrant32%
Scale: % proficient or advanced

The different student groups are identified by the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. If there are fewer than 5 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group. Subgroup scores for each school are only reported for students who were enrolled as of the fall enrollment count. The All students score includes results for all students who took the test, regardless of when they first enrolled in the school.

Language Arts

Not economically disadvantaged54%
Proficient in English50%
Non-migrant50%

Source: Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction

What makes up this rating?

Academic rating
7 / 10
Climate rating
Not available

This school's GreatSchools Rating is based on academics (90%) and climate (10%). The academic rating measures students' test scores, academic growth and college readiness. The climate rating measures safety, cleanliness, parent involvement and more.

Learn more about our methodology

What is the new GreatSchools Rating?

Rating legend
Below
average
Above
average

Our rating (from 1 to 10) reflects a school's overall performance. The higher the rating, the more likely the school will prepare your child for the future, so choose an above-average school (8-10) if possible. For average schools (4-7), do careful research and look for evidence that the school has high-quality programs. For below-average schools (1-3), take caution; a low-performing school may not provide the instruction or environment your child needs to learn, and you may need to supplement classroom lessons at home.

Academic rating

The academic rating is made up of equally-weighted parts: students' test scores, their academic growth (for elementary and middle schools) and their readiness for college (for high schools). The graphs below compare this school's results in each area to other schools in the city and state.
Overall academic rating

Test score rating 2013*
City
Learn more about this school's test scores »

Student growth rating 2013**
City
Math growth
Reading growth
Above average

*Test scores are based on the 2013 WSAS results from the state of Wisconsin.

**The academic growth rating measures how schools affect student test score improvement over time in reading and math. This data is from 2013 and is provided by the Value-Added Research Center and Milwaukee Public Schools.

Climate ratings

This rating encompasses five elements of school climate: safety and cleanliness, respect and relationships, expectations for students, teacher collaboration and support, and parent involvement. This school's climate ratings are the result of GreatSchools' analysis of teacher survey data from the Spring 2013 School Climate Survey developed by Milwaukee Public Schools. Unfortunately, this school didn't provide enough survey responses to generate a climate rating.

Black, not Hispanic 62% 10%

Master's degree and above 18%N/A55%

Teacher credentials

Teachers with valid license 100%N/A98%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
PE instructor(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • PBIS School of Distinction (2012)
  • PBIS School of Distinction (2011)
  • Wisconsin Promise School of Recognition (2009)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Other health impairments
  • Significant developmental delay
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

School start time
  • 9:10 am
School end time
  • 3:50 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Gina Bianchi
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (414) 874-8415

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Immersion

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by staff
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)
  • Tutoring
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Culture Classes
  • Girl scouts
  • Robotics club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Neither uniforms nor dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Run Parent Tours
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor