Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)

Great team who encourages parent involvement, great focus on standards, great focus on science and math and a great balance with extra curricular activities. Diversity, language and test scores were the reasons why we chose this school and it has more that exceed expectations.

I am a current parent of three kids at MFIS. Overall we have loved our experience at the school with excellent teachers, staff and administration. There is a wonderful sense of community at MFIS and access to this high level French language instruction in a public school is almost unheard of. We feel extremely lucky to have our kids there. There have been some bumps along the way for sure and they are always met with open ears and constructive ideas to help work them through. i encourage you to go visit the school!

I am a former MFIS student and now I am proud MFIS parent. My daughter graduated from MFIS last year and is now in the 6th grade at the Milwaukee School of Languages. Her teachers in middle school advised that MFIS has prepared her very well for Middle school and she is excelling at Math in French! My son is in the 4th grade at MFIS, he has a lot of friends and loves being on the basketball team. I find that the school has the same welcoming environment as it did when I went to school there. The leadership and staff work tirelessly to preserve the authenticity of the school and to continuously improve every single day!

My son has been at Milwaukee French Immersion since K4 and is now nearing the end of 5th grade. Throughout his school career at MFIS, the staff have gone above and beyond. Many of them stay for hours after school and come in early in the morning. They truly care. The school population is diverse which is wonderful as the students get to actually learn in an environment that mimics the real world. The school offers many opportunities such as African Dance, Tap Dance, Violin, Piano, Lego Robotics, etc. Being at the school is like being part of a big family. In the last few years the administration has worked to improve the school even more, increasing enrollment from 400 to 600 plus, bringing in more programs for the students, etc. I cannot recommend Milwaukee French Immersion enough.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

The administration has been working very hard to make French Immersion an inclusive school. Students of all levels and with all different cognitive abilities are welcomed. The school has systems in place for advanced students and for students who need extra help.

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

Bullying is hard to deal with because it is often very subtle. When bullying is seen or reported, it is dealt with effectively. There are programs at school that help to teach empathy and compassion. They use the Second Step program to try and teach students how to treat each other respectfully.

Effective school leaders: Agree

A new principal always makes people uncomfortable. With a new principal comes change and most people like things to stay as they always were. I feel that the school leadership is effective most of the time. They work hard to be consistent in dealing with students and parents. They try to be fair and impartial. They work hard to keep the students positive. The current principal has a vision for the school, which is that all students can learn here. All students can learn French. Some people don't agree with having their child in class with a child who has special needs. If that is the case, don't send your child to French Immersion. It is an inclusive school that helps everyone equally, regardless of their ability or disability.

Develops character: Agree

Of course every school tries to develop integrity, compassion, and respect. I have seen wonderful moments between students who didn't know they were being observed, on more than one occasion. I have also seen some horseplay and some bullying. But the school works hard to teach its students respect, responsibility, and safety. I feel they do a good job.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

Several of the teachers at MFIS are veterans and have been there for many years. Many are new teachers. They have the disadvantage of lacking experience. But I have found that new teachers bring a great deal of excitement and enthusiasm to the classroom. Whether new or veteran, I have been very pleased with all of the teachers my children have had. Are they perfect? No. Do I sometimes have concerns? Of course. But that would happen in any school. Any issue I've come up against has been handled to my satisfaction by either the teacher or an administrator.

Amount of homework: Agree

I feel that the school has gotten a better handle on homework. Three years ago, when my daughter was in 2nd grade, she had what I felt was an inordinate amount of homework. It was exhausting for her and for me. I was dreading the time when my son would hit 2nd grade, but he's in 2nd grade now and the homework is very manageable. Mostly, it's math and reading practice. Very doable. Much better than it was.

Last modified Milwaukee French Immersion School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.